Close
Close
Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last
    Jackal is offline I'm new here!

Default Street Photography

Really appreciate the B&W version.
    Living in a world in which there is no reality - only perception.

bahgheera is offline Moderation team? Who?

Thats an awesome shot! I'm too nervous to ask characters like this if its ok, heh heh. One day I'll work up the nerve and get a great photo like this.

Its interesting how at first, you see the beard, the hat, the coat, the dirty wall, and all the other details. But if you stop and think about it for a minute, you realize you're missing the entire subject of the photo - there's a human being in there. There's a man there who probably has an amazing tale to tell, and knows more of life than we can ever imagine. Who knows what he's been through, what roads he's traveled, what far fetched events have fallen on that wizened countenance?

Something to think about, best to not focus on technicalities every once in a while.

Laters...
    Last edited by bahgheera; 11-20-2007 at 12:36 AM.

peeperita is offline Super Moderator

the sepia version blows me away...it's definitely a keeper....and the touch of blue is nice as well....

great image!

peeper
    Quote Originally Posted by Peach View Post
    Ok. I've taken all the advise here and these are the results.

Photo in Sepia

Photo in B&W

Photo with touch of blue

Personally, I'm partial to the strict black and white after playing with the curves, adding more sharpening to it, and adjusting the brightness and contrast.
    canon rebel xt, sigma 28-70mm

peeperita's flickriver

teinee is offline dPS Forum Member

What a great shot. I think we all have a favorite, they are all really good and show great detail, and tell quite a story.

Miss Red is offline dPS Forum Member

Oh my gosh. This photo. Wow. Blows me away. Excellent shot. I love the sepia one as well.

GREAT JOB!
    Nikon D40 w/18-55mm Kit Lens
    Myflickr

Ok to edit and repost my photos in DPS forums.

photofun is offline dPS Forum Member

This is an amazing shot! I'm so impressed - I would have hurriedly taken the first shot and that would have been it. I get so flustered when taking people. I think the best shots are when people completely ignore the camera, although I've seen some pretty good posed pictures too.

WooD is offline Super Moderator

Fantastic shot. You should be proud.

Only thing I wish....is that I'd taken it.

Peach is offline Ninja Zombie Assassin

You guys are amazing; thank you for all the wonderful comments! This truly is my best and favorite shot and I am so proud of it. I am fixing up the original one (it's a huge size; something to the tune of 24 inches tall) so I can get this printed out and put in a frame. Aside from the photos I took in Brazil in March, I rarely print out my pictures because I don't feel they're ever any good. This one though - is my pride and joy. I wish I knew the guy's name or how to find him - I'd positively give him a framed print of it. But I think he was a drifter. He didn't really say anything to me except 'yes' and 'you're welcome'. My mom commented on his beard and asked how long it took to grow but I didn't hear the answer.

I think, not knowing anything about him makes this portrait all the more interesting - there's so many possibilities as to who he is and what makes him the way he is. I've titled the picture on deviantart as "Story Unknown" which I think is very fitting.

Again, thank you for the wonderful comments.
    Nikon D40x | Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Adobe Photoshop CS3 | Adobe Photoshop CS5
    --Flickr

chireau is offline dPS Forum Member

One advice that is commonly given by people who do lots of strangers/homeless photography: Show them that you are interrested in their story, their lives etc. Ask them how they're going through their lives, their difficulties, etc. (it can be homeless, or seniors in hospitals, I even talked to dying people when I was at the hospital..)

Lots of homeless just want to tell their personnal experience, they want to be heard, to feel that someone is actually interrested in listening to them... That anyone actually cares. That someone actually respects them.

Sometimes you will feel that they will accept to be photographed, other times they wont... (you can actually feel that by trying to know them). And if you want a shot when he dosent notice the camera... just come back a couple of minutes later, and take your picture (this way, they will remember you and wont get mad at you, and you will still have an improvised shot).

Spare some change with them, since you are taking they time (which they could have used in trying to make a living instead)... they will appreciate it! What's 10$ for you, but imagine if this 10$ is how they started that day!

This way you will take better pictures, by knowing why they became what they are, why are they so harsh sometimes... why do they have so many wrinkles, why do they seem older than they actually are...

I've spoken to a dying man (lung cancer, terminal).. and from that day on I feel I shouldnt be scared of death, I should be like him... in peace with myself... and I knew what I wanted to do in life... photographing people... making the ordinary feel and look like the extraordinary.
    Last edited by chireau; 03-20-2008 at 02:44 AM.

southernbelle is offline dPS +1000 Club

I LOVE the Sepia one!!!!! Great shot!

Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last