Close
Close
    Horton2411 is offline I'm new here!

Default Cameras in cold temperatures

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but I am new to the DSLR scene. Will it damage my camera in anyway if i happen to leave it in my car in temperatures that are Below freezing? Id rather be safe then sorry after spending a thousand dollars on a camera. I want to do some shooting after work but do not want to bring my camera into work, and would like to leave it in the car until Im off.

Doug Pardee is offline Not photogenic

Quote Originally Posted by Horton2411 View Post
    Will it damage my camera in anyway if i happen to leave it in my car in temperatures that are Below freezing?
    No, but you should be careful when you bring it back into a warm environment to keep condensation from forming inside the camera. Seal the camera in a "baggie" while it's still outside in the cold, then bring it in. After it's warmed up for an hour or two, then you can open the baggie.

Batteries don't like being cold, and won't put out much power. If you actually use the camera in the cold, you may need to swap batteries more often.

Horton2411 is offline I'm new here!

thank you for the reply

tkinnj is offline I'm new here!

Does your camera have an LCD display? I've seen computers where the screen has frozen solid - they work okay after you thaw them out but I don't know what the result would be if you used the equipment while the screen is still frozen. I don't know what the effect would be on a camera, but that's what I would be worried about.

Digidave is offline Class Clown

Your camera should be fine. Take the battery with you in order to keep it warm. Then just pop it in & fire away. I've never done the baggie thing, I just leave my Nikon D80 in my camera bag to warm up for about an hour or two before bringing it out to upload the pics to my computer.
    MY GEAR

Flickriver

I turned out to be the only hell my Momma ever raised.

OsmosisStudios is offline Don't Panic

Quote Originally Posted by tkinnj View Post
    Does your camera have an LCD display? I've seen computers where the screen has frozen solid - they work okay after you thaw them out but I don't know what the result would be if you used the equipment while the screen is still frozen. I don't know what the effect would be on a camera, but that's what I would be worried about.
    Ive done that with a cell phone: left it out in the cold for 8-9 hours and the screen was lagging and slow. I think if you left the camera overnight you might end up damaging it.

Of course, at the time of my experiences it was -40C without the windchill, so that may be a mitigating factor.
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design