Thread: "Texture" 24 Sept - 8 Oct (2008)
10-01-2008, 03:59 PM #1
"Texture" 24 Sept - 8 Oct (2008)
This week"s assignment is "Texture". I hope you took the time to read the entry on the DPS blog about the Five Elements of Composition. There is also a useful post about "Using Light to Create Texture".
As for adding texture in post processing, check out these 2 tutorials: Mpix and flickr.
An example of a subject with texture:
An example of texture added later in post processing:
As always, don't forget the rules:
1. The image you submit should be taken between the 24 September (when it was announced) and 8 October (until one of the moderators closes the the mini-contest).
2. Your post must include "Assignment: Texture" (to show your permission to count it for the contest) and the date the picture was taken (to show that it is a valid entry).
3. EXIF data should be intact. It helps if you can include the main points (including camera, lens, date taken, ISO, shutter speed and aperture) in the text of your message.
4. Only one entry per member (if you can't restrain yourself until the end of the first week you can post two or three separate pictures but your entry should be in a separate post and the only marked with the text above).
5. Remember the cross-site image size limit (640px on the longest side).
6. If the image does not exist in post at the end of the contest, it is disqualified. If you modify anything on flickr and re-save the image then the link is broken and the message needs edited to link the picture again before it will be included in the contest.
For everyone, please do not repeat other people's photos by quoting them until the contest is over. If you want to comment on or discuss an entry you can use a link to it (or just delete the picture from the quoted text).
Next week's assignment (for which you can begin taking pictures now) is a fun one, "Bubbles". This can be silly, frothy fun, incorporate people or perhaps you have an interesting take on the subject.
10-01-2008, 04:08 PM #2
Here is my entry for this assignment ... i took a lot for this assignment but I think this is my favorite
I did some post processing by adding more shadows, contrast and saturated the colors
Date Taken: Sept. 30, 2008
Camera: Nikon Coolpix S210
Focal Length: 18.9mm
Exposure: 0.017s (1/160)
Last edited by GwenieThePooh; 10-01-2008 at 04:13 PM.GwenWeber
Nikon-D7000; Nikon D-5000; Coolpix S8000; NIkkor 28-80mm & 70-300mm; Nikkor 12-24mm Wide Angle; Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 Macro, Nikon , Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 & 55-200mm, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 & 35mm f/1.8
10-01-2008, 05:07 PM #3I'm new here!
- Join Date
- Aug 2008
- Seattle, WA
YAY!! My first assignment post and I have just the perfect one! I took this yesterday while out and about shooting buildings.
This was shot through the atrium of the lobby, looking up to the building. There were no effects done in photoshop other than cropping and highlights.
Taken on: September 30, 2008 at 6.20pm PDT
Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Exposure: 0.025 sec (1/40)
Focal Length: 47 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 0/2 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire
10-01-2008, 06:49 PM #4
Here is my assignment photo; 2nd time to submit to the 'weekly assignment thread' in past 6 months.
Taken on a photo hunt at San Juan Capistran Mission here in So Cal.
Taken: Sept. 25, 2008
Camera: Sony Cyber-shot 8.1 m.px
Flash: Not used
Did post production "photo shopping" to bring up shadows & contrast.
Am am very much a student, so would absolutey appreciate feedback from the group.
Thank you! And happy snapping to all!
Last edited by wulf; 10-04-2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Please use medium size when posting from Flickr
10-01-2008, 06:50 PM #5
10-01-2008, 08:00 PM #6
Golden barrel cactus
Last edited by MatthewBotos; 10-07-2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Forgot the contest tag...
10-01-2008, 08:55 PM #7
Assignment: Texture - Texture on the sand
Last edited by nuno; 10-02-2008 at 07:20 PM. Reason: forgot to add Assignment: Texture to the title of the post.nuno
EOS 50D - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - 17-50mm f/2.8 - 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM
My Flickr Stream
10-01-2008, 08:57 PM #8
MatthewBotos - Wow that's an awesome picture.
10-01-2008, 09:34 PM #9
10-01-2008, 09:40 PM #10I'm new here!
- Join Date
- Aug 2008
I am having difficulty on how to post a submission for the assignment. Can you take me through it