Close
Close
    staceyj is offline I'm new here!

Default Next Camera Lense for Canon 650

As I am very new to photography can anyone suggest my next lense purchase? I didn't get the kit lenses when I bought the camera and got the 18-135mm STM Canon lense. This has worked really well but thought I might like a 70-300 lense. Any thoughts?

WesFoster is offline Wes Foster

I've got a 650D - with the kit. Because I shoot film too, I started buying the EF lenses, and to save me the expense of any future full frame upgrades. Really it all depends what you're shooting - I do a lot of bands, so extremely low light so I bought a 50mm 1.4, which I find incredible for everything although it is quite a leap to not have any zoom anymore and it does set you bac quite a bit in the budget. 1.8 would probably be good too, but from what I've read build quality is a bit substandard and I love that extra bit of bokeh. I then got the cheap 75-300 EF, which is good to have just for the sake of having a telephoto and I used it when I was skiing with my film camera - they both work very well on the 650D - and would mean you're not really buying something that is already covered by your current lens.

Sorry to ramble, that's just my choice, I am missing having wide angle though, which will be my next buy I reckon
    Canon 650D (gripped); Canon EOS 10; Canon Ae-1; Canon 50mm 1.4 USM EF; Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 EF-S; Canon 75-300mm 4-5.6; Canon 50mm 1.8mm FD; Canon 28mm 2.8 FD; Vivitar 4.5 80 - 200mm FD;Speedlite 199A; Yonguo YN560-III

|FLICKR|TUMBLR|TWITTER|

RichardTaylor is online now dPS +1000 Club

What do you want to use your new lens for?

patrickwilson86 is offline dPS Forum Member

drr0b is offline Black Hole Hunter

The 70-300 is more expensive than the 75-300, and as far as I know has better image quality. I've never tried the 75-300, but have had the 70-300 for 3 years, and enjoy using it .
    "There can be few professions outside of artificial insemination and parachuting where equipment is as crucial as it is for a photohrapher"- Roy Mallard