Close
Close
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... Last
    wulf is offline Ninja Moderator

Default Assignment: Filters (10 Sep - 24 Sep)

Photography is all about capturing light. One established way to add variety is to add a filter to the lens. In the world of digital photography, the options have multiplied - you can fit a physical filter to the front of the camera, adjust the white balance or add the filter in post-processing. Here is an example where I did the latter, illustrating the effect of translucent layers of purple and orange:

Fiftytwo - Week 10: Filtered

For this week's assignment, filter your light. Keep any post-processing minimal beyond the filtering. Tell us what kind of filter you used and why you chose it. Your end result should be an image that inspires other people to want to filter their light too!

Don't forget the rules:
    1. The image you submit should be taken between the 10 September (when it was announced) and 24 September (until one of the moderators closes the the mini-contest).

2. Your post must include "Assignment: Filters" (to show your permission to count it for the contest) and the date the picture was taken (to show that it is a valid entry).

3. EXIF data should be intact. It helps if you can include the main points (including camera, lens, date taken, ISO, shutter speed and aperture) in the text of your message.

4. Only one entry per member (if you can't restrain yourself until the end of the first week you can post two or three separate pictures but your entry should be in a separate post and the only marked with the text above).

5. Remember the cross-site image size limit (640px on the longest side).

6. If the image does not exist in post at the end of the contest, it is disqualified. If you modify anything on flickr and re-save the image then the link is broken and the message needs edited to link the picture again before it will be included in the contest.
    For everyone, please do not repeat other people's photos by quoting them until the contest is over. If you want to comment on or discuss an entry you can use a link to it (or just delete the picture from the quoted text).

Next week's assignment (for which you can begin taking pictures now) is "Costumes".

Wulf

ps. if you want to share the love and link back to DPS from wherever you publish your photos, click on my image above for an example
    Last edited by wulf; 09-17-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Links back
    Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
    Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Saralonde is offline Administrator

This is one I took last year while playing around with smoke. To give it some color, I added a red gel filter over my flash. Not quite the same as over a lens, but also a way to use a gel filter to affect your shot.
    Red Smoke (by saralonde)
    Last edited by Saralonde; 09-17-2008 at 07:03 PM.
    Linda
    My Gear
    OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
    flickr

leafyfingers is offline dPS Forum Member

Being a newbie...this assignment totally throws me...
    I know nothing about filters..
    Are we supposed to use something colored in front of the lens...or use photoshop to make something colored?
    HELP...I am totally confused!
    flickr
    Kodak Easyshare M753
    Canon Powershot A630

Seltzer is offline Absent Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by leafyfingers View Post
    Are we supposed to use something colored in front of the lens...or use photoshop to make something colored?
    From how I understand it you can do either. For something in front of the lens it would have to be fairly transparent. However, If you have something colored to put in front of the light source (flash, window, etc..) as with what Saralonde did, or use a color reflector it will color your light and image in general. Another fun thought may be to purposely set off your white balance on the camera to think white is a different color, but I don't think that is the intended idea in this, would just be to play. So, to answer your question, yes, something to color the light/image in general or use photoshop to do a colored transparent filter on a section.
    Cameras:
    Canon Rebel XSi (450D)
    Canon Lenses: 18-55mm IS kit lens, 50mm 1.8, EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Accessories: Lowepro Fastpack 250 backpack, Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash
    OK to edit & repost my images in the DPS forum only.
    Click for my flickr
    The views expressed by this user should not be taken as the views of DPS.. basically if you don't like what I say, tell me, don't blame the site.

candleman is offline Bad at explaining

i believe it was acceptable to use in camera custom WB??
    correct?
    (thats what i'd planned to do anyway)
    http://www.flashpointphotography.co.nz/
    D300s | D7000 | D80 | 17-50f/2.8 | 50-150f/2.8 | 24-70f/2.8 | 10-20 f/3.5 | SB910 | SB900 | SB600 | SB28 PhottixStratos

candleman is offline Bad at explaining

[QUOTE=Seltzer;275208]Another fun thought may be to purposely set off your white balance on the camera to think white is a different color, but I don't think that is the intended idea in this, would just be to play. QUOTE]

I see.
    oh well photoshop it is...
    http://www.flashpointphotography.co.nz/
    D300s | D7000 | D80 | 17-50f/2.8 | 50-150f/2.8 | 24-70f/2.8 | 10-20 f/3.5 | SB910 | SB900 | SB600 | SB28 PhottixStratos

baldmountain is offline dPS Forum Member

Me either! But I think that is the point.

Are we supposed to use something colored in front of the lens...
    I think this is the case. Wulf wants us to look beyond pointing the camera and clicking the button. To investigate what happens when you put different colored, or better yet, different kinds of filters, between the lens and your subject. He wants you to pretend you are a kid and play. Just because Wulf used a colored plastic sheet doesn't mean you have to. You could use a screen or a sheet of paper, colored plastic wrap, muslin, water, beer, vegetable oil or anything else you can think of. I was thinking I might have to buy an official camera filter, but that is not the case.

I think.

Saralonde is offline Administrator

Here is an example of what a difference filters can make on a b&w image. I did this quickly in Picasa, but adding a filter to your lens would give you the same effect. If you used an slr with film, you might be familiar with the effect a filter could give you.

B&W, no filter:
    B & W no filter (by saralonde)

Red filter:
    Red filter (by saralonde)

Green filter:
    Green filter (by saralonde)

You can see a subtle difference in the tones of the hair, intensity of lips and brightness of skin. The red filter tends to work very well with black and white portraits. You can click on the images to see larger versions on my flickr site.

Although this can be done in post processing (as I did quickly above), try to do it with an actual filter to see the possibilities.
    Linda
    My Gear
    OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
    flickr

k9mom is offline dPS Forum Member

Google is your friend. I'm in the same boat, aside from the neutral UV filters I have on my lenses, this is an area of photography I have zero knowledge of. However, a google search for "photography + filters" brought up some great resources with examples and interesting DIY filters to try out. Should be fun!

Nicole is offline Dr. Super Moderator

Towering Memorial (by -Nicole-)
    Taken: 14/9/2008
    Exposure: 1/320s
    Aperture: f/8
    ISO: 200
    Filter: Polarizing filter (plus levels adjustments, however, the sky did start as a dark, nearly black navy).

This was taken
    Nikon D600 | D90 | Sony NEX-3
    Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
    My Flickr

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... Last