Close
Close
    fall is offline I'm new here!

Default auto focus motor

when i was researching on buying my first dslr, i was torn between the nikon d60 and canon 1000d....the thing that pushed me towards canon was because i thought that all canon dslr have autofocus motor built in the body not in the lens...now i'm not so sure...i've been finding some writings about how canon dslrs dont have in body af motors, they say its in the ef\ef-s lenses, can anyone shed some light on the subject? does this mean that if i use 3rd party lenses without af mototr i would be stuck in manual focus? thank you i ended up with the canon 450d by the way.

LoveDSLR is offline dPS +1000 Club

All Canon and compatible AF lenses have AF motor build into the lenses.

Only Nikon AF-S, Sigma HSM and Tamron BIM lenses have AF motor build into the lenses.

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

uh.... Sigma lenses for the Canon mount, even if they're not HSM, will still have a focus motor in them. My Sigma 8mm f/3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye is not an HSM lens, and it autofocuses on my XT just fine. I'd suspect all current Tamrons and Tokinas for the EOS mount are the same.

The only lenses in the Canon lineup that do not autofocus are the TS-E tilt-shifts and the MP-E 65mm macro. As long as it's got EF or EF-S in the lens name, it will autofocus on a 500D.

Other than that, If you buy a current lens for the Canon EOS mount, it will autofocus. The only lenses that won't will be lenses you adapt from non-EOS mount systems.

So, in short, you got it right, and you don't need to worry--any new/current third party lenses will also autofocus. Older versions of third-party lenses, however, may require rechipping to be compatible with the current mount system. This would also be true no matter what mount system you choose, because third party companies are reverse-engineering the mount system, and Canon/Nikon/Pentax, et. al. have no vested interest in making sure third party chips are still compatible with their system--they only ensure that their own lenses still work properly.
    Last edited by inkista; 08-23-2009 at 01:45 AM.
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

OsmosisStudios is online now Don't Panic

The reason there's a problem on the Nikon side about focus motors is that some bodies have them and some lenses dont. In Canon, every lens has a motor in it, so there's no problems.
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

fall is offline I'm new here!

oh ok...well i've got my eye on the tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF), i checked their available mounts on the tamron website, they do offer lenses with built in motor, they call it BIM but i think its only for nikon mount lenses, do they also offer canon mount lenses with BIM? or do i have to settle for the ones without BIM and focus manually? thank you!

LoveDSLR is offline dPS +1000 Club

Quote Originally Posted by fall View Post
    oh ok...well i've got my eye on the tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF), i checked their available mounts on the tamron website, they do offer lenses with built in motor, they call it BIM but i think its only for nikon mount lenses, do they also offer canon mount lenses with BIM? or do i have to settle for the ones without BIM and focus manually? thank you!
    ALL Canon AF compatible lenses can be AF (including Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8). BIM is for Nikon buyers only.