Earlier this week, the Technical Image Press Association (TIPA) unveiled its list of 2022 World Awards winners, featuring 40 outstanding cameras, lenses, accessories, monitors, software programs, and printing services.
The World Awards, billed as “[t]he most coveted photo and imaging awards worldwide,” are conducted by TIPA members – including industry-leading magazines such as the UK’s “Photography News,” Australia’s “Camera,” and the USA’s “Digital Imaging Reporter.”
TIPA notes that “[e]ach member publication is engaged in the selection and final vote in the TIPA World Awards process to name the Best Photo and Imaging products of the year.” The vote took place on April 29, and the winners were announced on May 19th.
So what is the best photography gear of 2021-2022, according to TIPA? Here’s a detailed rundown:
TIPA’s best cameras
The past 12 months featured a handful of impressive camera launches, from the Canon EOS R3 and the Nikon Z9 to the Sony a7 IV and the Leica M11. This year’s list of winning cameras includes:
- The OM System OM-1 (Best Micro Four Thirds Camera)
- The Nikon Z9 (Best Full-Frame Professional Camera)
- The Sony a7 IV (Best Full-Frame Expert Camera)
- The Nikon Z fc (Best APS-C Camera)
- The Fujifilm GFX 50S II (Best Medium-Format Camera)
The Canon EOS R3 was given the Best Camera Innovation award, while the Leica M11 was named the Best Rangefinder Camera.
TIPA also honored several smartphones – the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 5G (Best Photo Smartphone, Expert), the Sony Xperia PRO-I (Best Photo Smartphone, Professional), and the OnePlus 10 Pro 5G (Best Photo Smartphone, Advanced) – commenting that “[o]f special note in this year’s TIPA World Awards are three new cameraphone categories, indicating the growing influence of this mode of imaging on all levels of the marketplace.”
TIPA’s best lenses
This year’s list of winning lenses features a broad range of manufacturers, from the ever-popular Nikon, Canon, and Sony to third-party brands such as Tamron, Sigma, and Laowa.
Awarded lenses include:
- Tokina atx-m 56mm f/1.4 (Best APS-C Prime Lens)
- Nikon Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S (Best Full-Frame Prime Telephoto Lens)
- Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II (Best Full-Frame Standard Zoom Lens)
- Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM (Best Macro Lens)
- Tamron 35-150mm f/2-2.8 Di III VXD (Best Travel Zoom Lens)
TIPA’s best software fand accessories
Each year sees the launch of powerful new software, and present-day photographers have more editing choices than ever; TIPA singled out Capture One 22 (Best Imaging Software, Professional), Skylum Luminar Neo (Best Imaging Software, Enthusiast), and DxO PhotoLab 5 (Best Imaging Software, Expert).
And if you’re in need of photography accessories, check out TIPA’s list of best printers, lights, tripods, and more:
- Canon PIXMA MegaTank G650/G620 (Best Photo Printer)
- Benro Induro Hydra 2 Waterproof Carbon Fiber Tripod (Best Tripod)
- ProGrade Digital CFexpress Type B 1700 Cobalt (Best Imaging Storage Media)
- Godox Macro Flash MF12 (Best Flash)
- LG 27’’ UltraFine OLED Pro 27EQ850 (Best Professional Photo Monitor)
TIPA’s World Awards winners: final words
The group of TIPA honorees is impressive – but bear in mind that plenty of amazing cameras, lenses, software programs, and accessories go unnamed each year.
So use the TIPA winners to guide your gear search, but don’t discount your favorite products simply because they didn’t receive an award!
Now over to you:
Do you agree with TIPA’s award choices? What additional equipment would you include on the list? What equipment would you delete? Share your thoughts in the comments below!