Close
Close
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
    xxpinballxx is offline dPS +1000 Club

Default Keeping EXIF data for assignments....

I know this may be common sense for alot of us but there are often images up for the assignments and have no EXIF data.
    I thought I'd share a quick tip for retaining it and its as simple as any tip out there.
    When you download your image and do any type of post work in an editing program alot of the time you will wind up stripping the EXIF out of the file when you save it. The way to do it and retain it is to be sure to always slick Save as.... instead of just the save option.
    This may not work for all apps but it does for most so some of you that have not been considered due to no data you might want to check and see how you are saving the file.
    Hope it helps some of you out......
    D7000, D200, 18-105mm, 35mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8G, 18-200mm, 10-20mm, 105mm 2.8, sb900, Panasonic GF2 Samsung NX100 and lenses and a ton more crap!
    RoundboyzPhotography on Flickr
    RoundboyzPhotographyBlog
    My Twitter

Sergio is offline dPS Forum Member

Sorry, but I don't know what that is. Is the EXIF data the same as meta data?

Canadian Mum is offline dPS +1000 Club

I have a program that warns me before I do certain editting... that I will be losing the EXIF. Is it alright if we use the post-editted picture, and upload both that and the original to flickr - the just link to the original EXIF? Or is that too much work for the mods... as I know they are looking at so many pictures?

Nicole is offline Dr. Super Moderator

An easy way to make sure that we can see the exif from the original would be to put a thumbnail with the original in your post on the forums (and if you want to copy and paste the exif that'd be great too)
    Nikon D600 | D90 | Sony NEX-3
    Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
    My Flickr

thanks.
    I guess I will just make it habit to post the EXIF when I post my pictures.
    Here is another question though - there is quite a bit of info listed... do you want all of it, or are there a few specifics that you do need?

Nicole is offline Dr. Super Moderator

Most important is the date taken (so we know if it's eligible for the contest), and then ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed are the generally important ones.
    Nikon D600 | D90 | Sony NEX-3
    Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    Most important is the date taken (so we know if it's eligible for the contest), and then ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed are the generally important ones.
    Thank you Nicole.
    I am still learning... but that will make it easier... so I will just copy those over

Melinda is offline dPS Forum Member

Thanks I did not know that my info was lost when I uploaded my picture.

Melinda

xxpinballxx is offline dPS +1000 Club

not so much as uploading it but its the fact when you switch it from app to app it tends to get stripped.
    I just hate people who enter the contest we run for the assignments sometimes gets left out and they may not even know why.
    D7000, D200, 18-105mm, 35mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8G, 18-200mm, 10-20mm, 105mm 2.8, sb900, Panasonic GF2 Samsung NX100 and lenses and a ton more crap!
    RoundboyzPhotography on Flickr
    RoundboyzPhotographyBlog
    My Twitter

sa_rob is offline I'm new here!

ok, so next question for someone new to this... where do i find the exif data for the file?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last