Close
Close

Thread: Raw

rsparkle28 is offline I'm new here!

Question Raw

Hello everyone,

I have a Canon 20d and for my advanced Digital Photography class i have to shoot in RAW format. The instruction booklet is short and not helpful. How do I shoot this format? I'm going out to get a picture downtown tonight and I'm taking pictures inside right now and their black. I've got it on manual mode (another I have to do) and I chose just RAW without +JPEG. The top LCD is flashing under -2 on the exposure level indicator. I've been shooting JPEG's and with the K color temperature. I'm trying to google how to shoot RAW with my camera but I thought I'd post here as well. I don't know anything about RAW and any advice and info. anyone can give me would be extremely appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Rebecca
    Canon 20d, Minolta 35 mm, EF 75-300 mm Telephoto, 0.45x Wide Angle Lens w/macro http://www.flickr.com/photos/beccas_inspirations/

Samanax is offline dPS +1000 Club

What are the exposure setting you're using?

What shutter speed are you using?

What aperture (f/stop value) are you using?

What ISO speed are you using?

What are the shooting conditions like? Sunny? Cloudy? Indoors? Outdoors? Day? Night?

Shooting in RAW is no different from shooting in JPEG...but if you've never shot in Manual before and don't know how to set exposure correctly your images won't come out right.

Exposure Triangle

The Exposure Triangle – In Beginner Speak “The End of Auto Mode"

Understand Digital Photography exposure – The Exposure Triangle

Understanding Exposure with the Exposure Triangle

Lens Aperture Explained – Exposure Triangle Pt.1

Shutter Speed – Exposure Triangle Pt.2

ISO – Exposure Triangle Pt.3
    Last edited by Samanax; 09-30-2009 at 04:48 AM.

Doug Pardee is offline Not photogenic

Your problem has nothing to do with Raw.

You're using manual exposure and you're getting the exposure wrong—that's why your meter is blinking an exposure warning and your pictures are coming out underexposed. "Manual" exposure means that you, the photographer, have to set the shutter speed and aperture setting to get the desired exposure for your chosen ISO setting.

rsparkle28 is offline I'm new here!

Smile TY

Thank you for the comments! I am now shooting RAW and know it was me...LOL. Still trying to get it down with manual focus. The problem I have now which I'm trying to google tutorials and I'll look on here is camera raw 4.0 editing. 2 or 3 pictures came out good but I'm not happy with the others. The project was shallow depth of field (anything, tasteful). I like using K Temperature. I think a few of the shots was the ISO in the evening because I couldn't use my flash on this. Thanks for the links as well, I'll check them out. I've been so busy I haven't been able to get back on till today.
    Rebecca
    Canon 20d, Minolta 35 mm, EF 75-300 mm Telephoto, 0.45x Wide Angle Lens w/macro http://www.flickr.com/photos/beccas_inspirations/

Elmo is offline Almost as Old as Dirt

As you are taking a photo class and asking tese questions, I think your instructor needs to review his lesson plans. That is from a photography teacher and college prof.

Elmo