Close
Close
Page 15 of 16 First ... 513141516 Last
    Maritime12 is offline I'm new here!

I would like to open this sticky up for discussion a little bit so we can form some new/better guidelines in order for our contests to run a little smoother.

Some ideas from my end (coming from another forum that I am part of):

1. I don't think we should say "must start on Sunday and end Saturday", or anything of that sort. It should stay as a weekly contest, meaning from the first day the OP posts the next contest thread there will be 7 days until the contest closes. The judge should be given at least 48 hours in which to claim the winner. Then, the winner of that contest has 72 hours to post the next thread. If 72 hours pass and there is no new contest thread, then the #2 choice will be the one who has to start the next thread (and the #1 loses their turn) - which brings me to my next point.

2. The judge should list at least the top three pictures, and why they chose those three.

3. If someone wants their submission critiqued they should paste an asterisk next to the title of the picture. Yes, it is true that this may clutter up the thread, but I think it is important that everything gets critiqued and not only the best ones. People need to know why their photo wasn't considered the best.

4. Instead of option #3 above we could also do the following: I know there has been a critiquing thread that has been started. Individuals who would want critiquing could simply post their picture in our weekly contest and also in the critiquing thread. Then the individual could link to the critiquing thread in order for their picture to be commented on. Personally I don't like this idea, as I think it would make too much work for everyone going back and forth. The judge should try their hardest not too be swayed by what others say.

5. The contest shouldn't leave out people under 50 posts. If the picture is good, the picture is good! There should be no rules as to who can and cannot win. Just because someone won a few weeks ago shouldn't mean they can't win again any time soon. I say we try to keep this contest as open as possible, that way we can get more and more participation from everyone.

6. As for using the same topic we have already used as a contest, I would say that would be fine, as we already have quite a long list of topics. However, doing so could get boring over time, and it is always fun to try and capture new things and not the same thing over and over again. If the winner cannot think of a new topic they should visit some photography forums to get some ideas, and if all else fails then repeat a topic.

7. I don't think we should copy paste every single past contest into the first post of each contest. To me this doesn't really make much sense, I say just copy over the rules and that should be good enough. The sticky here will be the best place to track all of the contests, etc...
    Take photos, don't watch pirate movie streams ;-)

wulf is offline Ninja Moderator

I think you could do with checking how the DPS contests actually run. Several of your points don't seem related to our contests / assignments.

Wulf

ps. and please don't use your signature for links that don't relate to your own personal photography - that looks a lot like spam.
    Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
    Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

lit-photography08 is offline I'm new here!

I guess I have to do some work out with my camera and make myself a good photographer.

LimeLight is offline Living My Passion

Default On the Namibian Beach

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Camera Canon 550
    In Swakopmund namibia over December 2010
    Anna Jorge/LimeLight photography"Times New Roman"][/FONT][/FONT]

Liltiger is offline Pet Shelter Photographer

Default Opting out

At the risk of asking a really stupid question... I'm a bit confused at the Opt-Out message. Although, of course, I know what opting out means, what are you referring to in regards to opting out of the contest? Why would I want to opt out of a contest I intentionally entered?

Maybe I just don't understand how these mini contests work.

Can someone clarify?

Saralonde is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Liltiger View Post
    At the risk of asking a really stupid question... I'm a bit confused at the Opt-Out message. Although, of course, I know what opting out means, what are you referring to in regards to opting out of the contest? Why would I want to opt out of a contest I intentionally entered?

Can someone clarify?
    The assignments are just challenges that anyone can do at any time. However, each assignment is also a mini-contest for a short period which is indicated in the rules. If you opt out of the contest, you can still do the assignment.
    Linda
    My Gear
    OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Liltiger View Post

Can someone clarify?
    Remember that, first and foremost, it is an assignment. The contest part is if you are willing for your photo to be judged by the moderators and, if it is selected as a winner, reposted here or on the DPS blog.

It also shows you have the vital skill known as reading the rules. Most weeks there are some cracking shots that miss either the contest title or the the date taken. Possibly they weren't intended to be considered but, for anyone who didn't read the rules, they have the future pleasure stored up of learning an invaluable lesson with plenty of applications beyond free photo contests

Wulf
    Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Amoment is offline A second in time

Hi all
    I am new here and new to photography and I joined DPS to learn and get tips.
    BUT I must be a thick head because everything seems to set around people who are already very good photographers.
    The site can be confusing to the beginner (well me) and what you guys talk about, I feel only season photographers know what your saying.
    I do consider myself a intelligent person but I get very confused on this site and these forums.
    If you guys really want to promote this site use the KISS theory and help the beginner.

Marine Spouse is offline I'm new here!

Question

I am new to DPS and just entered my first assignment "Resolution"- excited to participated in weekly assignments. Having said that, I read that we should put an a red X if we want it entered in the contest; and * if we want the photo critiqued? Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Spouse View Post
    I am new to DPS and just entered my first assignment "Resolution"- excited to participated in weekly assignments. Having said that, I read that we should put an a red X if we want it entered in the contest; and * if we want the photo critiqued? Is this correct?
    If so, that is news to me! Where did you read that?

Wulf

Page 15 of 16 First ... 513141516 Last