This is my first post here in the Before and After section. I've posted quite a few of my drag strip photos in the SYS and Critique sections and have usually had really good feedback on them, so I must be doing something right. But, I wanted to try posting one here in the Before and After to see what you guys think. To see if maybe there's something in my PP that could be done better to enhance the images a little more. I look forward to seeing what you all think!
Link to the full sized after image: Z Max June 2011 :: IMG_0134.jpg picture by Stormchaser2o11 - Photobucket
1) As you can see there is definitely major cropping, as is the case with most pictures I take at the strip. Sometimes the fast paced action is just too quick to get a tight SOOC shot.
2) Using the Camera Raw Editor while importing into PS CS5.1, I first change the exposure to reach a level that looks most appealing to me. I tend to overexpose on the slider, then bring it back from there until I'm happy with it.
3) Due to this shot being taken in the evening and the lighting not quite being optimal and being on the shadowed side of the subject, I used a heavier fill light than I normally would, but I don't think the image suffered for it any.
4) This is normally the part where I up the warmth a little bit, but being that I was editing a few hundred pictures, I forgot to do that on this specific photo. If you think it could use a little more warmth, please let me know. If you think it's fine the way it is, I'd like to know that too
5) I go to the Tone Curve tab in the Camera Raw Editor and set it to heavy contrast preset, just slightly tweaking the points a little. Heavy contrast doesn't work well for every photo, but I believe it does well in this one.
6) I run a plugin by Topaz called Topaz Denoise 5 "I've used all the major denoise plugins as well as stand alone software, and for me, this one has blown them all out of the water" The plugin scans the image to determine how best to remove the noise, and then I usually stick with it's presets to get the desired result.
7) I run Topaz Lens Effects to apply sharpening to the image "like the denoise plugin, it scans the image to determine how best to apply the sharpening effects."
And other than adding a signature, that's the end of the PP for this image. Love to hear some feedback on what you think, or maybe a little insight into what you would have done differently. Thanks! =)