Close
Close
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    freakdiver is offline I'm new here!

Default Kuala Lumpur Beggar

ISO200, f5.6, 1/20s shutter, WB Shade, Nikkor 28-200mm, handheld

Time: 230pm
    Date: 12.01.07
    Description: Went to "hike" the city of Kuala Lumpur this afternoon. This is one of the many pictures I took. The story of a man who became a beggar. I wonder where his kids are (if he has any), what is his history and what was he before he became a beggar?

Manipulated in PSCS2 - levels, curves, desaturated

Care to comment & criticise? Thank you

KagoGrl is offline dPS Forum Member

I like what you've done with this pic. First, I like the high contrast. And second, I like the way you depicted the movement of the people who just walk on past the stationary beggar. Nicely captured.
    Cheers!
    Kate

Flickr Stream
    It is NOT okay to edit and re-post my images. Thanks!

wulf is offline Ninja Moderator

It might be improved with the beggar sitting a little further away from the vertical centre line (I would probably put him towards the right, "seeing" most of the frame) but overall I think it is an excellent shot. The way you have done the high contrast black and white effect is superb and the concept (stationery beggar / people walking by) is well-executed.

Nice work.

Wulf
    Last edited by wulf; 01-12-2007 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Spelling!
    Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
    Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

alissasanderson is offline dPS Forum Member

I think it's a lovely shot. I especially like the movement of the people in the background. I might of like to have seen it in color, just because I imagine the scarves of those women must be beautiful but that's just personal preference.
    Life's Little Adventures (My Blog)
    My Flickr Photostream

it's ok with me if you re-edit and re-post my shots within a thread on DPS forums

greer is offline I'm new here!

Interesting shot, well executed. Not easy to hand hold at that shutter speed. There is certainly a story to be told here, and the motion blur on the women certainly plays up on that.

I like the shot as is so I don't know if there is much I could suggest for improvement, but here are some ideas:

The partial sign in the upper left (and the rather large watermark, although I'm sure you have your reasons for that) tend to pull me out of the shot. I can't help but wonder what a tighter crop would look like. You could move the man towards the right as Wulf suggested. Maybe you could even go as far as cropping off the women near the shoulder to emphasize that the man is not at eye level with the rest of the world - placing further emphasis on the inequality.

hsroxas is offline dPS Forum Member

Hi Freakdiver!
    I certainly admire the technique that you used. Captured in a different way,i.e., with a higher shutter speed, it would have not told the same story that your image did.
    The story your image is telling me is the seemingly indifferent attitude that the public has on beggars. This is effectively conveyed by the motion of the people who appers to be just passing by the beggar without paying much attention to him.
    I learned something from you today. I havent used the technique in that fashion yet. Thanks.

Saralonde is offline Administrator

Definitely agree with the others on the motion of the women passing the begger really making an interesting story from your shot. I like the b&w, but then I'm partial to b&w shots. Very well done.
    Linda
    My Gear
    OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
    flickr

deck is offline dPS Forum Member

Thank you to all the praises.

Yes, i do agree that this shot can be improved. I really liked the idea where putting the beggar to the far right and cropping the women at their shoulder. Never thought about it that way but certainly I want to give it a try.

Thank you again.

To Alissa & those who were wondering about the coloured version:

Page 1 of 3 123 Last