Close
Close
    SexyNinjaMonkey is offline I'm new here!

Default The Potbelleez @ OneLove

I took this shot a couple of weeks back while i was down at Tank nightclub in Sydney for OneLove. Some of my friends, The Potbelleez where having an awesome set that night and i scored a few good pics.
    This is one i particularly liked... Had to squueze through a large crowd and jump up in the back of the dj booth to get this.... Used the flash with a slower than usual shutter speed so i could get the shot as well as the colours from the lighting. What do you think???
    DSC_0020DSC_0020 Hosted on Zooomr

Fraggleroxer is offline dPS Forum Member

nice. would like to see his face or the scene from the front. it looked like u rear synced your flash? or you slowed down ur shutter speed...right?
    "perfect is good enough"
    "photographs are usually looked, rarely looked into"
    20d---50mm f1.8---70-200 f2.8---lensbaby---holgas!

Amigone201 is offline dPS Forum Member

That's excellent! How did you keep him in focus despite slowing down the shutter? Were you braced on something?

Fraggleroxer is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amigone201 View Post
    That's excellent! How did you keep him in focus despite slowing down the shutter? Were you braced on something?
    i believe he used a flash, which would freeze motion in the image, then he slowed the shutter down to capture the ambient light
    "perfect is good enough"
    "photographs are usually looked, rarely looked into"
    20d---50mm f1.8---70-200 f2.8---lensbaby---holgas!

Darren Rowse is offline Administrator

i believe he used a flash, which would freeze motion in the image, then he slowed the shutter down to capture the ambient light
    yeah - most point and shoot digital cameras and entry level to intermediate DSLRs have a mode called 'night mode' which does this for you. it's a great mode for any low light situation where you want to freeze part of the action. It's great at parties where there are coloured lights or street scenes where there is color and movement in the background but a main subject that you want to be frozen.

Darren Rowse is offline Administrator

with regards to this image - the top half of the image is strong for me but where it is a little weaker is the lower half where the flash is harsher and the shadows it creates are in effect. Not sure if you were using a built in flash or one that you could have bounced/diffused but a less direct flash might have helped keep the mood you've got going in the top half going down low.

Still - I like the effect and take a lot of similar shots at parties - they are always a lot of fun.

SexyNinjaMonkey is offline I'm new here!

Good call Darren... Gotta love that night-mode for this effect...
    Being a trashbag photographer at nightclubs going manual can get difficult after all the drinks i have... So built in settings come in real handy.
    I didn't brace myself... i never do for these kind of shots. Of course that means that sometimes they come out looking like complete sh*t. I have a pretty steady hand so as long as i don't get bumped the pic's usually come out pretty good... even when i'm off my face.
    Oh and i was not able to use a bounce flash properly in this particular nightclub the roof is way too high, plus the walls are somewhat non-reflective in thise venue. I tried bouncing, but it was then too dark and the shutter delay was too long for me to actually get a clear shot.
    For anyone who's interested in nightclub photo's you can check out more of my work on inthemix, australia's premier club/music website: http://www.inthemix.com.au/profile/SexyNinjaMonkey
    But personally i think i'm a better rock photographer. Even though my personal favourite style is Urban.
    Respect,
    Luke