Close
Close
Page 3 of 8 First 12345 ... Last
    Tara333 is offline dPS Forum Member

I've read everything between the op and the last post and I have this question...where is the original poster? And I agree, if she doesn't know the basics then there should be no charge. When I was building a portfolio I charged little to nothing. Of course they were close personal friends who have since paid for my services. There are few reasons to do it for free but there is no reason to charge when you shouldn't. I hope that made sense.
    I'm a Nikkon kinda gal.
    http://mygirlphotography.com

mshockley is offline Take A Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Tara333 View Post
    I've read everything between the op and the last post and I have this question...where is the original poster? And I agree, if she doesn't know the basics then there should be no charge. When I was building a portfolio I charged little to nothing. Of course they were close personal friends who have since paid for my services. There are few reasons to do it for free but there is no reason to charge when you shouldn't. I hope that made sense.
    Agreed!, and yes, I happened upon this today, read everything and wondered the same about the original poster? But I think someone even mentioned that's part of the problem, people spend time trying to answer questions or give advise and the original person never shows up again!

Smallfish is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mshockley View Post
    Agreed!, and yes, I happened upon this today, read everything and wondered the same about the original poster? But I think someone even mentioned that's part of the problem, people spend time trying to answer questions or give advise and the original person never shows up again!
    True and it's a shame but there are a lot of people who will read these threads/posts and learn from them. So don't think that just because the original poster has flown the coup that you've wasted your time. From those of us that take onboard the good advice, read the debates and learn a little something each time thanks for taking the time whether your a Pro or amature.

AnonymousKiwi1 is offline Shutter Clicker

+1 to that. I've read through heaps of threads where the OP never returned. But I learned an awful lot along the way. Keep it up.
    Lisa
    Nikon D90, Nikkor 18-200mm 3.5-5.6, NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D
    My Flickr, Panoramio, Click Fifty-Two - A BLog,
    "There's far more good people in the world than there are bad." - Kylie Phaup-Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousKiwi1 View Post
    +1 to that. I've read through heaps of threads where the OP never returned. But I learned an awful lot along the way. Keep it up.
    Not to mention the OP is 17 years old....lol....could be off doing anything about now! But I sure do agree with you. I don't usually say too much around here, but I have read so many threads and learned so much. The information so freely shared here is priceless to me

madisonlaird Guest

Thumbs down

Wow, what jerks....(Jim Poor and Niresangwa). I have no business charging?? wow.
    To all of you wondering "where's the OP, where's the OP???!!?!?!" Well, I'm here and I've read everything. I don't just "LEAVE" when I post a question.
    You know, I don't remember all your usernames and whatnot, but a lot of you were very rude. I just asked a simple question. I didn't know what a good price was to charge for the portraits and I was just seeking a simple answer. Maybe a kind person explaining that $100 is a good deal for someone wanting senior portraits or maybe that it was too much...or maybe something HELPFUL. I do the best with portraits...I just don't know what to do about pricing. I've sold photos in stores before...so I'm not just some young 17 year old with no experience. And whoever you were that wrote that long post about pros and how you get tired of answering the same questions over and over...then don't answer the question! Take your attitude somewhere else. I'd rather my question not get answered than for it to get answered rudely. And just because back in "November" I had a few questions wondering about external flashes means I have 0 experience??? I'm just trying to learn here! Wow.

But I'd like to thank those that did answer with a kind post and a simple answers/thought. Like, royey123 and fofazoju

This might be the last time I ask a question here. Do you pros really think you're above everyone else??? How do you think you got to your position anyway? You were at the beginner stage once........geez

Jim Poor is offline Class Curmudgeon

So, now you claim experience that you earlier clearly didn't claim when you said you have no clue? Sorry, I don't buy it. I'm more than happy to be wrong, and if so - good luck with it.

TheEagleSpirit is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dennismc View Post
    If these are friends of yours, or close to it, do it as TFP. You dont charge them, but get the experience and the photos for your own portfolio and they get prints and or copies for themselves.

Its a win/win that way.
    Let them know before hand you are just starting out and learning, That way the expectations are not very high, they can still have them done by a local pro and pay for them, but this way you also get some experience out of it.

jmo.
    This is very good advice. I got my start taking travel photos on my trips on vacations and learning from them. My neighbors began asking me to take pictures of birthdays, family generation portraits and other occasions. I was asked to take portraits for Cancer Survivor groups and Home Economics groups for their 75th aniversary meeting. I am featured in that groups History Album. Also been asked to use my pictures on shirts etc. by a local entertainer and am featured in a Hospital's new addition with many professional people. I am not a professional but very honored for the oportunity to learn by practice. I just love a hobby of photography with all it has to offer. Helping others with their needs for free is giving me a great education and new friends.

Quote Originally Posted by madisonlaird View Post
    Wow, what jerks....(Jim Poor and Niresangwa). I have no business charging?? wow.
    To all of you wondering "where's the OP, where's the OP???!!?!?!" Well, I'm here and I've read everything. I don't just "LEAVE" when I post a question.
    You know, I don't remember all your usernames and whatnot, but a lot of you were very rude. I just asked a simple question. I didn't know what a good price was to charge for the portraits and I was just seeking a simple answer. Maybe a kind person explaining that $100 is a good deal for someone wanting senior portraits or maybe that it was too much...or maybe something HELPFUL. I do the best with portraits...I just don't know what to do about pricing. I've sold photos in stores before...so I'm not just some young 17 year old with no experience. And whoever you were that wrote that long post about pros and how you get tired of answering the same questions over and over...then don't answer the question! Take your attitude somewhere else. I'd rather my question not get answered than for it to get answered rudely. And just because back in "November" I had a few questions wondering about external flashes means I have 0 experience??? I'm just trying to learn here! Wow.

But I'd like to thank those that did answer with a kind post and a simple answers/thought. Like, royey123 and fofazoju

This might be the last time I ask a question here. Do you pros really think you're above everyone else??? How do you think you got to your position anyway? You were at the beginner stage once........geez
    Apologies to you, I had a feeling maybe you were reading the posts.

You have some wonderful shots on your flickr stream, and if I were you I would consider taking Big Fuzzy's advise and see if you can work a few sessions with a photographer in your area. You could also simply ask some local studio's what they charge for a senior session? Get a starting point and base your price on that.

As I said in my first post, I think what you need to do is take everything you read here and learn from it, then make your own decisions. This was the main thing I wanted to tell you by posting to your thread.

Also, what I said about you being 17 was not a dig, so much as what I would consider an explanation as to why you might not have been around to post.As I have kids your age, I figured maybe you off doing something fun! Try and look at it from the point of someone who takes the time to respond to a question and then the OP never returns. It happens all the time. Or like you, they are reading but not responding. At least you did in fact respond to all you've read.

As for people having to answer the same questions over and over again, I wouldn't worry too much about that. I have read this complaint before here. If you have made an honest attempt and done a search through the site and cannot find a thread that helps you with your question, just ask it. If it's a repeat so be it. The general feeling around here is that the people who take the time to respond truly do want to help you.

Good Luck with your Photography!

Quote Originally Posted by madisonlaird View Post

Exhibit A.

Over sensitive and still missing the point.

Did you even bother to search the forums for the answer to your question (heck on this subforum, all you have to do is scroll down the page, usually)?

Have you bothered to look around in your locality to see what others charge?

If you had done either or both you would have had a great place to start, and no reason to ask such a basic question.

As for how I got into my position, I followed the advice of the gruff arrogant pro's on this forum without pitching a fit.

Page 3 of 8 First 12345 ... Last