Close
Close
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    wongpong is offline I'm new here!

Default Canon 17 -40 L....

I saw a "used" Canon 17 40 f4 for sale for a pretty good price. the only thing is that the lens is about 6years old. I'm just wondering if their is any changes from late models from the new ones..?? or are they all the same?

thanks
    Canon 6d
    EF 17-40mm L USM, EF 24-105 L

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by wongpong View Post
    I saw a "used" Canon 17 40 f4 for sale for a pretty good price. the only thing is that the lens is about 6years old. I'm just wondering if their is any changes from late models from the new ones..?? or are they all the same?

thanks
    nobody.......?
    Canon 6d

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

veritasimagery is offline I'm one of "those" people

One of these days I just want to go through and correct grammar and spelling. Really people, it's not that hard.

"I saw a "used" Canon 17 40 f4 for sale for a pretty good price. the only thing is that the lens is about 6years old. I'm just wondering if their is any changes from late models from the new ones..?? or are they all the same?

thanks "

Fixed:

"I saw a "used" Canon 17-40 f4 for sale for a pretty good price, the only thing is that the lens is about 6 years old. I'm just wondering if there are any changes from the late models to the new ones? Or are they all the same?

Thanks"
    Kevin
    Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
    http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
    http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

Vagebond is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by veritasimagery View Post
    One of these days I just want to go through and correct grammar and spelling. Really people, it's not that hard.
    from veritasimagerynw.smugmug: "... But that doesn't mean that we've forgotten then rest ..."

from 500px.com/VeritasImageryNW: "... Lately Veritas Imagery NW has been focusing of motorsports ..."
    People who live in grass houses shouldn't stow thrones.

JeffSmith is offline Always learning

OK, grammar aside, the 17-40 f/4.0 L is a great lens for the price. I had one of these and it's sweet spot was f/14. When I went wider it became very soft at the edges so I pretty much had it fixed on AV f/14 for 99% of the time. No great with close up and has quite a lot of pincushion at 17mm, but a great walk-around lens. There is no MKII, nor is one planned so you'll always get your money back on this little gem.

However, once you begin using it and you get to like the 17mm wide angle, you may require better IQ and in which case you'll need to go for the 16-35 f/2.8 L MKII. It's a big step up in price but a massive step up in quality. Works brilliantly at f/2.8 and is sharp throughout. If you have the money, go for this one, but if not, the 17-40 is a real bargain.

Good luck,

Jeff

veritasimagery is offline I'm one of "those" people

Quote Originally Posted by Vagebond View Post
    People who live in grass houses shouldn't stow thrones.
    Thanks for the point out. They have been fixed.

But my issue is with people who continuously use horrible spelling and grammar, not one or two typos.
    Last edited by veritasimagery; 12-08-2012 at 04:56 PM.
    Kevin
    Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
    http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
    http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

cdmicha is online now i shoot people

I've only seen one "version" of this lens myself (in the 3-4 copies I've seen). As long as the lens works properly (and is free from crazy things like mold), my guess is it should be just like any other copy out there (just maybe a bit older).

Just make sure the seller is reputable, and if at all possible, have it checked out before you purchase it. I've only purchased used gear through the Canon refurb store or in person, but then again I can be a little pickier than some. Sometimes a deal that looks a little too good to be true is.
    Chris
    6D/70D/EM5

Quote Originally Posted by JeffSmith View Post
    OK, grammar aside, the 17-40 f/4.0 L is a great lens for the price. I had one of these and it's sweet spot was f/14. When I went wider it became very soft at the edges so I pretty much had it fixed on AV f/14 for 99% of the time. No great with close up and has quite a lot of pincushion at 17mm, but a great walk-around lens. There is no MKII, nor is one planned so you'll always get your money back on this little gem.

However, once you begin using it and you get to like the 17mm wide angle, you may require better IQ and in which case you'll need to go for the 16-35 f/2.8 L MKII. It's a big step up in price but a massive step up in quality. Works brilliantly at f/2.8 and is sharp throughout. If you have the money, go for this one, but if not, the 17-40 is a real bargain.

Good luck,

Jeff
    Thank you! The 16-35 is way too expensive for me so the 17-40 will be ok. I rarely use a big aperture so F7 + is usually where I shoot.
    Canon 6d

Default Bought it new

update:
    I finally bought the 17 40 new.

Does anybody have suggestions for filters?
    Canon 6d

Page 1 of 3 123 Last