Close
Close
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... Last
    Sime is offline Must. Get. Coffee. Quick.

Default News Photography

Get out there! Capture the news as it happens!... Or, Build a news desk and shoot yourself? Turn a child into a reporter? ...Just make it something that says to the viewer "News or Reportage"

Show me your journalistic skills!

Here's My attempt...

Free Burma | Monks Chanting

Exif data should still be intact if you wish to participate in the mini contest.

The image in question should be taken between 26th March and 9th April 2008.

Your post must include "Assignment: News" to show your permission to count it for the contest.

***next weeks assignment will be SPRING!***
    Last edited by Sime; 04-02-2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Yep... Assignment: News

jarrol is offline dPS Forum Member

How about Assignment: News

not Assignment: Your Morning

:P
    ~Deano~

Canon 40D - 17-85 Canon USM IS - 75-300 Canon EF

http://jarrolspot.blogspot.com

Sime is offline Must. Get. Coffee. Quick.

Quote Originally Posted by jarrol View Post
    How about Assignment: News
    not Assignment: Your Morning
    :P
    If it's DAFT O'CLOCK - raise your hand [raises hand]

Igor is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Assignment: News Photography

I was thinking about the assignment driving home from lunch. Not likely that I'm going to chase after firetrucks. I saw people putting out stars on the lawn. That's interesting! I wonder what that's all about?

So, in news reporter fashion, I dropped them an email. Here's part of the reply:

"April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month, and each year for the past 4 years, STARRY has placed this display of gold stars on the lawn at TBCH and the STARRY building on N Mays. Each star represents a Williamson County child that was confirmed by Child Protective Services to have been abused or neglected in the past year.

The stars have been placed with no explanation for the first several days in order to create exactly the question you raised. 'What's this all about?' Early next week, we will add two large banners explaining the purpose of the display..."

A gloomy subject, and an overcast day.

STARRY2

I suspect the photo editor for a newspaper would crop out most of the right margin. As a photo,I wanted the traffic on the right edge to show they chose a high traffic commute route for their display.

Exif at Flickr

Last edited by Igor; 04-02-2008 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Anchor to EXIF
    Cheers,
    Igor

Sony Alpha 100, Maxxum AF Power Zoom 35-80mm, Maxxum AF Zoom xi 80-200mm

BulldogMom is offline aka KKH Photos

Default Sad News

This isn't for the contest as there is no one set of data, but all the photos in this montage were shot on the same day.

Our little town is usually a quiet place with not much more than the weather or the last ball game to report on. When you go out walking there are always lots of other people out to stop and chat with, children playing ball in the park, little ol' ladies tending to their flower beds, always a friendly wave and a "how ya doin today". You know, the kind of place where everyone in the county know your business.

However that changed on March 25. You notice in these photos taken just a couple days after that- no one is out and about. It was an errie quiet walk that day.

On March 25 one of our local farmers was found murdered in his home. In the middle of the day. It was, they say, a very brutal bloody scene. Word about is that he had been tapped to a chair in his living room and shot in the head with a hunting rifle.

On March 28 as I opened the county news paper this flyer fell out. It had been tucked between the pages of pictures of the grade school wrestlers, high school basketball girls, and the Easter Bunny.

As of this time the murder is still unsolved except that they think it is linked to another farm burglery that took place the same day just down the road.

I think that our little town has forever been changed.

My appoligies for starting this assignment off on such a sad note, but I wanted to share.

Hopefully I will have a happy news shot to share with you all before this assignment is over. Maybe a nice spring weather report.

Sad News Montage
    "I won't see it - 'till I believe it." ~ Dewitt Jones
    KKH Photos Facebook Blog
    Canon Rebel XTi, Opteka power grip, Sigma 70-300 DG APO, Canon EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II, Canon EF 17-40 USM L won at DPS!, Kenko Extension Tubes, Photoshop Elements 5.0, Digital Photo Professional

southernbelle is offline dPS +1000 Club

Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post

I was thinking about the assignment driving home from lunch. Not likely that I'm going to chase after firetrucks. I saw people putting out stars on the lawn. That's interesting! I wonder what that's all about?

So, in news reporter fashion, I dropped them an email. Here's part of the reply:

"April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month, and each year for the past 4 years, STARRY has placed this display of gold stars on the lawn at TBCH and the STARRY building on N Mays. Each star represents a Williamson County child that was confirmed by Child Protective Services to have been abused or neglected in the past year.

The stars have been placed with no explanation for the first several days in order to create exactly the question you raised. 'What's this all about?' Early next week, we will add two large banners explaining the purpose of the display..."

A gloomy subject, and an overcast day.

STARRY2

I suspect the photo editor for a newspaper would crop out most of the right margin. As a photo,I wanted the traffic on the right edge to show they chose a high traffic commute route for their display.

Thank you for finding something to show it is Child Abuse Awareness month...I wanted to do so too(still looking). I am a huge advocate against Child abuse...

Melinda is offline dPS Forum Member

Default storm

Not for assignment because of time frame. This is a picture of the news crew at our town after a horrible storm which caused extreme flooding and over 100 mph winds which flattened fields of trees. This was taken Nov. 07. You can still see the effects of the destruction.
    storm07 037

darrell is offline dPS Forum Member

I wish I knew the assignment ahead of time. I didn't read it in the first post of the last assignment. I saw a drug bust go down yesterday. Bunch of cops, dogs, and one sad looking teen.
    Nikon D40 -- 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 -- 50mm AF f/1.8

dlaf is offline dPS +1000 Club

Quote Originally Posted by Sime™ View Post
    [COLOR="Black"]
    ***next weeks assignment will be SPRING!***
    What's it like for the folks "down under" this time of year? Autumn?
    Debbie
    Canon Powershot A650IS (Bridge Camera)
    Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.

OK to edit and repost only on DPS forums.
    If you're bored: My flickr

hazmat is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Assignment: News Photography

Fire!

Taken within the last 30 minutes, 2 building down from my work location. This is the closest the Fire Department would let me get. I had to shoot it through a chain link fence at a 200MM focal.
    "Hazmat in Suesville"
    Nikon D40X | AF-S Nikkor 55-200 mm 1:4-5.6G VR
    Flickr
    Blog

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... Last