Close
Close
    Stoogie22 is offline Pentaxian

Default Bald Eagle on a telephone pole

Driving in to work yesterday in the pouring rain, I saw a big bald eagle hanging out on a telephone pole, overlooking the lake. It was, as I said, pouring rain, and I didn't have my camera with me (of course). I've seen eagles in the area a couple times, and I drove by again today, this time with my camera in the hopes that he'd be there again.

It's not the most exciting shot, and I was somewhat limited by the fact that he's on a pole 30 feet up in the air. Also, I tried shooting from some different angles, but there was too much water and/or blackberry bushes in the way for me to try and get a shot without the wire in it.

I tried to take the rule of thirds into account, and not to have his head smack dab in the middle of the picture. I'm pretty happy with this shot, but then again, I'm a photography noob, so I don't really know what to look for. Many of the shots of eagles here have a lot more life to them, I think it's something to do with their eyes, but I have no idea what it might be, or how to capture it in my own shots.

Taken with a Pentax K-r with a Pentax FA 80-320mm, hand held
    1/640s
    F/8.0
    320mm
    ISO 200

Thanks for your feedback!

sat1971 is offline I'm new here!

Nice capture of a majestic bird in less then ideal conditions

KurtM is offline Support Public Radio

If it were mine, I'd put it in the Great Snapshots folder, though not in the Great Photographs one, because I like the focus, exposure, and head angle. (Head is a little blown out, but that's a real toughie since the body is so dark.) I'm not so sure about the body posture, and in any case, the telephone pole rig just looks awful. But if the context was meant to be how badly we're defacing the landscape, then maybe....

Getting bird pics is often a matter of waiting forever for the subject to decide to shift positions for better pose, better lighting, or whatever. Lots and lots and lots of waiting goes into really good bird photography.
    Cheers, Kurt Maurer
    Canon T3i w/ Canon 100-400mm & 15-85mm lenses
    Always okay for dps users to critique and edit my photos for instructional purposes.
    My flickr

FJH
    FJH is offline Midlife Crises Maniac

Smile

Living in Northern Kentucky, I've never seen a bald eagle in my life. I've just learned in the last year that they migrate or fly etc across Western KY on their way to wherever.

I agree with KurtM with the head being blown out but, that can be fixed reasonably. Beyond that, I wouldn't listenen to him @ all. Does he have any BALD EAGLE PHOTOS ?

The head @ 1/3 from the top = looks fine to me. Leave it. If you don't have a bunch of editing experience, let me know. I bet I can help you if you want it. There are many more people on this site that are much better than me.

Be proud & content with the exposure. I personally love it !

What are you going to do on your way to work in heavy rain with all that was going on with the weather, the enviroment, & seeing something like this ? You could just jump up to the top of the telephone poll, grab it & put the animal in a perfect setting with a perfect pose = Really.

It's cool .... I Love It !

Doug Sundseth is offline Not quite older than dirt

I suspect KurtM does have Bald Eagle photos. I know I have some and I mostly agree with him.

The angle of the shot is awkward, which makes the eagle's body look a bit odd.

The crop is a bit looser than I would prefer, and it looks like the camera is tilted to the left (so the frame is tilted to the right).

Because of the time of day this was shot, the dynamic range is higher than really works well. (Blown-out highlights and blocked up shadows.)

Keep it until you have a better shot, because it's not a bad one. But realize that better is definitely possible.

KurtM is offline Support Public Radio

Yes, I have bald eagle photos, will post a few in SYS soon since you ask, although not real sure what it has to do with anything. When you post in the critique section you ask for opinions, and I gave my opinions.

Right?
    Last edited by KurtM; 02-24-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    Cheers, Kurt Maurer
    Canon T3i w/ Canon 100-400mm & 15-85mm lenses
    Always okay for dps users to critique and edit my photos for instructional purposes.
    My flickr

Stoogie22 is offline Pentaxian

I know that better is definitely possible, that's why I posed this picture in the critique section, rather than in the SYS section Thanks for all your feedback guys. I had a chance to shoot a few more of a bald eagle last evening, and I took into account what you guys said about waiting for a more natural looking posture, and I waited so long that the sun was starting to go down. Also, I managed not to get any wires or phone poles in the shot (the hazards of being a roadside wildlife photographer )

taken once again with my pentax k-r with FA 80-320mm, hand held,
    320mm
    1/640s
    F/8.0
    ISO 800 (I think... I'll have to check)

I'm not sure about the crop on this one, but I tried to underexpose a little so that the head wouldn't be blown out. I discovered a nifty feature on my camera that makes any blown out areas flash at you, and I'm sure that if the sun ever comes out again it'll come in handy.

Where can I improve on this one?