Close
Close
    shannon0813 is offline Geeky Photographer

Question Canon Speedlite 270EX-II vs 320EX

Hello everyone!

I'm new to DPS (just found the site this week, and am VERY glad I did!)

I'm looking for a bit of advice on purchasing a flash for my Canon T3.

Can anyone provide any insight on the differences between the 270EX-II and the 320EX?

Right now my photography is a hobby that is leading me in all different directions. I am doing some portrait work to gain valuable experience but find myself being the "go-to" photographer at any casual work events or personal events for family and friends.

I want to be as versatile as possible - without blowing ALL of my money on equipment. I have other hobbies that help me do that as well

Thanks in advance for any help! Looking forward to getting to know some of you - and hope to post some of my recent shots for critique very soon.

Shannon
    My Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T3
    Tamron 18-270mm, Sigma 10-20mm
    Canon 50mm f1.8 & 85mm f1.8
    Speedlite 430EX

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

If you have to go for one of these (personally, I'd recommend going for (in this order) a used 580EX, 550EX, 430EX, Nissin Di-866, or YN-565EX rather than these two), I'd say go for the 320EX, because it's slightly more powerful and it swivels.

But honestly? Both of these are more toylike than serious portrait tools, and unless you need the tiny size, or the 320EX's video light, chances are good you'd be happier with a flash that actually has a Manual mode on it, because at some point you are, like the rest of us, going to go Strobist, and you're going to want to be able to set the power, and trigger the flash through something other than eTTL/the camera hotshoe. Full Manual on a flash is like full Manual mode on a camera: you'll want to use it for control and consistency.

I would highly recommend looking into getting a used 550EX, 580EX, or 430EX instead, or if you want to stay low-priced and purchase new, a Metz, a Nissin Di-866 or Di-622, or (if you want to scrape the bottom of the barrel) a Yongnuo YN-468 or YN-565EX. You'll be getting a lot more power and a lot more features for roughly the same price.
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list