Close
Close
Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last

Thread: Competitions?

Photoboothguy Guest

Honestly, just HAVING the competition has done wonders for my exposure. I got lots of views on my Flickr site from the Weekly Assignments, whether I win them or not. I got tons of hits from the "Best of 2009" Assignment, both before and after the results came out (I was an honorable mention).

As far as prizes or recognition, it depends. I'm not interested in a new camera bag, external hard-drive, or other small item...I have it. In fact, for the prize of the "Best of 2009", had I won, I would have asked that you'd given it to the runner up, or I would have given it to a friend. Now if you were giving away a 5DMarkII, you've got my attention

However, with bigger prizes, you get bigger and better competition. So it depends on what DPS wants. If you want pros and experienced photographers getting into the competition, then you'd offer big prizes. If you'd like to keep the competition to us amateurs, then recognition would be the way to go.

If you kept with the ~$100 prizes, it'd be nice to see a selection. I don't need another camera bag, but a SmugMug account would be awesome. Or a Vivtar 285HV for aspiring strobists. Light stands, umbrellas, Black Rapids RS-4s ...it'd be nice if the winner could choose their prize based on his/her style of photography.

beatles2 is offline A day in the Life

I have never entered any competition mostly due personal insecurities. But I think this the year I will . As for prizes, somting that will make me a better photographer like having a photographer like Leibovitz or Babak( he is in Toronto) or yourself look at the winners body of work and give an overall critique of what the person is doing right and or wrong.
    [http://www.flickr.com/photos/paullacroix/ Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

http://www.lacroixphoto.net/

sk66 is offline Lovable Contrarian

I think the best you could do is get the images published...Say top 4 images from each category. Categories being amateur, intermediate, advanced....I think the only way to break it into categories somewhat fairly would be by the gear used. (If you're buying pro gear, you should be able to use it.) I would be afraid to allow individuals to choose their level as some would compete below their actual capabilities just to win.

3 categories with 4 "winners" from each equals a calendar that could be sold here.

I don't generally compete other than to take on "assignments" to give me direction/challenge.

Bekkie is offline dPS Forum Member

So many great ideas here. It would be nice to get recognition for a great photo plus, because of limited income, I'd love to be able to get more photography equipment. As far as being emotionally attached to DPS, this has been one of the main sources of education and inspiration for me as a 'tog baby. I appreciate this forum, it's staff and the people who post.

Bekkie

BellaD is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sime™ View Post
    Recognition is a big thing, I completely agree...
    aka bragging rights
    What do others think?
    Im interested
    Prizes v's Recognition?
    Maybe a combo of both? And also maybe the competition can inclued SOOC shots, I find when pics are too "photoshopped" it takes the fun out of the actual picture taking experience. Dunno, just my thoughts
    Canon Rebel XSi - 18-55mm IS kit lens - 75-300 - 50mm f1.8 II.

fbroschart is offline Under Exposed

I have to agree with everyone else. What motivates me is recognition. It really keeps me motivated to try harder and put myself out there to be critiqued. Don't get me wrong though, I love prizes too. It is scary sometimes to compete with others that are at a much higher level of experience and have better equipment, so maybe there is a way we could break down some categories based on equipment and/or experience.

I have learned so much here this past year and have seen a vast improvement in my work from my experiences here.

Thanks!!
    Old but still learning!
    Nikon D50, D300
    MyFlickr
    http://broschart365.tumblr.com/

Narginia is offline dPS Forum Member

Hello there! I have not yet entered into many competitions. The few that I have entered offer both. However the prizes sound nice and would be helpful. The thought of being published or recognized is what gives me that drive more than prizes. I want people to enjoy my photos like I do, as long as it is the art they like. So if they are published, more people can enjoy them

Bottom line: Recognition wins for me!
    My Flickr
    My Blog
    Website - In the works but coming along

freezeframe03 is offline dPS +1000 Club

My skill level in photography doesn't usually scream to me that I should enter a contest. So, I'd check it out and keep it in mind while shooting and I'd have to vote for recognition as well. Whether I participate or not, I would totally enjoy the photos and progress of the contest just as I enjoy all the other aspects of DPS.

Barstool is offline I'm new here!

I enter a lot of competitions but I like to use the results to see if my photography is improving. I don't play the lottery and I would think that if I had 5 chances out of 79,000 to win a prize it is not worth the effort. Mostly I enter PSA exhibitions and last year I had about 28% of my entries accepted for exhibition. My goal is to increase that percentage every year. That will give me an idea if I am on the right track with my photography or not.

DannyF1966 is offline dPS Forum Member

I'll echo some of the other posters in saying that while my photos aren't good enough to enter a competition, the thought of recognition and having my photo published or displayed somewhere is more of a motivator than a cash or equipment prize.
    Nikon D40, 18-55 lens, 55-200VR lens

My photo gallery and Project 365 for 2010

Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last