Close
Close
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    mokka is online now dPS +1000 Club

If you're gonna use a fb personal page for business and not get caught then you have to take a few precautions.

You can't use words like 'photography' in your name, fb catches and blocks these right away.

Make sure people you add as a friend know it is you who is adding them, If you put your real name as your 'nickname' then when you add real friends they will know it is you and accept, if they don't know it is you then they might presume it to be spam and report you to facebook.

Be careful who you add as a friend, adding real friends is safe so long as they know it is you, but going round adding people you barely know, or people just on the basis that they have the same interests as you will risk getting reported to facebook. Adding people you think might be potential customers will definitely get you reported.

Be careful how often you update and whether or not these updates are solicitations for business. i.e. don't put ads as status updates on a daily basis as these will wear the patience of even your real friends and risk getting you reported.

If you use Flickr and twitter as well there are ways to link the three together. For example, when I upload photos to Flickr they are automatically added to my facebook page.

mandyatm is offline dPS Forum Member

I have to warn one thing against Facebook. I have a business page and all was going okay, then all of the sudden I couldn't post links to my blog. When I clicked on links to my site, I got an error that said my site was reported as abusive by other users, and this site is abusive or spammy, etc. I have no idea what happened. I contacted my domain provider and there was a virus on a site that was on my ip address and they fixed it. But form what I have read, there is no way to get un-blocked on Facebook. I have reported it 20 times with no response. So all my clients were seeing that my site was abusive when they tried to go to my site. This did NOT look good, so I had to buy another domain name and direct it to my site, so instead of posting my normal site, I had to post the secondary site name, which is probably confusing, but at least clients don't get the messages. I still can't link a certain post in Facebook, just my main blog post. It is really frustrating.

lonni is offline dPS Forum Member

I would also like to make the point that you cant just put up info and expect people to come to you. You need to give people a reason to interact with you, to comment on your posts, hit the like button, vistit your site.

I like to post a photo from a recent shoot tell people why i like it and ask why others like it, or how cute is the kid or how lucky was i to get such a great locations etc. People comment, i comment back and they feel as if they know me, so will book me.

You really need to spend the time fostering relationships with he people who take tht time to comment on your work.

Also i have a q, why are you all talking about using a FB page for business adn getting caught? i run 2 other pages linked to my name with no problem, both for businesses, am i missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by lonni View Post
    Also i have a q, why are you all talking about using a FB page for business adn getting caught? i run 2 other pages linked to my name with no problem, both for businesses, am i missing something?
    the problem is when you use a profile page as opposed to a 'fan page' or 'business page' for your business. its against the FB ToS, and if they catch you, you'll get banned. it has happened to other photographers. if you have a business page (the kind that people can 'like', you're all set. If you're using the kind where people have to 'friend' you, you run the risk of having the account suspended.

Rhondak is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by Niresangwa View Post
    the problem is when you use a profile page as opposed to a 'fan page' or 'business page' for your business. its against the FB ToS, and if they catch you, you'll get banned. it has happened to other photographers. if you have a business page (the kind that people can 'like', you're all set. If you're using the kind where people have to 'friend' you, you run the risk of having the account suspended.
    I know I have a low post count, please forgive the newbie from adding to this. Here is a link that explains the value of Facebook and networking in general. Be the Trend in Senior Portraiture - by Jessica Edwards - Zenfolio Blog

Yes there is a difference between a "fan page" and a "business page" but all are free.

Since I am very new at building my photography business, so far I have only added a link to my zenfolio site, and I interact in a normal way. The person who posted above about the interaction is absolutely correct. Especially when you are speaking of Portraits, infants, children and seniors. People love to share and interact. I do not at this time post anything concerning prices if anyone wants that information they can click on my zenfolio link. I would say I have at least one or two inquiries after each shoot, just by sharing and interacting.

I use my own personal name, I had a new logo done a month or so ago and I used that for my profile picture, it clearly said Rhonda Morse Photography, and I never heard a word from anyone at Facebook.

I see this the same as my husbands band, he is the drummer. The lead singer is a guy named Joe Wright, well Joe Wright and my husband Russ Morse might talk about shows, songs, inviting people to gigs all the time, they post videos and photos taken by me from each show. They also have a Joe Wright and The Fall Creek Band "fan" page....I am an administrator, they run much the same. The guys talk about the music on both..but the fan page is where you can locate show information, shirt sales, booking information, etc. Joe and I when posting on the fan page are much more focused on the Band and not the every day stuff like how I feel while recuperating from my surgery Monday..that is on my personal page.

In my opinion the Facebook page is a very valuable tool, it has brought me valuable photography friends, advice, but it is only one tool. It should always be treated like you would any other part of your business plan, especially when thinking of Logo or Branding of your business.

lonni is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Niresangwa View Post
    Thanks, it didnt occur to me to use a personal page for business, i use the fan and business pages.

mad editor is offline dPS +1000 Club

I have a personal page and I am administrator for two business pages - because of my job. I send messages to "friends" through my facebook pages asking them to "like" the business pages (an opera company and a youth opera company). There is much interchange - but the messages are always businesslike on the business pages and more casual on my own page.
    When I post on my two blogs, I share the links to those blogs on facebook (business and personal pages). I also have the FB biz pages set up to automatically tweet.
    I guess I should think in terms of starting my own photography page as well.
    If someone told me a year and a half ago that I'd be doinhg all this social media networking, I'd have said, "Huh???"
    Last edited by mad editor; 09-16-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: typo
    Pentax K7, K 2000 with lots of lenses - old and new; Slik Pro 340 EZ tripod with an old Slik single action panhead; two Vivitar 285HV Zoom flashes; wireless remote and cable release. Wireless triggers, constant lighting and shoot through umbrellas and stands.
    www.patriciahorwell.com

Page 2 of 2 First 12