Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    srbloom is offline dPS Forum Member

Unhappy Canon is always "BUSY"!?

I have been having trouble getting pictures of my son who is 14 months old, partially because he is too fast and has the attention span of a fly and partially because my Cannon Rebel XS won't always shoot continuously - it will read "BUSY" and I'm stuck and cannot do anything? Could someone please help me out and let me know why it is doing this and what I can do to prevent it from happening. It is hard enough to get shots of kids let alone if you are missing the shot because you have to sit and wait!!
    Last edited by srbloom; 08-07-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Sime is offline Must. Get. Coffee. Quick.

....is always spelled "Canon"

Haha, sorrry!

What memory card are you using in the camera?

Sime

fletch is offline dPS +1000 Club

Don't Cannon make cookers?
    Fletch

<< blog >> - flickr
    Olympus E510 - Ok to edit and re-post on DPS only

okay, okay, haha, a slip of the fingers!
    I'm using a ScanDisk Ultra II 8 GB
    Will that make a difference?

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

Quote Originally Posted by srbloom View Post
    Could someone please help me out and let me know why it is doing this and what I can do to prevent it from happening. It is hard enough to get shots of kids let alone if you are missing the shot because you have to sit and wait!!
    A camera has a memory buffer to hold images until they can be written to the memory card. During burst shooting, you're filling up this buffer faster than the data can be written to the memory card, so when the buffer's full, you get the BUSY message until the data can be written out to the card and the buffer's got some space again. This is why we care about memory card data rates. Obviously, shooting in RAW or RAW+JPEG is going to fill up the buffer faster than shooting in JPEG, because you're shoving more data per image through the pipeline. So you could extend the number of shots by choosing a smaller image size, but ....

You are also assuming that "spray'n'pray" will get you what you want. This is wrong. Like gunfire, short controlled bursts are going to be better at getting you your objective. You still have to time the shot. Continuous burst shooting is not a substitute for grabbing the right moment. If you feel the need to be doing continuous burst shooting all the time, might I slip in the suggestion that perhaps what you really want is a video camera, and not a still one?
    Last edited by inkista; 08-07-2009 at 06:11 PM.
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic G3. flickr stream and equipment list

Gonzo13 is offline dPS Forum Member

Curiously are you using the flash while you are taking pictures? If so you might want to get an external flash for the camera.
    ~Scott W. Gonzalez
    Canon Elan, XTi and some lenses
    SWGonzalezPhoto
    DeviantArt
    flickr

Yes, I'm using the flash, and I am looking into getting an external one, probably more so now! Thanks for the suggestions!

WVCoalMiner is offline Millionaire

Get yourself a class 6 SD card if yours isn't.
    I got a Class 6 16GB Patriot SDHC card from Ebay for $35.00 for my Canon XSi and a 8 GB Patriot Class 6 SDHC for $20.00 for my Canon XS and I rarely have any issues shooting in burst mode shooting Jpeg + RAW.
    From my experience the Patriot brand is reliable , FAST and Cheap!!!!
    I don't know about the flash as I always shoot in manual and have almost never used the flash. Actually I am pretty sure the flash on my XSi has never been fired by me LOL.

From Wikipedia explaining SD class speeds:
    SD Cards and SDHC Cards have Speed Class Ratings defined by the SD Association. The SD Speed Class Ratings specify the following minimum write speeds based on "the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied":[7]
    Class 2: 2 MB/s - 13x
    Class 4: 4 MB/s - 26x
    Class 6: 6 MB/s - 40x

SD and SDHC cards will often also advertise a maximum speed (such as 133x or 150x) in addition to this minimum Speed Class Rating. Important differences between the Speed Class and the traditional "X" speed ratings are; 1) the ability of the host device to query the SD card for the speed class and determine the best location to store data that meets the performance required, 2) class speed defines the minimum transfer speed. Even though the class ratings are defined by a governing body, like "X" speed ratings, class speed ratings are quoted by the manufacturers but unverified by any independent evaluation process.

On 21 May 2009, Panasonic announced new "class 10" SDHC cards, claiming that this new class is "part of SD Card Specification Ver.3.0".[8] Toshiba also announced cards based on the new 3.0 spec[9] As August 2009, the SD Association's Web site does not include information on this new class or new specification.
    Last edited by WVCoalMiner; 08-07-2009 at 07:08 PM.
    2-Canon 5D's & 1- Canon XTi 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5 Kit Lenses, Canon EF 75-300mm F4-5.6 III
    To see more of my photos check out my flickr page: flickr
    WV KY OH DPS Photography Group JOIN NOW!!!

Thank you WVCoalMiner, great advice!- more than I can say for some people on here!
    I will look into those cards.

Gonzo13 is offline dPS Forum Member

While using the flash while shooting burst is almost the only time that I ever get a BUSY notification from my XTi. The only other time is when I am doing long exposures with the noise reduction on. I also agree with Inkista with the shooting in bursts as well. If it only happens when you are using flash then you probably aren't filling your buffer.
    ~Scott W. Gonzalez
    Canon Elan, XTi and some lenses
    SWGonzalezPhoto
    DeviantArt
    flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 Last