Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Mutter22 is offline CANONestlysaysheluvsdslrs

Default Canon 1100D / 450D / 500D / 550D / 600D???

OK I'm getting money for christmas from people to go towards my first DSLR. I was originally thinking a 1100D but have looked on Which and it has recommended these other models too. So now I'm really confused as to which to go for so any help / pointers from you guys would really be appreciated. I'm brand new to dslrs though so I don't know that much about the technical aspects. I'm sure I'll learn through being on this forum, reading the manual and practice but I don't understand all the jargon just yet.

Also, other than the camera body and the standard lense they come with, what else would I need other than a bag? Flashes? I have a tripod already Anything else?

Thanks in advance guys

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

Here's a chart of all the Canon dSLR models. The table goes (vertically) through the tiers from Pro down to entry-level, and across [left to right] by time, through the generations.

Template:Canon DSLR cameras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Generally speaking, the farther to the left the model is, the newer it is, and the better the sensor technology will be. The farther to the top the model is, the higher the tier, and the more features and heavier the build quality will be.

The 450D/500D/550D are all older models. The 600D is the current dRebel model. It's an entry level camera, good for beginners, and for lower budgets. The 1100D is one tier below the 600D. It has fewer features, but it less expensive.

Aside from a bag, you will probably need a lot of stuff. And a good sturdy tripod (one that costs three figures) is likely to be one of them, as is a flash, but honestly, you should wait and see what the kit lens can do for you, and what will frustrate you. Those frustrations are likely to lead you to the next bit of kit you're going to need. I'd also put off buying a bag for a little while, until you actually have more than one lens to tote around. The bag you need is going to continually change as you continue to add bits and pieces of gear, and you want to wait until you've got a basic set up before trying to shove it all into a bag. I quickly outgrew my first bag in only a few months.

My main advice: don't go looking to buy gear. The desire to add things is going to naturally be there no matter what, but it's extremely easy to waste money on stuff you don't need, if you don't take the time to 1) make sure that it's not a technique issue first rather than the gear, and 2) analyze exactly what kind of gear you need (vs. want). Budget accordingly.

Thirdly, take the time to learn about lenses. That's where most of your money is going to go in the end.
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

Preeb is offline dPS Forum Member

Like Inkista says, don't jump too quickly on accessories. As you learn more about the camera and how you like to use it, some of those will become obvious. You can really blow a lot of money on stuff that you end up not really needing. Also, it isn't a huge mistake to get an older model, as they all are quite close in image quality.

My 500d was already a one year old model when I bought it new, but that just made it a better buy in my opinion. About all you really get between the 550d and the 600d is the articulated LCD screen on the 600d, which is mostly handy for macro photography where the camera has to be in awkward positions. Otherwise they are very similar.

The biggest difference between my 500d and the 550d is 15 megapixels to 18 megapixels. Both are otherwise very similar. I like mine, but I haven't used the other ones on your list, so I really can't say much more than that. My sister still gets great photos with her Rebel, and it's 2 models older than mine.

The lens is far more important when you are talking about differences in image quality between those 5 models. As long as you get the body new, get the best glass you can to go with it. The kit lenses can get you started, but they can also be somewhat limiting. As you progress, you will learn what else you need to add to your kit.
    Rick

Canon 60D; EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 USM; EF-S 17-55 f2.8 USM; EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro; EF100mm f2.8 L IS Macro USM; EF 70-200 f4 L IS USM + 1.4x II TC --- Soon to have: Fuji Finepix XP 200 Waterproof

Doug Pardee is offline Not photogenic

Quote Originally Posted by Mutter22 View Post
    other than the camera body and the standard lense they come with, what else would I need other than a bag?
    You need a memory card or two. Do you really need a bag?

It's best to buy stuff after you decide that you need it. It's really easy to buy a lot of junk you're never going to really use.

Are you planning on post-processing your photos? If so, you'll need a monitor calibrator and some software, at the least. After you've tried printing at your local mini-lab, you may decide that you need a printer, inks, and paper, too.

veritasimagery is offline I'm one of "those" people

Quote Originally Posted by Preeb View Post
    About all you really get between the 550d and the 600d is the articulated LCD screen on the 600d, which is mostly handy for macro photography where the camera has to be in awkward positions. Otherwise they are very similar.
    Everyone seems to forget that the 600D has the same wireless flash capability that the 60D has. This is something that can be very handy down the road, and quite expensive to add on.
    Kevin
    Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
    http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
    http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Pardee View Post
    You need a memory card or two. Do you really need a bag?
    Why would anyone question the purchase of a bag? I can see cautioning someone not to spend a ton of money on one right off, but to not have some way of protecting the camera when not in use is ridiculous. It's not like you're gonna use the packaging box. At least get a holster-style bag.
    Kevin

Tzetsin is offline dPS +1000 Club

Quote Originally Posted by veritasimagery View Post
    Why would anyone question the purchase of a bag? I can see cautioning someone not to spend a ton of money on one right off, but to not have some way of protecting the camera when not in use is ridiculous. It's not like you're gonna use the packaging box. At least get a holster-style bag.
    I have a 5dmkii and a 60D, niether on has spent any time in a bag. Do I have a bag? Of course! It's where I keep all my lenses. If your camera is in a bag, you can't use it... If you can't use it, what's the point in having it?

I suppose not everyone keeps their cameras with them everywhere they go, but then if it's not moving, what does it need protection from? ;D

Keep mine with me, but it's much safer in the car, and on the motorcycle, when it's in a bag. Never had a problem using it. It's always ready to go. The bag holds the camera, lenses, flash, spare batteries, spare SD cards, filters, cleaning cloths, and anything else I need at hand.

And you must not have children, or grandchildren. Keeps it safe from little hands.
    Kevin

Tzetsin is offline dPS +1000 Club

Quote Originally Posted by veritasimagery View Post

And you must not have children, or grandchildren. Keeps it safe from little hands.
    Lol I do! But she isn't old enoulph for sticky fingers yet

Quote Originally Posted by Tzetsin View Post
    Lol I do! But she isn't old enoulph for sticky fingers yet
    Just wait. I have four kids that went through that stage. Now I have a 15 month old grandson that loves anything electronic.
    Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 Last