Close
Close
Page 8 of 8 First ... 678
    andyw is offline Grumpy Old Man

Quote Originally Posted by bekskok View Post
    Will someone just answer the question?
    Not possible, at least not possible to give a specific dlr/pound/yen/euro figure because each and every photographer will have different costs to consider before they get to their final price.

I love it when old threads get resurrected.
    If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?

Personal work

arielstinson is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by royey123 View Post
    Why is the beginning wage of a new photographer always "free?"
    If you have a portfolio - and I know you do - they've obviously seen it. If you name your price, whether its free and charge for prints or $20 or $50 or $400 - charge what you feel your work is worth and if they like your portfolio and also feel you are worth that amount then they will hire you.
    I completely agree on this. And as a new photographer getting into the business, we shouldn't have to stay "free" until our photos are $100 or $400 worthy. Start out small and work your way up as you're experience grows. And don't forget that you're time is valuable!

You should always be confident in what you're charging. Do some research around your area and compare your photos to yours. If your costumers can get better photos done with another photographer that charges less or the same amount as you do, you're too high.

For example, I feel that I'll be ready to charge in 3 months and I'm charging $30 a session. My time is valuable (I'm a full time college student, a resident assistant, and work 2 part time jobs), but I'm still new, therefore my photos aren't as high in quality. I feel confident that I'm being fair to my customers and myself.

MelSpring is offline Just me and my Nikon D700

My advice is to research photographers in your area and see what they are charging. Find a photog who is near your ability level and price near their levels.

There are many photographers who "only" use natural light. Do learn how to use reflectors and flash as they will dramatically improve the quality of your portraits. Keep learning and don't be afraid to ask questions as we all had to start somewhere.
    Last edited by MelSpring; 11-15-2012 at 03:06 PM.

SampsonImages is offline dPS Forum Member

My opinion is to search out other photographers in your area and see what they are charging then set your prices from there, and how much you would like to earn in the venture. I did research, and there are a lot of photographers in my area that charge more than I do, and it looks like they take their pictures with a point a shoot. I have my own feelings which is why I charge less, I'm not making a living on it and only do it part time. I will say though, that I am close enough to the other photographers prices to not slap them in the face.
    Canon Rebel T3, Canon 60D, 18-55mm, 25-75mm f2.8, 75-300mm, 200mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8
    Sampson Images
    Flickr
    Facebook

LexiRose is offline Help Me Improve!

So sorry people are being rude here. It's really not okay to judge like that just because you're young, without ever seeing your work.
    I was able to find you on flickr and you are very good. The one problem is that your work lacks some expression. The subjects all kind of just stare enigmatically, which can get monotonous. Other than that, they are well-composed, focused, and over all and better than a lot of the most popular photographers in my area. Your work is worth 100$ a session definitely, but you might want to charge something more like 75 or 80 to get more work, and have more of an edge over other photographers.

Page 8 of 8 First ... 678