Close
Close
Page 15 of 16 First ... 513141516 Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Picture Size **Please Read Before Posting**

wulf is offline Ninja Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by willynilly View Post
    I am a new member. I have attempted to post twice to the Weekly Assignments. I think I am doing it correctly. I download from picasa - preview the post- they appear ok - then submit . However, my posts don't show up. How long does it take for a image to appear on the assignment page. What is the review criteria? Am I missing something? I have tried to ask this question on the contact page. I don't know if this is the correct forum to be asking these questions. I am also a Dialupper. So it is very frustrating.
    Any suggestions.
    Something about your posts or your account makes the anti-spam software start growling and so your posts get quarantined until a moderator gets to look at them. Unfortunately those sometimes get lost in a busy thread - I only spotted this post of yours by chance.

Apologies, but at least you are a step towards being recognised without the hassle in future.

Wulf

ps. for anyone who thinks the filter is too aggressive, take my word that you wouldn't like the site without it. False positives are regrettable and a few spam messages get through but at least the forums aren't flooded with spam.
    Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
    Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Krusty79 is offline You kids get off my lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul690 View Post
    hi when do we get to find out the winners of the latest assignments?
    I only found this because Sime posted a link. I still can't figure out how to get there from the Home page.

From the Forums
    GREG - Canon XS with 10-22, 18-55 & 55-250.
    flickr
    flickriver
    My 500px
    "You can't be young forever, but you can always be immature." - Larry Andersen.

Remeh123 is offline I'm new here!

nice comment.
    Answer of the question What is LNG and the explanation why the LNG market exists.

ccting is offline Banned
    Taking Photo is to elicate, aim, method, measure, result, trace & improv

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    Because of bandwidth concerns and the fact that not everyone is on a fast connection, we want to keep make sure the forum is accessible for everyone. So, please ensure that all pictures posted are no longer than 740px on the longest side.

This diagram shows the interaction between viewer (that use internet browser such as IE, firefox etc), DPS Web site (server), and Image Source (such as Flickr). Whenever there is interaction, there will be bandwidth usage between the two interactors. This diagram has been simplified for easier understanding. The numbering in the diagram shows the sequence of interaction, from top to down.

1) When we browse DPS website, a web request will be sent by IE/firefox on behalf of you for the web page / URL.

2) If the webpage is up and available, the DPS web server will give response to your IE / firefox. And your IE/Firefox will start download the web page WITHOUT Images. This is that minimum bandwidth has been used in DPS Web site for this interaction.

3-5) Once your IE/FireFox read to the point of img src="http://.... flickr", your browser will request and download the image from Flickr. Here, both the viewer and flickr bandwidth involved. As the image is much bigger than the text (see 2), then the performance of viewing a DPS website depends greatly on viewer's and flickr bandwidth, and very less depending on DPS server bandwidth,. The IE/Firefox will display the image bit by bit when downloading the image, depending on their behavior. However, this is untrue if you attach photos to DPS server.

In conclusion, those who upload photos in Flickr or other web server (e.g. nikonclub etc), very little bandwidth of DPS server will be used that will not affect the performance of viewing by other DPS users, SIGNIFICANTLY. However, when DPS users attach images such as what i have done below, DPS bandwidth will be utilized at very very much more extent that will slow down other viewers (as an image is usually a few hundred to few thousands times HEAVIER than a dps web page - to bandwidth taken for 1 viewer to see an image equal to 500~1000 viewer vewing a forum page without images).Think of multiplication effect when multiple users doing the same.. The forum will always accessible by viewers, just they may have timing problem to download images if the images' source are in other server (flickr). This , however, untrue of they upload images to DPS server.
    I strongly recommended that, whenever possible, upload your images to other websites (e.g. flickr , nikonclub, canonclub) to speed up the DPS web pages viewing..or otherwise, follow the admin advice to limit the size of image attached to this server.

Regards
    Ting.
    Last edited by ccting; 10-20-2011 at 01:18 AM.

wulf is offline Ninja Moderator

The bandwidth to be considered isn't just from DPS as a provider but also the size of the data pipe to the user. Their browser will be able to cope with drawing data from multiple sources - if anything, it may speed things up as separate streams are downloaded in parallel - but it all has to fit through the capacity of their data connection.

Dial up connections may be less common but people frequently use wireless connections for the last leg of the journey, which can have a dramatic effect on speed (especially if they decide to sit in a awkward corner of their house or at the far end of the garden). Also, while for home use most of us have long ago given up paying much attention to the page size of different sites, it comes back to bite you when you have to pay (at rates that can be ridiculously expensive once you pass the "fair usage" cap).

Given that data access on the move also means that smaller screens are back with a vengeance, there are probably more reasons now to impose an image size limit than when it was first set. Of course, the sensible thing to do is to link to a larger version somewhere else so that, if someone wants, they can choose to see your image in all it's glory.

Wulf
    Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
    Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Cynthizzle is offline I'm new here!

Can someone please tell me how to post links here back to my flickr page? is that what we are supposed to do for weekly assignments as well?
    Can I find instructions somewhere here on the dps site?
    (I am new..thanks!)

Digidave is offline Class Clown

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthizzle View Post
    Can someone please tell me how to post links here back to my flickr page? is that what we are supposed to do for weekly assignments as well?
    Can I find instructions somewhere here on the dps site?
    (I am new..thanks!)
    The FAQ is where you'll find most questions answered.

http://digital-photography-school.com/forum/faq.php?faq=img#faq_flckr

When you "Imbed" a photo it acts as a link directly back to Flickr.
    MY GEAR

Flickriver

I turned out to be the only hell my Momma ever raised.

Suejh is offline I'm new here!

Well now I am more confused than before. Would like to send pics and enter the comps. This resizing and pics size just puts me off.lol

Digidave is offline Class Clown

Quote Originally Posted by Suejh View Post
    Well now I am more confused than before. Would like to send pics and enter the comps. This resizing and pics size just puts me off.lol
    Get yourself a free Flickr account. Choose to "Share" one of the medium sizes. Highlight & copy everything in the "Grab the HTML/BBCode" box. Then paste it into your reply box here at DPS. Flickr does all the resizing for you that way.
    MY GEAR

Flickriver

I turned out to be the only hell my Momma ever raised.

saminaed1 is offline Banned

Default Auto Transport

You completed various good points there. I did a search on the subject and found nearly all persons will agree with your forum.

Page 15 of 16 First ... 513141516 Last