POMPIDOO BAG REVIEW
Until recently I wasn’t fully aware of the availability of such stylish camera bags for women, until I received the opportunity to review this refined camera accessory.
The Palermo Camera Bag by Pompidoo is a very stylish and functional way to carry your camera equipment to any occasion. Whether I’m out taking photos, or having a milkshake with my family, this bag plays it’s part perfectly.
When I’m out taking photos, I love the fact that this Palermo bag doesn’t look like a typical camera bag. As well as looking stylish this bag acts as a great safety function for the “Female Street Photographer” like myself, the general person on the street wouldn’t realise your carrying expensive camera equipment as it looks just like a larger style hand-bag.
First Impression was ‘Style & Quality’.
I was very impressed by how the bag was packaged when I opened the shipping carton; it was very protected. My initial impression to the Palermo Bag was quality of the leather and fixtures then the lining inside and padding.
What I Loved
1. There’s something special about handmade European leather goods. The quality of the genuine bane leather is simply beautiful and it has a pearl touch to it. The bag comes in 3 different colours, this one that I am using is Kitty Red, which I love.
2. The two carry options. The Palermo Bag has two handles to use like a carry bag or an adjustable de-attachable cross shoulder strap. The leather strap I found to be very functional and comfortable for those longer photo walks, it made it easy to distribute the weight of my equipment evenly across my back.
3. The padded main body and the 4 padded Velcro dividers to customise the bag to suit your belongings and keep them well protected. I found it to be the perfect size for my gear, as an example, the equipment for my typical outing would be – Canon 5D MarkII with a 24-70mm lens attached, external flash, 50mm lens and a Lensbaby Spark. I really like the built in padded section with a soft cloth attached to carry your ipad / tablet. The front pocket is ideal to hold camera accessories like CF Cards, cloths, and business cards along with some personal belongings such as your mobile phone, keys and even snacks for my little man ?. There really is plenty of room. There is also a zip pocket at the back, which I found perfect for a notebook to keep any notes or lists.
I need to mention that the floral material used inside this bag is beautiful.
What Could Be Improved
1. The metal feet are a perfect idea for the bag to stand upright when you place it on the ground in whatever situation or environment, however I did find that the bag would still sometimes fall forward, as if unbalanced. This didn’t happen all the time.
2. I’m not sure if this next feature actually needs to be improved, as this probably would depend on each individual using the bag. I am very fussy with my camera gear and I found when removing my camera from inside the bag, I needed to fold the zipper section back on either side of the main compartment so the zipper wouldn’t scrap along the camera body. I also found that when the zipper section is folded back, it made the top opening larger and easier to view and remove my equipment without obstruction.
Overall, I would recommend Pompidoo products to any Female Photographer who is looking for a bit of “Style, Quality & Functionality”.
Lisa Cole – Melbourne based photographer