Close
Close
    ChanzM is offline I'm new here!

Default Rule of thirds???

Hey Peeps,

Would you say by looking at this photo that I do have some understanding about rule of thirds? As a beginner I find it quite a task to think about the rule of thirds togther with the composition (phew) Btw, aren't rules meant to be broken??

Canon EOS 1100D
    f/5
    Iso 100
    1/250s

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ChanzM; 01-19-2013 at 09:12 PM.
    Live~Laugh~Love

Linnea is offline dPS Forum Member

I would not really class this as an example of rule of thirds, I mean you got its nose in one of the rule of thirds intersections but that's about it. I would rather say that this is more about diagonal/leading lines. And yes rules are meant to be broken so if you went for breaking the rule on purpose then you succeeded, but if you were trying to go for a strict rule of thirds then a different vantage point (more to your left and down) would have been better to place it in a more horizontal line. But that's just my opinion, others may think differently.
    Photography student with a burning passion for wildlife and nature.
    Canon EOS 60D
    Sigma DC 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Metz 36 AF-5 + other accessories
    Follow me on: Facebook | deviantArt | dayviews | Flickr | ViewBug

Trader is offline dPS +1000 Club

To answer your question I would say that you do not understand the rule of thirds. I don't think they apply to this image at all.

flickr
    - - Nikon D3S & D300; Nikkor 28-300mm AF-S f/1:3.5-5.6G VR, 50mm f/1.4D, 105mm f/2.8G, 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G, 300mm f/2.8G ED AF-S VR IF, Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3, Nikon AF-STC-20Eii 2.0x Teleconverter and 2 SB-900s with reflectors, light stands, LumiQuest Softbox iii, & umbrellas.

I agree that this is more about leading lines than ROT. In this case, the leading lines lead us to an empty spot on the frame (so the reason behind the rule for leading lines is missed).

For this image, an idea that would be more consistent with the ROT would be to frame this really tight putting the gator's eye at one of the ROT intersections (I'd pick the upper left corner myself) with nothing more than the texture of the gator's skin filling the rest of the frame. Especially if you could get a lower vantage point, getting on eye level...

The eye has good character and makes an interesting subject. That would be something to take advantage of.
    Dave.
    It's not even about the pictures; it's about the memories and communication.

Jim Bryant is offline Stoned Cold Crazy
    2nd star to the left and straight on until morning

I like the placement of the gator coming down from the top left hand side corner. I would have copped in from the right hand side and up from the bottom of the frameto put more emphasis on the face and eye. Did you get any shots from a lower angle. Most folks take pictures from the standing position and taking some by being on knees or sitting on butt will give the viewer and photographer a different perspective.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

ChanzM is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bryant View Post
    I like the placement of the gator coming down from the top left hand side corner. I would have copped in from the right hand side and up from the bottom of the frameto put more emphasis on the face and eye. Did you get any shots from a lower angle. Most folks take pictures from the standing position and taking some by being on knees or sitting on butt will give the viewer and photographer a different perspective.
    I like it the way you cropped it. I'm still very new at this (hobby only) This was taken in a sanctuary, so you cant get any closer to the baby crocs.

One day I'll get it right

Thanks for the advice
    Live~Laugh~Love

redartsjr is offline JustMe

I think your camera has a grid pattern you can switch to in the view finder or on the display that might help you to compose your shot to comply with "The Rules Of Thirds" Check your manual under display features. I think. Nice shot by the way. I like it. Is that a caiman. Or just a baby crock? He/She blends in nicely with what looks like a marble floor.
    Rick