Close
Close
Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last

Thread: Business Cards

GEli is offline dPS Forum Member

If you do end up putting a home phone/cell number on your business card, you might start answering your phone with "So and so photography" instead of just saying hello. It adds a surprisingly amount of professionalism in the eyes of the caller, and any friends or family who call shouldn't mind too much.
    Digital: Canon 1DMkii, EF 17-40mm f/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 85mm f/1.8
    Film: Pentax LX, Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax A 70-210 f/4, Pentax A 28mm f/2.8, Vivitar 2x Teleconverter, Vivitar 285HV
    my flickr page

Liz Caldwell is offline dPS +1000 Club

Quote Originally Posted by pictorial mastermind View Post
    when taking pictures of events (good way to get in free) I am often asked who am I taking pictures for. Since i take for no one in particular they will ask if i have a business card so that they can get in touch with me. And of course i don't. So i was wondering which is better, self made card or professionally done cards? And then what should go on it? any thoughts opinions or personal experience is welcomed.
    I went through Staples.com for my business cards. I got 200 shiney color cards with a clip art picture for $20, free shipping. They look really professional, actually.
    Now with VIDEO
    Tell Liz to GET LOST!
    What a Trip... Getting Lost on America's Back Roads
    A 10,000 mile, 100 day journey photographing America's back roads and lost highways...

Zane is offline dPS Forum Member

This might come down to personal preference, but do you recommend glossy or matte business cards? I am more partial to matte myself. They seem to be less messy.

in2mtns is offline I'm new here!

I prefer the glossy. It adds a layer of protection to the card. I've found some of the matte cards we've used can easily be smudged. The glossy coating helps prevent this. We do a lot of marketing material at my place of business so we typically go professional. You can usually find good local shops that will work with you, some will throw in some creative as well.
    Nikon D80
    18-135 mm
    saving for a nifty-fifty

Major_Small is offline dPS +1000 Club

I haven't personally come across the problem that in2mtns has, but I also haven't had very much professionally printed. I prefer matte to glossy though.
    Zooomr|Flickr|Big Stock Photo|dreamstime
    All work is licensed under a
    Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License unless otherwise noted. (meaning you can edit and repost my images unless I specifically ask you not to)
    All post-processing done with The Gimp

Dizzle is offline dPS Forum Member

Since I started shooting nightlife parties and club events I have gone to the use of MOO cards to hand out there. Easy, has all contact info I want to give out and gives folks a preview of the type of photos they will find on the site once I get them processed. I order up a batch about every other event I shoot and the response has been great.

I have professional business cards to hand out to potential clients and also have the MOO Postcards as well so they can have an image of an event right there with the business card.

I use www.overnightprints.com for my cards and they do an excellent job for a low price. And they get them to me quickly.

I prefer the matte finish for my cards as it makes it easier to write on them if needed.
    Dizzle
    DeNic Photography | Portfolio | Group Blog
    Nikon D700 | 50 1.8 | 17-35 2.8-4 |28-75 2.8 | 80-200 2.8

cwphotography is offline dPS Forum Member

Well I make my own business cards. IMO, as long as you buy professional style business cards and you design the card professionally I don't see the difference. I couldn't say if it's cheaper or not making your own. But me personally I perfer to make my own business cards.
    Crystal

pictorial mastermind is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tileart4you View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but if you are not taking pictures for anyone in particular, how do you get into the event for free? Can you just show up with camera gear and they let you in?

How does it work?
    pretty much. if you look important enough people really don't question you around here.

smc1377 is offline Critique | Share My Shots Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GEli View Post
    If you do end up putting a home phone/cell number on your business card, you might start answering your phone with "So and so photography" instead of just saying hello. It adds a surprisingly amount of professionalism in the eyes of the caller, and any friends or family who call shouldn't mind too much.
    Agree wholeheartedly!

And on the subject of professionally printed cards vs home printed, I'd argue that pro printed are the way to go. If I don't know one photographer from another and I have two different cards from two different photographers who are charging about the same price, I'm going to pick the one with the professional cards every time.

If you are not serious enough to get real business cards, how can I be assured that you're serious enough to get the job done.

This doesn't apply to just photographers. If I had to different guys offering to re-roof my house and one has a home printed business card whereas another has a nice business card, I'm going to call the guy with the nice business card.

pictorial mastermind is offline dPS Forum Member

Thank you all who have replied, I have gone and put in an order for professional business cards. Maybe once they are done i can post a picture of it. lol.

Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last