Close
Close
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    mosgood is offline Accroches-toi a ton reve

Hi Lance,

You can still do this without a speedlight. Just use a lamp set up near your dog to throw some additional light on her. Use a faster shutter speed, & experiment with your depth of field until you find the right balance. The indoor light should fool the camera into making the skies showing through the window darker. It'll take some patience but she looks like the type to be a fairly cooperative model. Small low calorie treats are great bribes. I use them all the time! You might be able to get some better pictures of your black dog using similar methods. I shoot black animals all the time as a volunteer for a couple of rescue groups. They are challenging, but good outdoor lighting (think overcast skies but still sunny-shadows will be less pronounced-the clouds work just like a softbox), or a well lit room, will help you get past this hurtle. Plus some editing in a photo program should help you pull out some good shots. Looking forward to seeing more of your dogs' photos.

Good luck!
    My cameras: 2 Nikon dSLRs, 4 lenses, + a Canon P&S
    "Photographers are the only ones who can go out and shoot something ... and bring it back alive." - Peter Blaise

Jay Elle Eff is offline Photography enthusiast

How gorgeous! We had to have our retriever put down a few weeks ago, old age. Your photo captures your dog beautifully. I love the was his/her head is on the paw, and the way the dog's upper lip is squashed, so typical! Technically, the photo may not be perfect, but I love the photo anyway.
    Is the sky on the original really too bad? The sky on the one you first posted definitely look over-processed, but my thoughts are that the dog is so prominent, an over-exposed sky wouldn't be all that bad. Sometimes detail in the sky can be too distracting anyway. Could you please post the original for us to see?
    My gear: Canon 60D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5, 55-250mm f/4, and 50mm f1.8.
    My website Jay Elle Eff.
    "It's better to be a first-rate version of yourself, than a second-rate version of someone else."

Lance Brittain is offline Tips for better pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Elle Eff View Post
    How gorgeous! We had to have our retriever put down a few weeks ago, old age. Your photo captures your dog beautifully. I love the was his/her head is on the paw, and the way the dog's upper lip is squashed, so typical! Technically, the photo may not be perfect, but I love the photo anyway.
    Is the sky on the original really too bad? The sky on the one you first posted definitely look over-processed, but my thoughts are that the dog is so prominent, an over-exposed sky wouldn't be all that bad. Sometimes detail in the sky can be too distracting anyway. Could you please post the original for us to see?
    Thanks Jay, and I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I bet he/she had a great life. Here is the original picture of Lucy, this one is the Jpeg, but I also shot it in Raw. Like I said, I'm brand-spanking new at photography, so that also includes post processing. Also, after dropping the money on the Camera/lenses/filters/batteries/etc, I'm using free software such as: UFRaw, Gimp, and Luminance (for HDR). So I don't have the luxury yet of using Photoshop yet. I use mainly Levels, saturations, and unsharp mask in Gimp, but have been trying to learn how to use Dodge and Burn and Layers in Gimp, but so far, with little to no success. Is one of the issues with the over exposed background because I was using a F/3.5 instead of a F/8+ to have the background in focus? When I work with brightness or saturation, I'm getting halos around the trees in the background and was wondering if that was the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Equipment - Canon T2i 550D / Canon IS 18-55mm / Tamron SP 24-135mm
    Post Processing - The Gimp, UFRaw, and Luminance.

Flickr Visit my page and leave any tips!

mosgood is offline Accroches-toi a ton reve

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Brittain View Post
    Thanks Jay, and I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I bet he/she had a great life. Here is the original picture of Lucy, this one is the Jpeg, but I also shot it in Raw. Like I said, I'm brand-spanking new at photography, so that also includes post processing. Also, after dropping the money on the Camera/lenses/filters/batteries/etc, I'm using free software such as: UFRaw, Gimp, and Luminance (for HDR). So I don't have the luxury yet of using Photoshop yet. I use mainly Levels, saturations, and unsharp mask in Gimp, but have been trying to learn how to use Dodge and Burn and Layers in Gimp, but so far, with little to no success. Is one of the issues with the over exposed background because I was using a F/3.5 instead of a F/8+ to have the background in focus? When I work with brightness or saturation, I'm getting halos around the trees in the background and was wondering if that was the problem.
    Other than the distracting bit of something in the sky area, this is a much better version! Just edit out the distraction, & keep it as is.
    My cameras: 2 Nikon dSLRs, 4 lenses, + a Canon P&S
    "Photographers are the only ones who can go out and shoot something ... and bring it back alive." - Peter Blaise

Weird Girl is offline Loves Cheese!

I wanted to take on the challenge of editing your photo and wanted to share what I came up with. Still has blown out highlights but it's such a cute picture! Good luck on future photos of your dear friend
    Attached Images Attached Images

FireDawg is offline Trouble maker since 1979

I like this version. I think if you tried to bring back any detail outside of the window that it would take away from your main subject. Sometimes having blown out areas is not always a bad thing. I think it also sets the mood of the pic too. When I see it, I think of the dog sitting inside looking out the window on a bright day wishing he was outside playing.
    Canon Rebel T1I, 50mm 1.8, 55-250, 15-85, 430 EX II
    Flickr

soniboy84 is offline Sony HX9V

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawg View Post
    I like this version. I think if you tried to bring back any detail outside of the window that it would take away from your main subject. Sometimes having blown out areas is not always a bad thing. I think it also sets the mood of the pic too. When I see it, I think of the dog sitting inside looking out the window on a bright day wishing he was outside playing.
    +1.
    I had exactly the same feelings.

Lance Brittain is offline Tips for better pics?

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawg View Post
    So would you do any editing on the original at all? If so, what would you do? And thanks for the critique, it helps me learn.
    Equipment - Canon T2i 550D / Canon IS 18-55mm / Tamron SP 24-135mm
    Post Processing - The Gimp, UFRaw, and Luminance.

Flickr Visit my page and leave any tips!

FireDawg is offline Trouble maker since 1979

So would you do any editing on the original at all? If so, what would you do? And thanks for the critique, it helps me learn.
    I wouldn't do much to the original(if anything at all). I really like it as is. I think your edit made the dog and room a bit too dark in an attempt to bring back details outside of the window that weren't even there to begin with. Sometimes the slightest adjustments is all you need but I don't really have any suggestions on how to improve the original.
    Canon Rebel T1I, 50mm 1.8, 55-250, 15-85, 430 EX II
    Flickr

Jay Elle Eff is offline Photography enthusiast

I too think the original is better. Lucy is the subject in the photo, and she's exposed beautifully. I wouldn't edit it at all. Keep it up!
    My gear: Canon 60D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5, 55-250mm f/4, and 50mm f1.8.
    My website Jay Elle Eff.
    "It's better to be a first-rate version of yourself, than a second-rate version of someone else."

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last