Close
Close
    Nekrose is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Canon 7D Soft Focus

I was just wondering if anybody was having soft focusing issues with the Canon 7D. I have too many photo's that have been soft, and I am hoping that somebody has an answer to this problem.

Here is a photo that I have which shows the problem. The focus was supposed to be on her face:

Drea (20)
    Website
    Flickr
    Facebook
    Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L

RolandAA is offline dPS Forum Member

I noticed that the ISO was 3200 and a shutter speed of 1/4000. The camera applies a pretty heavy noise reduction to higher ISOs which softens the image. You could have had a sharper image by using using 400 ISO and 1/1000 or 200 ISO and 1/500.

I went from a 10MP XTi to a 15MP 50D a few weeks ago and when looking at 100% view also thought my images were softer than with my old camera. By zooming out to a 66% view which matches the image size of the Xti I realized that the images are as sharp or sharper. When pixel peeping all those extra pixels make anything not absolutely perfect much more apparent. The other thing I needed to do was use the AF micro adjustment to correct some back focusing.

Hope that helps!

OsmosisStudios is offline Don't Panic

Yup, that's heavy noise reduction from being at 3200ISO. You're on the beach at mid-day, you'll be fine. Just as an indicator, here are equivalent exposures (with the aperture remaining the same).

Code:
    ISO          TV          AV
    100          125         f/5.6
    200          250         f/5.6
    400          500         f/5.6
    800          1000        f/5.6
    1600         2000        f/5.6
    3200         4000        f/5.6
    So since you're at ISO3200, 1/4000s and f/5.6, you can drop your ISO all the way to 100 and keep youre aperture the same while still maintaining a 1/125 shutter speed.

If you had a faster lens (say an f/2.8 zoom or f/1.4 prime) you could drop things down another 2 and 4 stops (respectively). Of course, you cant get the ISO any lower, so your shutter speed would go up.
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

Nekrose is offline dPS Forum Member

I definitely agree, that may have been a bad example, sorry.

I know that there was some major noise, and that by softening it I lost a lot of detail, but on most of the other shots, the ISO was strictly set to 100. This was sort of an impromptu shot after I was shooting in the jungle and turned the camera off.

But on the other images, the ones with ISO set at 100, even using a 50mm and flash, the shot's are very soft.
    Website
    Flickr
    Facebook
    Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L

OsmosisStudios is offline Don't Panic

Then let's see the other examples/
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design