Close
Close
    AGMommyof2 is offline I'm new here!

Default PPI Question regarding the T1i

I just purchased the T1i today & have only taken a few pics so far, but am a little, well, frustrated. It's not that the pics are bad ~ for a beginner, I think they've turned out nicely. But here's the problem~ I need pics with at least 300 ppi in order to upload them for the school yearbook that I am working on. However, all the pics according to PSE8 for Mac, are 72 ppi. When I uploaded a bunch of photos taken with my friends Nikon D90 they all came in as 300 ppi. Unfortunately, I could not afford the D90 & since I've had good experience with Canon in the past ~ I opted to get the T1i. Now, I'm worried I've made a horrible mistake...

Is there anyway to get the photos to the computer as 300 ppi straight from the camera? Or am I going to have to resize them after the fact?

OsmosisStudios is online now Don't Panic

PPI and DPI are totally different. You need to learn the difference.
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

AGMommyof2 is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by OsmosisStudios View Post
    PPI and DPI are totally different. You need to learn the difference.
    Yep, I am aware that there is a difference, although it seems that they are used interchangeably (whether right or wrong)... but here is the quote from the LifeTouch Yearbook site...

"Note: What looks good on your monitor may not reproduce well in your yearbook. Most monitors require an image of 72 ppi to display well. Images that will be reproduced in your yearbook should be 300 ppi."

& on their guide...

"To check the resolution of your digital files, open the file in your
    favorite image editing program (e.g., Adobe® PhotoShop®). Choose
    the Image Size option to check the image resolution. You should change
    the unit of measurement to “pixels” to get the most useful measurement.
    Note: Most photos taken by digital cameras have a resolution of 72 dpi.
    To change the resolution to 300 dpi, be sure the “Resample Image” box
    is unchecked. Type 300 in the Resolution box. This does not change
    the pixel size of your image but it will display the accurate width and
    height dimension the image can print at with 300 dpi resolution."

If, after reading these & my original post, anyone has any more wisdom ~ I'd love to hear it.

RichardTaylor is offline dPS +1000 Club

They are using PPI & DPI interchangeably as well!

Think of it this way.

A full size image on your Camera is 4752 x 3168 pixels.

Therefore at 300 "PPI (DPI)"

You will be able to print at 4752/300 x 3168/3200 inches
    -------------------------------- 15.8" x 10.6"
    Well above their guideline as shown in the PDF. Give it time to load.

http://yearbooks.lifetouch.com/uploa...eReference.pdf

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps some in understanding:

*Your camera, at highest quality, records an image that is 4752 x 3168 pixels.

*Unless you crop your image, (chopping off pixels), your image has that many pixels.

*No matter what size it is printed at, it has that many pixels. (The pixels change sizes, not the amount.)

*The bigger the print size, the bigger the pixels get, which means less pixels per inch.
    The smaller the print size, the smaller the pixels get and more can fit per inch.
    The pixel count does not change, just their size.

*So, an uncropped image at highest quality from your camera at 4752 x 3168 pixels,
    divided by 300 (300 pixels per inch, PPI) measures 15.84 inches x 10.56 inches.

You don't have to do any resizing or changing of "DPI". The image file that you have is already the highest quality file. The Photoshop thing that you quoted, about "checking the resolution of your image", is being suggested as just that: checking it, doing the math for you and showing the different print sizes at different PPI (pixels per inch). You don't have to set it at anything, just use it for information on particular images. "Resample" is a whole other subject that, for now, you shouldn't be concerned with. Just make sure the box is unchecked when you are checking for print size info.

Back to your images, the files that you want to upload for the yearbook are the high quality files that you have. Uncropped ones should be 4752 x 3168 pixels. If there are some that are cropped, divide the pixels by 300 and this will give you the image size for that image at 300 ppi. It will then be up to whoever is doing the printing to print your image at the size that they need, at the printing resolution that they want. Again, an uncropped, highest quality image from your camera is 4752 x 3168 pixels, which gives you a print size of 15.84 inches x 10.56 inches at 300 ppi.

I don't know what the dimensions of the yearbook are, but I would think it's that size or smaller, so you should be fine. (Unless you did some real drastic cropping, chopping off a whole bunch of pixels.)

Here's some more reading on this subject:
    PPI, DPI, resolution and print size | DigicamGuides.com
    DPI and PPI Explained
    All About Digital Photos - The Myth of DPI

Good luck and let us know how things worked out.
    Last edited by BryanC; 02-02-2010 at 10:21 PM.

BCampbell is offline verb noun

Good explanation BryanC. This should really be a topic in the FAQ or a sticky, it's come up at least a dozen times in the last week...