Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    shakespear57 is offline I'm new here!

Post Canon equivalent?

I'm planning on getting a new camera, and I was interested in the Nikon D60, but I wanted the Canon equivalent, if their is one? I've just always been a Canon fan

bookloveraz is offline dPS Forum Member

From what I've found it is either the Canon Rebel XS / 1000D or the Canon 450D (Rebel XSi)
    Blog ---- Flickr
    Nikon D90, 18-105mm, PSE 9

shocellist is offline 金本健

Out of curiosity, why are you looking at the D60? Is it simply due to the fact that an older model will be much cheaper?

The Nikon D60 is a "consumer midrange" DSLR, and the Canon 40D is around the same age and also a consumer midrange. However, the prices are much different from what I could find (Canon being much more expensive).

Although the Rebel line of Canon DSLRs are considered "entry level", the XSi (450D) is both cheaper and better (strictly numbers comparison) than the D60.

If you want true contenders, you should look at the D3000 or D3100 (Nikon) instead of the D60 because they're cheaper, newer, and better.

The D3100 stacks up nicely to the Canon T1i, for example.

veritasimagery is offline I'm one of "those" people

Quote Originally Posted by shocellist View Post
    The D3100 stacks up nicely to the Canon T1i, for example.
    Except that the T1i is an older model as well, as is the T2i. In reality the D3100 sits between the Canon T3/1100D and the T3i/600D.

Here's a comparison of the D60 vs. the Canon T3i/600D

Canon 600D vs Nikon D60
    Kevin
    Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
    http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
    http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

I think you made the wrong comparison there...

It doesn't matter how old it is--simply how good it is vs. how expensive it is. My point was that you can look at the D3100 instead of the D60 because it is cheaper and better (and newer is just an added benefit for some). There's not much of a comparison between the two; the D3100 wins. The rest of the post was comparing the D3100 to Canon models, and had nothing to do with the age of the Canon models. The T1i does in fact match up well to the D3100, and both are cheaper than the D60. The T3i is a better match to the D5000 or D5100.

Comparisons don't really have anything to do with age (unless you're specifically looking for a camera that is a certain number of years old).

veritasimagery is offline I'm one of "those" people

@shocellist - Yes, but twice now you have brought up the fact that the D3100 is newer as a benefit. Therefore, if being newer is a benefit, then the T1i fails in that area as both the T2i and T3i are newer. And the fact of the matter is that the OP asked what the equivalent to the "older" D60 in the Canon line was (not what other Nikons line up). So the fact that you mentioned the Nikon D3000 and D3100 means that you weren't really responding to their actual question.

So, to the OP, are you looking at new cameras or used ones? The reason I ask is that, as my link showed, the new "entry level" Canons (and Nikons) will outperform a body as old as the D60. In this other comparison, the base model Canon, T3/1100D, beats out the D60, at a lower price point. So, I'm curious what about the D60 interested you, as opposed to some newer models.

Canon T3 vs Nikon D60
    Last edited by veritasimagery; 03-04-2012 at 04:56 AM.
    Kevin
    Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
    http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
    http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

I did respond to the actual question. Read my post.

The Nikon D60 is a "consumer midrange" DSLR, and the Canon 40D is around the same age and also a consumer midrange. However, the prices are much different from what I could find (Canon being much more expensive).

Although the Rebel line of Canon DSLRs are considered "entry level", the XSi (450D) is both cheaper and better (strictly numbers comparison) than the D60.

Quote Originally Posted by shocellist View Post
    I think you made the wrong comparison there...

It doesn't matter how old it is--simply how good it is vs. how expensive it is. My point was that you can look at the D3100 instead of the D60 because it is cheaper and better (and newer is just an added benefit for some). There's not much of a comparison between the two; the D3100 wins. The rest of the post was comparing the D3100 to Canon models, and had nothing to do with the age of the Canon models. The T1i does in fact match up well to the D3100, and both are cheaper than the D60. The T3i is a better match to the D5000 or D5100.

Comparisons don't really have anything to do with age (unless you're specifically looking for a camera that is a certain number of years old).
    think i'll have to check that one out

Quote Originally Posted by veritasimagery View Post

So, I'm curious what about the D60 interested you, as opposed to some newer models.

Canon T3 vs Nikon D60

well i didnt want a really difficult to use dslr. its my first upgrade from my compact digital camera and from what ive found it seems the best sort of bet. i'd prefer a canon to a nikon though, because ive been told you can use any brand of lens on a canon as opposed to nikon lenses on nikons???

Preeb is offline dPS Forum Member

You can use other lenses on Canon bodies with the proper adapter. And in many cases you will lose autofocus and or auto exposure. As far as ease of use, any of the entry level bodies will have any degree of automation you want to use as you learn the ropes. You can use them on setting from the fully automatic "green box" to full manual operation.

That is one of the great advantages of a DSLR..... options. Until you get all the way up to the professional level bodies, you will have all of those options, at least in the Canon line. I don't know anything about Nikon, but the Canon T series (T1i, T2i, T3i) are all great for learning about this type of photography. As you get to the newer models, you just get updated features, higher resolution sensors - with the T31 you get the articulated LCD making video and still shots from odd angles easier. They all accept the full range of Canon lenses, and will work with many other brands with varying degrees of functionality, depending on the lens and the adapter.
    Rick

Canon 60D; EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 USM; EF-S 17-55 f2.8 USM; EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro; EF100mm f2.8 L IS Macro USM; EF 70-200 f4 L IS USM + 1.4x II TC --- Soon to have: Fuji Finepix XP 200 Waterproof

Page 1 of 2 12 Last