Close
Close
    mohammad233b is offline I'm new here!

Default Auto Mode or Manual?

My camera is Canon Powershot SX200. What's the best selection for shots? Auto mode or Manual(for ISO, EXP, Shutter Speed, and etc)? Can Sx200 do the best autosetting for ISO and Exposure? My purposes of photography are panorama and nature for print and email.The least noise and the best quality is very important for me.

Canon Web Site:
    Shutter Speed
    15-1/3200 sec.; Long Shutter operates with noise reduction when manually set at 1.3-15 sec.

Please help me!

Mohammad

guyzer09 is offline I'm new here!

well it kinda depends on your preference really. are u comfortable shooting in manual? do you know how to tie iso, shutter, apeture and metering all into one to create the shot u want? if ur camera came with dpp like mine did the noise reduction adjustment on it does a really good job even at iso 32000

mohammad233b is offline I'm new here!

Default ISO, Shutter, Apperture

Not complete. But I know high ISO, increase shutter speed in dark areas and in moving objects. And with tripode, in adequate light, and stationery targets, low ISO(80 or 100) is good. But I don't know what number of ISO should selected. 80 or 100 or more?
    Should we set shutter speed for manual shot?

Mohammad

robdavis305 is offline I'm new here!

Smile Aperture

I would get away from auto. Learn the manual mode or for me I shoot aperture priority and the shots are alot better.I highly recommend getting the book UNDERSTANDING EXPOSURE by Bryan Peterson. Amazon has it used for about 13.00 and its a very good read.

Samanax is offline dPS +1000 Club

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad233b View Post
    My camera is Canon Powershot SX200. What's the best selection for shots? Auto mode or Manual(for ISO, EXP, Shutter Speed, and etc)? Can Sx200 do the best autosetting for ISO and Exposure? My purposes of photography are panorama and nature for print and email.The least noise and the best quality is very important for me.

Canon Web Site:
    Shutter Speed
    15-1/3200 sec.; Long Shutter operates with noise reduction when manually set at 1.3-15 sec.

Please help me!
    Have you read the owner's manual front to back yet? The SX200 is able to shoot in Manual Mode as well as Av (Aperture Priority) and Tv (Shutter Priority). But before you move off the AUTO mode you should learn the basics of exposure.
    Not complete. But I know high ISO, increase shutter speed in dark areas and in moving objects. And with tripode, in adequate light, and stationery targets, low ISO(80 or 100) is good. But I don't know what number of ISO should selected. 80 or 100 or more?
    In situations where you have very good light you would use the lowest ISO setting. When you have less light you would use a higher ISO setting. But the higher you go with the ISO the more noise you'll get.
    Should we set shutter speed for manual shot?
    Yes, you have to set the aperture and shutter speed yourself when you're in manual mode. Page 94 of the owner's manual is about Manual Mode. Page 92 is about Tv (Shutter Priority) and page 93 is about Av (Aperture Priority).

The following links will help you learn about exposure.

Exposure Triangle

The Exposure Triangle – In Beginner Speak “The End of Auto Mode"

Understand Digital Photography exposure – The Exposure Triangle

Understanding Exposure with the Exposure Triangle

Lens Aperture Explained – Exposure Triangle Pt.1

Shutter Speed – Exposure Triangle Pt.2

ISO – Exposure Triangle Pt.3

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

I say shoot at iso 80 or 100 as often as you can (although if you need more, don't be afraid of using it), and shooting in full Manual mode.

The liveview mode will simulate the shot based on your exposure settings, so you will literally be seeing what you're going to get before you take the shot. You'll see the effect that changing shutter speed or aperture or iso will have, and it's a great tool for learning the basics of exposure.

In addition, if you're doing landscape/pano photography, you'll want to be able to use post processing techniques like stitching and HDR/exposure blending. In stitching, using Manual to "lock down" the exposure settings is extremely important if you don't want the exposure to vary between member shots, and with HDR, you want to use Manual (and probably a tripod) to bracket exposures.

Also, learn to judge exposure from the live histogram.
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list