Close
Close
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Thread: Business Cards

pictorial mastermind is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Business Cards

when taking pictures of events (good way to get in free) I am often asked who am I taking pictures for. Since i take for no one in particular they will ask if i have a business card so that they can get in touch with me. And of course i don't. So i was wondering which is better, self made card or professionally done cards? And then what should go on it? any thoughts opinions or personal experience is welcomed.

waffles is offline Critique Moderator

As long as it's on good paper and well designed most people won't notice the difference.

You should have your name (obviously) and if applicaple the name of your company. Actually, not if applicable. Make yourself a name, even if it's 'Your Name Photography.' You should also have different ways to contact you. Web site, email, that sort of deal. Phone number if you don't mind people having that.

And something to make them remember you. Good image, catchy slogan, something like that.
    Canon Rebel XT or Nikon Coolpix L3. Flickr | The Photo Blog | Radio | Blog

If you're going to edit, please make your edit private. I don't want my stuff floating around in other people's photostreams.

Major_Small is offline dPS +1000 Club

I agree with waffles on the necessary data - You should probably also have some kind of portfolio as well - even pointing them to your Flickr account would be better than nothing IMO.

I don't think there's really much excuse to not have professionally done cards, as they're very cheap, but I also wouldn't think less of a photographer for handing me a card they printed up just for that. That's just me though - I would definitely get the done somewhere. I personally use MOO cards.
    Zooomr|Flickr|Big Stock Photo|dreamstime
    All work is licensed under a
    Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License unless otherwise noted. (meaning you can edit and repost my images unless I specifically ask you not to)
    All post-processing done with The Gimp

waffles is offline Critique Moderator

As far as the self printing versus professional debate goes, just ask yourself these questions.

1 - Do I have the resources to print them myself?
    2 - When I run out how quickly will I need to get more?
    3 - How many do I want to have available to give out at a time?

Obviously if you can't print yourself get them made for you. If you'll need them the next day if you're like me and run out of things faster than you think you will then printing yourself might be the choice for you, otherwise you could get them made. If you don't need a lot then it might be cheaper to make them yourself, but if you need tons then get them made.

If I had business cards (which really needs to happen soon) I would get them professionally made but have them saved somewhere on my computer so I could make more in case of emergencies.
    Last edited by waffles; 09-08-2008 at 03:16 PM.
    Canon Rebel XT or Nikon Coolpix L3. Flickr | The Photo Blog | Radio | Blog

If you're going to edit, please make your edit private. I don't want my stuff floating around in other people's photostreams.

ShepArt is offline dPS Forum Member

I recently had MOO Minicards made. I like the fact that it shows some of my photography along with my contact information. They were very easy to make using the link through Flickr.
    Kari Sheppard
    Sites: ShepArt Photography / flickr
    Gear: Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50 and a bag of lenses

tileart4you is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by pictorial mastermind View Post
    when taking pictures of events (good way to get in free) I am often asked who am I taking pictures for. Since i take for no one in particular they will ask if i have a business card so that they can get in touch with me
    This may be a dumb question, but if you are not taking pictures for anyone in particular, how do you get into the event for free? Can you just show up with camera gear and they let you in?

How does it work?

stockphotojourney is offline I'm new here!

I just got some zazzle profile cards, they rock and look very professional. I got the business card size with 2 of my pictures on it.

http://www.zazzle.com/pd/find/pt-240?sp=7
    Watch me try to earn $1000 in microstock this year Stock Photo Journey
    OK to edit and re-post in DPS forum only.

lacealou81 is offline I'm new here!

I've found some really great ways to design my own cards on photoshop. I do my own logos, etc...so it's quite easy!
    My Blog! My Flickr Stream!
    It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." -ee cummins

FedererPhoto is offline I'm new here!

edrex is offline dPS Forum Member

If you just want something cheap and easy I have always liked using Vista Print. You can use thier free business card offer and get a box of 250 for about $5-6 shipping.
    Canon 40d • 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS • 50mm f/1.8 • 430EX

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last