Close
Close
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    KurtM is offline Support Public Radio

Seriously folks, American Alligator is NOT a threat to humans. Whenever I am around them, they pretty much exhibit but one mission in life, and that is to get the heck away from me. The closer I get, the more gung-ho they are about scooting. I have absolutely no fear of jumping in the water with them, can't imagine why anyone would be afraid of them. Unless, perhaps, they watch too much cable TV, and confuse gators with crocs.

Notes:
    1. I am talking about American Alligator. You're on your own with crocodiles, kaimens, etc. Especially crocodiles.
    2. I am talking about American Alligator in Texas. You're quite on your own with gators in Florida, where habitat is in desperate shape. Remember, even a rat will fight back if cornered.
    3. I imagine gators in Louisiana are even more skittish than ours, as Cajuns really do bite 'em back.
    4. Gators look dangerous, but don't attack humans. Electricity looks safe, but will toss a full grown man across a room. Maybe appearances aren't all that reliable after all.
    5. You're on your own if you think it's cute to feed them.
    6. Practice common sense and you'll do fine. Is it just me, or do people seriously lack common sense?
    Cheers, Kurt Maurer
    Canon T3i w/ Canon 100-400mm & 15-85mm lenses
    Always okay for dps users to critique and edit my photos for instructional purposes.
    My flickr

BuddhaPi is offline Middle School Graduate

I see plenty of gators here as well, and like any other animal they fear us..The problems occur when asshats decide to feed them, then they become beggars and lose that fear of us..thats when bad things happen... There was just a story in the paper recently about a Gator at PGA National , someone let their little ankle biting pooch out loose, it went to waters edge and quickly became breakfast.. So now the residents want the gators removed, like it was his fault...

It amazes that people just don't "get" they we are living in their yard, don't like it head to I95 north!
    Nikon D7000:18-105mm VR Kit, Nikkor 35-70mm 2.8AF, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8d AF, Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF, SB600
    Web Design of Palm Beach
    Photo Blog
    Become a Fan on Facebook

mosgood is offline Accroches-toi a ton reve

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaPi View Post
    I see plenty of gators here as well, and like any other animal they fear us..The problems occur when asshats decide to feed them, then they become beggars and lose that fear of us..thats when bad things happen... There was just a story in the paper recently about a Gator at PGA National , someone let their little ankle biting pooch out loose, it went to waters edge and quickly became breakfast.. So now the residents want the gators removed, like it was his fault...

It amazes that people just don't "get" they we are living in their yard, don't like it head to I95 north!
    Great advice! The other thing to remember is never act like a prey animal. Gators & other predators can not tell a human from any other form of food.

Several years ago, a bicyclist made the mistake of going out by himself in a rugged wilderness park & ended up being mountain lion dinner. Why? His bike had a problem, & he was hunkered down beside it, trying to repair it. Probably never saw the big cat stalking him. It's not the cat's fault. Animals just follow their instincts & the drive to eat outweighs most everything else.

Nice shots btw! I'd shoot a gator, no problem! However, I would get nervous if one of them got too close to the boat.
    Last edited by mosgood; 02-22-2012 at 08:46 PM.
    My cameras: 2 Nikon dSLRs, 4 lenses, + a Canon P&S
    "Photographers are the only ones who can go out and shoot something ... and bring it back alive." - Peter Blaise

Michael_2010 is offline Sharp Shooter

Welllllllllllllllll............ I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time figuring out which gator is friendly and recently had a good meal. That's why they make telephoto lenses!

KurtM is offline Support Public Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_2010 View Post
    Welllllllllllllllll............ That's why they make telephoto lenses!
    No question about it, there's something to be said for this idea........
    Cheers, Kurt Maurer
    Canon T3i w/ Canon 100-400mm & 15-85mm lenses
    Always okay for dps users to critique and edit my photos for instructional purposes.
    My flickr

ArmySoldier777 is offline dPS +1000 Club

Quote Originally Posted by KurtM View Post
    No question about it, there's something to be said for this idea........
    Which is why almost every picture you see of a bear is with a 500mm lens . Although sometimes you get those daredevils at 400 lol.
    David
    Equipment
    Camera: Canon 6D | Lens: Canon 24-105 F/4L , 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8, Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Flashes : 430EX II, YN-560 II x 3 | Tripod: Manfrotto 055XProB / 498RC2 Ballhead
    Portfolio, Flickr

Page 2 of 2 First 12