Close
Close
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    majordslr is offline 9shooters Rock! :)

Default Cool article! "Vincent Laforet – The Future Of Photography Is Convergence"

Is this the future of photography?

Here's a cool interview with Vincent Laforet--one of the very first to use the Canon 5d to make a film a couple years back--"Reverie."

"Vincent Laforet – The Future Of Photography Is Convergence"
    Vincent Laforet – The Future Of Photography Is Convergence (lots of cool discussion! certainly stirred the pot, so to speak)

Rob: I want to talk with you about the post you made last week on your blog (here) where you asked people to guess the camera you used to make an image then revealed it was a frame grab from the Red Epic M digital cinema camera.

Vincent: First of all, this is not a philosophical discussion between the value of a photograph versus the value of the moving image. Because no one can win that one, there is no answer to that question. And I’m not looking to challenge either side of that argument because I find it utterly pointless. The value of a still image versus the value of a movie or a still frame from a movie means different things to many different people. Each discipline has its clear strengths depending on how each is used and for what purpose it is being used. I am just looking at emerging technology and how it could potentially affect our future.

A still image is still going to be the entry point for everything in the future.

I’m not so sure anymore. YouTube gets more than 2 billion visits a day…
    --http://www.aphotoeditor.com/2011/06/17/vincent-laforet-the-future-of-photography-is-convergence/ (lots of cool discussion!)

Vincent writes at: What camera did I use to make this still picture? Vincent Laforet's Blog

ANSWER: This image is actually a FRAME GRAB. It was not shot with a STILL camera but with the RED EPIC M digital cinema camera at 96 frames per second. For the techies: The image was made with a Zeiss Compact Prime 25mm f 2.9 , natural light, at T 2.9 , 1/200th of a second at 800 ASA in RED’s RAW R3D format – a RAW format similar to a CR2 or NEF (for Canon and Nikon users respectively.)

The camera’s "cinema" resolution is 5K – more than five times the resolution of your HD Television (see chart below)… Other than a quick color correction – no enhancement whatsoever has been made to this image. Perhaps just as importantly : there were 95 other frames that were shot EACH SECOND that I rolled on the camera… 95 other shots to choose from… shot handheld on a moving subject – not posed.
    (lots of cool discussion @ What camera did I use to make this still picture? Vincent Laforet's Blog!)

Is this the future of photography?

But I still see the Canon 5d Mark ii, Mark iii, Mark iv beating the RED EPIC/SCARLET/etc.
    Shooting Stills & HD Video Simultaneously! 9SHOOTER HD video audio stills dslr photography: The Canon-Based Nine Shooter (9shooter < $4,500) beats the Red Epic ($58,000+). . . And just wait until the Canon 5D Mark IV!
    The Canon-Based Nine Shooter (9shooter < $4,500) beats the Red Epic ($58,000+). . . And just wait until the Canon 5D Mark IV!
    Signatures aren't for advertising products.

Photoboothguy Guest

Yay, it's famed internet spammer Elliot McGucken, here to tell us about his latest bad idea.

Here's the formula. He posts a bad idea. Everyone says his idea sucks. He defends the bad idea by posting the same crap followed by a bunch of quotes from people who, if they actually knew him, would probably hate him.

He did it with a crackpot physics theory.
    He did it with a video game patent (I hope the judge actually laughed at you for that one).
    And now he's doing it with this dumb shoot-bad-video-along-with-bad-photography idea.

Can we lock this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Photoboothguy View Post
    Yay, it's famed internet spammer Elliot McGucken, here to tell us about his latest bad idea.

Here's the formula. He posts a bad idea. Everyone says his idea sucks. He defends the bad idea by posting the same crap followed by a bunch of quotes from people who, if they actually knew him, would probably hate him.

He did it with a crackpot physics theory.
    He did it with a video game patent (I hope the judge actually laughed at you for that one).
    And now he's doing it with this dumb shoot-bad-video-along-with-bad-photography idea.

Can we lock this thread?
    Hey man--criticism is cool, but it means a lot more if you can back it up with logic and reason, instead of ad hominem attacks. Please feel free to PM me to discuss my game-changing ideas regarding physics and videogames, and please focus on talking about photography and business in this thread.

After all, do you even have a degree in physics? I graduated with honors from Princeton University with a degree in physics, and received my Masters and Ph.D. My Ph.D. dissertation on an artificial retina for the blind won several awards. The great physicist John A. Wheeler had this to say about me:

Dr. E graduated Cum Laude in physics from Princeton Univeristy, receiving straight A's on all his independent research ranging from General Relaivity to Quantum Mechanics to Time Reversal Asymmetry, and he received his Masters and Ph.D. in physics from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where his dissertation on an artificial retina for the blind and enhanced holed-emitter CMOS phototransistors won several Fight for Sight grants, NSF grants, and a Merrill Lynch Innovations award. Dr. E received the Bausch & Lomb Science Award and William Tenney Scholar-Athlete Award at Firestone High, while earning seven varsity letters on the championship swimming and tennis teams. Alongside the money he earned each summer while working as a tennis pro, The Judith Resnik Memorial Scholarship (given to the top science student in Akron, Ohio in honor of astronaut Judith Resnik who passed on in the tragic Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster) helped Dr. E attend Princeton University, where he studied physics and creative writing, while working with the late physics great Dr. John Archibald Wheeler--Princeton's Joseph Henry Professor of Physics. Dr. Wheeler had the following to say about Dr. E: "More intellectual curiosity, versatility and yen for physics than Elliot McGucken's I have never seen in any senior or graduate student. . . Originality, powerful motivation, and a can-do spirit make me think that McGucken is a top bet for graduate school in physics. . . I say this on the basis of close contacts with him over the past year and a half. . . I gave him as an independent task to figure out the time factor in the standard Schwarzchild expression around a spherically-symmetric center of attraction. I gave him the proofs of my new general-audience, calculus-free book on general relativity, A Journey Into Gravity and Space Time. There the space part of the Schwarzchild geometric is worked out by purely geometric methods. "Can you, by poor-man's reasoning, derive what I never have, the time part?" He could and did, and wrote it all up in a beautifully clear account. . . .his second junior paper . . . entitled Within a Context, was done with another advisor, and dealt with an entirely different part of physics, the Einstein-Rosen-Podolsky experiment and delayed choice experiments in general. . . this paper was so outstanding. . . I am absolutely delighted that this semester McGucken is doing a project with the cyclotron group on time reversal asymmetry. Electronics, machine-shop work and making equipment function are things in which he now revels. But he revels in Shakespeare, too. Acting the part of Prospero in The Tempest. . ." --J.A. Wheeler, Princteon's Jospeh Henry Professor of Physics on Dr. E
    -from http://elliotmcgucken.com

Thanks in advance for focusing on talking photography & business here! Vincent Laforet has some cool ideas regarding the future of photography--please discuss! Thanks!
    Last edited by majordslr; 06-20-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Photoboothguy Guest

I have a Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering (which includes a few physics courses here and there) and an MBA, and my middle school glee teacher Tim Trauch said:

You are completely tone-deaf. Please lip-sync during the next concert.

While I enjoy the peeing-for-distance competition you're trying to start, it doesn't change the fact that you're a blatant, dishonest internet spammer of bad ideas. And a quote from your own website...really?

Quote Originally Posted by Photoboothguy View Post
    I have a Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering (which includes a few physics courses here and there) and an MBA, and my middle school glee teacher Tim Trauch said:

You are completely tone-deaf. Please lip-sync during the next concert.

While I enjoy the peeing-for-distance competition you're trying to start, it doesn't change the fact that you're a blatant, dishonest internet spammer of bad ideas. And a quote from your own website...really?
    You're the one trying to start a fight here, my friend. You keep attacking me, whereas I am not attacking you.

Yes--I have a lot of cutting-edge ideas which naturally meet with a lot of criticism! Photography, videogames, and physics all have a lot of technologically-savvy folks with strong opinions populating the internet forums!

The quote from my website comes directly from a recommendation penned for me by Dr. John Archibald Wheeler. Surely Dr. Wheeler's opinion regarding my capacity for physics carries more weight than yours?
    Colby Cosh saluted the late J.A. Wheeler: ―At 96, he had been the last notable figure from the heroic age of physics lingering among us. . . the student of Bohr, teacher of Feynman, and close colleague of Einstein. . . Wheeler was as much philosopher-poet as scientist, seizing on Einsteinian relativity early . . . He was ready to believe in the new world before most physicists. . .vii―
    --http://www.fqxi.org/data/essay-contest-files/McGucken_Dr._Elliot_McGucke_7.pdf
    --http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2008/04/15/colby-cosh-on-the-death-of-john-archibald-wheeler-the-man-who-named-quot-black-holes-quot.aspx

Again, I ask you to please discuss photography and business here. Thanks!

Jim Bryant is offline Stoned Cold Crazy
    2nd star to the left and straight on until morning

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Let's not start this again.
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

RLucas is offline Looking for something

It's already been reported. Let the mods sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bryant View Post
    Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Let's not start this again.
    Hey man! Yes! By heeding the rules of the forum, and refraining form ad hominem attacks, we can focus on discussing the topic at hand--the convergence of photography & video:

Vincent Laforet – The Future Of Photography Is Convergence

Vincent Laforet – The Future Of Photography Is Convergence

What camera did I use to make this still picture? Vincent Laforet's Blog

Please discuss this. Thanks!

Jim Bryant is offline Stoned Cold Crazy
    2nd star to the left and straight on until morning

I will when I return. Gotta go make some money first!
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bryant View Post
    I will when I return. Gotta go make some money first!
    rock on! make some money! here's a song to listen to on your way!

YouTube - ‪50 Cent - I Get Money‬‏

"I get money." by 50 Cent

Page 1 of 3 123 Last