Do You Have a Favorite Landscape Photography Destination?

Do You Have a Favorite Landscape Photography Destination?

rapeseed and the treeIs there a place that you love to go shoot landscapes?

I’d love to hear about your favourite landscape photography destinations – particularly I’d like to hear any the following:

1. where is it (give us a country/state etc – remember our audience is global so don’t assume everyone will know exactly where it is)
  2. why you like it
  3. any tips you’d give to anyone planning a trip there (time of day, places to shoot from, challenges unique to the location)
  4. share a photo you’ve taken there (share a link to your photoblog, flickr account or embed the photo if you’d like)

I’m looking forward to hearing about (and perhaps seeing) your favourite landscape locations!

Read more from our category

Darren Rowse is the editor and founder of Digital Photography School and SnapnDeals. He lives in Melbourne Australia and is also the editor of the ProBlogger Blog Tips. Follow him on Instagram, on Twitter at @digitalPS or on Google+.

Some Older Comments

• Jason April 8, 2012 10:49 am

Favorite spot? NONE

Why? Because it would get boring if I had a "go to" place to shoot my favorite shots

My favorite place to shoot is a frame of mind, not a location on a map

Jason

• Donald March 11, 2012 07:38 am

Anywhere in Southern Utah, Northern Arizona but more specifically it has to be Monument Valley and the Valley of the Gods.

• Maja March 4, 2012 03:09 am

Really nice place from Slovenia, lake Cerknica - the largest slovenian intermittent lake. It's magical in all seasons and it's great to observate how the lake "grows" and disappear.

• Claire February 25, 2012 01:29 am

I travel quite a lot and get to see great landscapes but always stuggle to capture the beauty in a photograph. They just never seem to end up looking as stunning as I remember them, so I never really post the pictures anywhere. This image is from the coast road from Cape Town to Cape Point in South Africa, looking up at the 12 Apostiles ( or at least some of them) This also happens to be my first attempt at stitching images, which I had to do get the 12 Apostiles into the same picture. I would have to say this is probably my proudest landscape image. Hope you like too ;o)

• Pam Bycraft February 22, 2012 12:17 am

Two places - radically different- White Sands National Monument and the Sacramento Mountains,both approx. a half hour from Alamogordo, New Mexico. White Sands started as a snow challenge photo assignment. Well the gypsum sand is always gleaming white. Now I go several times a year. I am never dissapointed it is always changing and I always find something new to shoot,

Our mountains are amazing what with the changing seasons, wild flowers, small streams, old and abandoned buildings abd wildlife. Weather of or in the mountains. The beauty thrills me all the time.

• Paul February 15, 2012 07:43 am

Living here in Devon, UK.... it has to be Dartmoor. Look for Dartmoor National Park in Google. Be prepared to encounter very varied weather, sometimes all within the same day. That's part of the attraction I guess. Bad weather makes for dramtic shys, go as the bad weather is breaking up for best results.

• Alexandre Sousa February 15, 2012 01:38 am

My favorite place is Seven Cities Lagoon, located in São Miguel Island, Azores Archipelago, Portugal, in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. It is a sleeping volcano crater just half an hour from my house. It's magical. Any time of the year as is charms, i prefer to go there by down, to take advantage of the morning fog. Views are great.

• Rona Simmons February 12, 2012 07:07 am

All good places. If you happen to be in the southern US, our ancient oaks, hanging moss, southern pines along lazy rivers are hard to beat

[img]

• Bill Brown February 12, 2012 04:48 am

Hi folks, my favourite spot or should i say spots is The Outer Hebrides and around the North of Scotland, evrywhere you look there is the most stunning scenery, the west coast of the hebridean islands has wild and rugged contours with white sandy beaches to equal the caribbean, the north of scotland has wild mountainous scenery on the west while over to the east is more hilly, the hills are purple with the saturated bloom of the heather during the summer.

• Ebnat Al Holm February 12, 2012 01:53 am

I liked Langkawi island in Malaysia. first, from the plane I enjoyed the view of the islands. second, i enjoyed so much the view of hills, ocean and green mountains together. then, it was amazing to see number of waterfalls in the island. How wonderful to see the waterfall from higher place (cable car) coming through the jungles?!! and forests where monkeys are playing beside you!!!. Tropical fruits are also enjoyable and great to be photographed.
    here is an example https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nature-is-the-Whispers-of-Quietness-Ebnat-Al-Holm-Photographie/161081410615912?sk=photos#!/media/set/?set=a.163992016991518.36994.161081410615912&type=3

• Kevin Peden February 11, 2012 08:26 pm

DARTMOOR, Devon, England. To be precise, the area I visit most, actually forms part of the military ranges known as Okehampton firing range. Its wet & wild most of the time and in the winter its damn cold. Its Tors (hill peaks formed from huge lumps of Granite) are spectacular and I can literally walk for many hours and not see another sole and when there is no wind (not often the case), its as quiet and eerie as a grave yard at midnight with just sheep and wild ponies to keep you company. You do have to keep an eye on the mist that can come down without warning and you lose all visibility and of course you have to watch for the RED WARNING FLAGS so that you don't stray into a live firing zone when the army are playing war games, otherwise landscapes may not be the only things being shot that day. All this is about 30min walk from my back garden by following the river Okement, also a place I spend a huge amount of time with my camera as it is only a five minutes walk down a farm track and a very shaded walk at that, with moss and fern covered trees and rocks, the trees dripping with lichen and when we've had continuous rain fall for a couple of days (happens more often than not around here) the river becomes a raging torrent. I would love to post some images, but I don't have a flicker account.

• DonSanAnto February 11, 2012 02:38 pm

my two favorite landscape areas are the grand canyon (from within) in arizona and the big bend area in west texas.

in either spot the vistas are spectacular at every turn and at night it's so black and quiet that one can hear the stars twinkle.

the routes to either of these great spots, from south Texas, are also picture worthy, especially at sunrise or sunset.

• Ginger February 11, 2012 04:51 am

I luv to recommend Yading Natural Reserve, its in the west of Sichuan Province, China. You cannot imagine how many color in one scene, just like the garden in paradise. Its really hard to get there, no direct flight, awful food, altitute stress. But once u get there, u will think everything is worthy.

• James Goneaux February 11, 2012 02:38 am

I have three, one convenient, (just down the street), one emotional (where I grew up) and the other fantastical (the paradise that is Cape Breton Island).

The first is the Scarborough Bluffs, in the east end of Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

Very easy to get to, even in winter (although my camera froze last year) as you can drive right to the beach. I love it because it can approximate "mountains", it is right on Lake Ontario (i.e, "ocean"), and there is never a bad time to shoot them: sunrise, full light, sunset, all give you dozens of options, when you combine time with place (shoot them, shoot on them, shoot them with the lake, close up on the texture, the beach...)

The second is Muskoka:

I am lucky as I grew up on 100 acres of bush (never "forest", thank you!), that backed onto a huge federally protected marsh, but even off private property, there is no shortage of great spots to shoot, from waterfalls to wildlife (although some are in a zoo setting, it isn't a regular-type zoo, very natural). Every season is different, winter is always (eventually) white, and although the tourist board would like to push the "wildness", in an area with million dollar "cottages", you aren't exactly roughing it (unless you want to).

The third is Cape Breton:

Places like Cape Breton can make poor photographers mediocre, mediocre look good, and good look great. Luckily (there's that word again) my wife's family is from the main city (Syndey), so I had an "in" to many places, but as with Muskoka, most of the beauty can be reached via public access, and there are really no friendlier people around then "Capers". Beyond the natural (the highlands are obviously a great place to start, and a little place called Gabarus is a gem, the combination of cultures is incredible: native, French, Celtic. There are still large areas that speak French, and others that speak Gaelic. Add historical recreations at Louisberg, and you'll fill a few GB cards, trust me.

• Derek Fogg February 11, 2012 02:25 am

All the fabulous locations worldwide, 63 up till the time of this comment but very few for the UK and not one for one of the best landscape photography locations in the world -Scotland. Take a look herehttp://britishlandscape.photoshelter.com/gallery-collection/Scotland/P0000mnwz6Y2WxiM

• frank February 11, 2012 02:09 am

Washington D C and the Outer Banks of North Carolina. It's very tough not to take a emotional picture at either place

• marius February 10, 2012 09:14 pm

You need too see Roumania in East of Europe with:Transfagarasan, Transalpina, Maramures, Medieval Castle(Dracuula), Medieval Monastery(Voronet), Transilvania and another......

• Samir February 10, 2012 07:48 pm

I agree with Satish. I'm from Kenya and visited South Africa for the first time in Dec 2011 and the sights were SPECTACULAR!! The whole garden Route , the Conga Caves , Chapmans Peak, the Table Mountain.......................Oh what a paradise it is-South Africa.

• paul mcpherson February 10, 2012 07:31 pm

No Contest!!!! without question the best place to take landscapes and seascapes in the hisoric north yorkshire town of Scarborough!! The very first holiday resort in the word offers fantastic vistas of the historic castle, the esplanade, olivers mount, the rse garden,the italian gardens the foreshore, the old town, peasholm park, the naval battles, the headland, north bay, south bay, the sea, views from the coronia and regal lady pleasure cruisers, the lights, the night time vistas olivers mount, st. marys church (burial place of one of the bronte sisters) the grand hotel, the old market, marine drive, west square, the harbour, the foreshore, the lights the night views, sandside the old town from land and sea. the north yorkshire moors etc etc.
    Oh and then theres scarborough fair, atlantis luna park, the lighthouse, fishing fleet all enhanced by the best cod chips ad mushy peas in the entire world to eat as you wadef around. What more could you possibly want. No I do NOT live there!

• Jody Ellis February 10, 2012 04:59 pm

I love the Columbia River Gorge, both the Oregon and Washington sides. The topography changes from gorgeous forest/waterfalls to high desert in 70 miles with wild flowers and windsurfers for good measure.

• David Haworth February 10, 2012 09:04 am

You can't beat the metropolitan coastline of Sydney for variety and drama for seascapes.

• Pippy February 10, 2012 08:32 am

Canowindra, NSW, Australia. There is beautiful sunflower fields in Windowrie Rd, set amongst vineyards, corn crops and gently undulating hills that make the scenery so picturesque. Its perfect on a partly over cast day, with clouds to play with.

• Marko February 10, 2012 06:55 am

Although it might be perceived from the link to the flickr that the place is island of Zirje, Croatia, I have to say - Plitvice Lakes, Croatia. An amazing set of lakes and waterfalls, surrounded by great nature.
    One might say all times of year: spring, summer, fall, winter. They'd be right, but my favourite is winter. The frozen lakes, semi- or fully-frozen waterfalls - just great. I encourage all to get the camera and spend a couple of days in a lake-side hotel in January or February. Not only the photographing is great, you might fall in love (again) with the significant other accompanying you, which I also encourage (from my personal experience). Hope it affects you the same way...

• mike kap February 10, 2012 06:38 am

The Canadian Rockies! People from around the world travel to them every year and I just look out my front window to see them. From wildlife to vistas to closeups of alpine flowers there is always something to photograph.

• Satish February 10, 2012 06:24 am

I live in Cape Town, South Africa and I am spoilt for choice. Being a tourist guide, I get to see the best places regularly and have the opportunity to take better/improved shots at a later date. We have close to 1000 wine estates, each offering a different view and at different times of the year. Summer and autumn are a must-see. With the vast amount of mountain ranges and coastal drives I would recommend Chapman's Peak drive overlooking Hout Bay, the 12 Apostles mountain range, Table mountain, the wheat fields along the Garden Route and Cango Caves. And that's just the beginning. There are too many sites to mention. This trip cant be taken with a tour group if you are an avid photographer, you will need more time-and justifiably so.

• Chelle Crockett February 10, 2012 06:14 am

Anywhere here on the Oregon Coast is amazing, but I really love going out to Bullards State Park, just outside of Bandon, Oregon. Here, you find a few different beach entrances, but I prefer to take myself to the complete end of the little winding road. This takes you to the historic Coquille Lighthouse, an old, broken down jetty, and a small beach where people have built a little club house out of driftwood taken from the shore. It's a really fun place with unlimited photo opportunities!!! My biggest suggestions ~ Dress warm, wear a fuzzy hat that covers your ears, and get out there for sunrise or sunset, if you can ~ There are almost always amazingly gorgeous colors out there!!! In this shot, we see the lighthouse, I am standing on a small sand hill located between the beach and the jetty, looking back towards the lighthouse as the sun rises above our sleepy little tourist town. Check it out and then come visit us sometime! You won't be disappointed! Your photographic opportunities in Bandon, Oregon are LIMITLESS!!!!

• linus February 10, 2012 05:07 am

Well there is not only one. I like the Bavarian region in Germany

and most of the islands in Greece

• John P. February 10, 2012 03:37 am

Grand Teton National Park is 30 minutes from my porch. You can get majestic scenery and wildlife shots every day of the year.

• Jo Hennessey February 10, 2012 03:32 am

My favourite is my local park, Fairlands Valley Park, Stevenage, UK, especially in Autumn/Fall. I have taken many photos there over the past few years. This is a slideshow created with Picasa from some of the autumn shots:

There is also a link to my website on there.
    Enjoy! :-)

• Mick Gardner February 10, 2012 03:19 am

For me it's got to be the Lake District - especially Patterdale - the most lovely valley of the lot.

• Iza February 9, 2012 12:34 am

I really enjoy each trip to Moab. The small town located between Arches and Canyonlands National Park offers amazing outdoors adventures in the most beautiful landscape of Southwestern US. Read the whole post on my blog with shooting tips and example images here:

• Lisa B February 8, 2012 07:07 am

I'm all about the coastline between San Francisco and Big Sur, CA. So much drama (cliffs, crashing waves, wide beaches, sometimes sun, sometimes fog) with the possibility of wildlife, too. I *will* take a photograph that represents my passion for this area, if it's the last thing I do.

More importantly, though, I'd like to know where Darren took the photo that accompanies this post. Where is that field and tree?

• k ladner February 8, 2012 04:47 am

I have several beloved locations, but some are more accessible than others.

One of the most loved, but less accessible is Point Lobos State Natural Reserve. It is on the California coast, just south of Carmel, CA, USA. I live more than half the continent away, so I don't get to go there very often. It is a sort of photographic pilgrimage site for me because my photo hero Edward Weston worked there extensively. There are many aspects of Point Lobos which make it a very rich site. These include highly diverse rock formations, trees which are incredibly contorted by the ocean winds, the Pacific Ocean and the amazing skies above it, and the tide pools at the ocean's edge. It is impossible to catalog the possibilities encountered, as something new presents itself every step or two.

Within easier reach, are several state parks in Illinois and Wisconsin. My favorite, which I have visited at least every year in the last few, is Giant City State Park, Illinois, US. It is located in far southern Illinois, which makes it about a six hour drive away. http://g.co/maps/vbh5n links to a Google Map of the location. Giant City is a few miles south of where the glaciers of the last Ice Age stopped. Because of this it has huge sandstone formations and bluffs, eroded by wind, water, and freezing, but not ground down by glaciers. These formations gave rise to the name, as there are many narrow "streets" between high vertical stone walls. As you hike around the various trails you realize that the trees have an endless struggle to hang on in the thin, very rocky soil. They grow fantastic root formations to buttress and support themselves, and very long roots which seek for more nourishment. This is also a fantastic habitat for lichens and mosses, because it is far from major pollution sources which would damage these delicate growths.

Other photographically fascinating aspects are the many springs, seeps, drips, and creeks. These run over many-layered rock beds and offer endless opportunities for shooting.

We are already planning a trip there this spring. We've been there once in mid-April when the trees were bare except for the flowering Redbud, Dogwood, and Plum trees. Last spring we were there in early May, and the woods were in new, pale green leaf. We are hoping to split the difference this time, seeking those magical moments of transition between the seasons.

Albums from past years can be seen here:
    http://jalbum.net/en/browse/user/album/1097629/ and here:

• shedra February 8, 2012 12:48 am

One of my favorite places would have to be Reelfoot Lake in the far uppermost northwest corner of the state of Tennessee...

Reelfoot Lake is just a stones throw (literally) from the town of Tiptonville, TN (which is also considered to be Reelfoot Lake also.) and the Mississippi River is just over the levee from Tiptonville.

Anywhere in this area is great for photographing wildlife (most popular are the eagles that are here between November and the latter part of February every year) but there are some that stay year round.

My favorite photograph subjects are the the sunrises and the sunsets... No matter what time of the year you go, you can get great sunrise shots with trees, ducks, osprey, geese (both Snows and Canadian in winter). and the water in the same view. The trees are Cypress.

And my most favorites are the sunsets also with the waterfowl and water and cypress trees in the picture.

I have several landscape photos in my albums on my website. I am by no means a great photographer....but I know what I like...and photography is a passion with me......I try hard. :)

Here is one I took on Groundhog day.. I don't Photoshop my photos, so, what you see is what I saw when I snapped the shutter.

• Olafur February 7, 2012 10:27 pm

Raufarhöfn iceland.

• ArtsyPhotos February 7, 2012 07:59 am

I love this small Midwest town in the US (City - La Crosse / State - Wisconsin)

It has an abundance of nature (the Mississippi flows through this city) and an amazing number of trails, bluffs etc which is a nature/landscape photographer's paradise.

Summers are a great time to visit it since you can get around to a lot of areas. Winters can be a little wicked but for the brave who venture out there is a lot of reward for them as well.

Here are some pics from summer from my PhotoBlog - http://www.ArtsyPhotos.com/#Myrick

Here are a few from Winters:

• Willy Tinoyan February 7, 2012 12:41 am

The northwestern part of the Philippines is one of the most photogenic places I have ever seen. The two provinces of Ilocos, (Norte and Sur) are popular tourists destinations and one would never get tired of coming back to that area shooting stunning landscapes, vibrant sunsets, interesting subjects; not to mention warm people and food worthy to taste.

Here are some shots we got last time we visited the place.

• Jen February 7, 2012 12:03 am

Without a doubt, my favorite landscape to shoot is, well, anywhere in Northern Ireland, really. But specifically, the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge in Ballintoy. Shooting FROM the bridge isn't usually possible, as it's very windy and you're clinging to a rope bridge. But the views from the rocky island across from it are spectacular. Here is one of my favorite shots from a 2009 trip; you can see the bridge along the left and the breathtaking scenery beyond. This was at sunset in October - we were the last people to gain admission for the day.

• Hocam February 6, 2012 11:34 pm

It is so hard to choose. Cappadocia in central Turkey because of the amazing landscape and my second choice would be the west of Ireland because of the constantly changing light

• Paul G February 6, 2012 09:39 pm

I don't have one favourite location, I have a number of favourites and I'm still looking for more. However I do tend to take more photos in my local area than anywhere else as it's so close to hand. I'm very fortunate to live in close proximity to the Wye Valley in South-East Wales, an area designated as an area of outstanding natural beauty. I'm drawn back to one spot time and time again to capture it in each season which makes me think about composition and using the available light.

I have recently stumbled upon a new website called Map My Photo to help scout out useful locations here in the UK - it's worth a look

• OnyxE February 6, 2012 01:19 pm

I am an amateur and none of my photos compare to what I looked at from other people here, but my favorite place is locally at Vanier Park in Vancouver, BC. It has two ponds and is also right on the ocean with mountains in the distance, sometimes boats and ships, and can be totally different with a change in time of day, weather, and season. This photo was taken on a misty day that hid the ocean and mountains. Normally there are also a lot of our resident ducks and Canada geese, my favorite subject, here too.

• Michelle February 6, 2012 08:01 am

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, is fantastic! Blue sky, beautiful beaches, mountains and a lot of green! I always carry a camera with me, because sometimes you can get wonderful shots in a different angle, or in a different time of the day.

• Robert Gabriel February 6, 2012 07:07 am

Venice, Venice, Venice ... http://www.robertgabriel.eu/?p=1

• Bob February 6, 2012 05:11 am

Central California coastline and hills between San Francisco and the Monterey Bay. Come in the early morning and late afternoon and evening. Check the surf reports and tide tables for interesting variations.

• Barbara February 6, 2012 05:06 am

My favorite landscape photography destination is Death Valley National Park in the state of California, USA. My husband and I never tire of this large and varied national park. There are so many different kinds of landscapes here, including incredible rock formations, sand dunes, ghost towns, natural springs . . . the list goes on and on. This is routinely one of the hottest places in the entire United States during the summer months, and so the best time to visit is in the fall, winter, and early spring. Here is my image of the iconic Zabriskie Point.

• Steve Ryan February 6, 2012 04:58 am

Alabama Hills outside of Lone Pine CA offers a spectacular backdrop of Mt. Whitney (14,000+) and colorful granite rocks used in countless movies. Morning offers a stunning sunrise as the morning light creeps down the rock faces to the valley floor. Rock arches abound for special shots. You are only about 10mins from the motel to be in a perfect position to photograph. An added bonus are the ancient Bristlecone pines in the White Mts. about an hour away.

• Nephron129 February 6, 2012 04:20 am

My favorite destination is Karpathos, Greece. It is an island between Crete and Rhodes in the southeastern Aegean Sea. I like it because my family is from there but, photographically speaking, it is a particularly majestic place. The mountains seemingly rise out of the crystal clear Aegean.

The biggest challenge for the traveler is actually getting there. In the summer, there are one or two flights a day from Athens. There are some connecting flights through Rhodes. Ferry boats arrive twice a week only. It is more touristy now than 20 years ago but still less so than the bigger destinations of Rhodes, Mykonos and Ios.

Here is a sample: http://flickr.com/gp/nephron129/NF8e53

Here is an article about this island from the WSJ: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704206804575468071090299814.html

• Rex Boggs February 6, 2012 04:17 am

Darren, this is going to cost me money :-).
    The piers of California are my favourite places to take photos - are they considerd landscapes?. Here is a photo of Crystal Pier.

• Ben February 6, 2012 03:33 am

I'd say with its rolling terrain and lush forests, I really enjoy the landscapes of my home state, West Virginia. The many hills and mostly untouched forests make for really great photographs. I'd say the best time to visit is in the spring when the wildflowers start to bloom or in autumn when the leaves all change color. Also, the sunrises and sunsets are really beautiful in WV.

Ben
    obenxjaminx@gmail.com
    wildwestvirginia.wordpress.com/2012/01/14/a-look-to-the-future

• Steve February 6, 2012 03:00 am

I too like Zion and Bryce - if you ever have an opportunity to travel through the US Southwest, it will take your breath away. But my favorite is right outside my window, San Francisco Bay.

• Nelson J February 6, 2012 02:51 am

Kauai, Hawaii is absolute favorite place to shoot landscapes. Views are amazing, food is great and there is just something about Hawaii that is spiritual.

• Jeff E Jensen February 6, 2012 12:22 am

Valley of Fire State Park, just outside of Las Vegas Nevada is one of my favorite places. The views are absolutely amazing and there are a thousand images to be made. Sunrise is an amazing experience with the sun creeping up and painting the red rocks. I don't know that I'll ever get tired of shooting there.

• Star Greathouse February 5, 2012 11:41 pm

My husband and I drive around our area (NY Finger Lakes) every Sunday morning. Yes, we are those "Sunday drivers". I shoot a lot of landscapes. There isn't one place. A field that ordinarily seemed common place can be transformed by snow, a sunrise, a herd of deer. So my favorite place is where ever I find the shot. Here is a shot of Filmore Glen in Moravia, NY more of a portrait of my favorite touring machine. https://picasaweb.google.com/112828284438224584996/365Pics#5672238204045601458

• Michael O'Connell February 5, 2012 11:38 pm

I like to shoot in my home county of Galway in the west of Ireland. My website Galway Photographs Site features some.

• Bharat Justa February 5, 2012 09:40 pm

My favourite landscape photography destination is Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India. All of the landscapes in my photoblog have been shot there. http://thisisbjaysblog.blogspot.com/
    Himachal Pradesh, India is a very good place for landscape photography and also for tourism.

• Nation February 5, 2012 09:35 pm

My favorite would be a night time view of the seattle skyline. From any spot. It's really just amazing to say the least!

• Mohammed Arnous February 5, 2012 08:18 pm

My favorite place is Alexandria, in Egypt. Specially, its beach and sky.

I like this shot :

My Facebook FanPage :

• PetrK February 5, 2012 07:08 pm

My favorite place is the water reservoir Starý rybník (Old Pond) in Ore Mountains (Czech Republic). My photoblog from this place: http://staryrybnik.blogspot.com/

• Sally W February 5, 2012 06:37 pm

My favorite place is the Ottawa Wildlife Refuge on the shores of Lake Erie in Ohio, USA (between Toledo and Cleveland). The beach used to be a public swimming area, but is now just a wildlife area. The area has a lot of wildlife (all kinds of birds, deer, foxes, etc). And the beach is a great place to get a sunset. http://flic.kr/p/4Vesvk

• Steve February 5, 2012 06:31 pm

The Drakensbergs South Africa.
    The best time is in their Spring (Oct/Nov) when the colors start to come through.
    You get some great landcapes as you aspproach.

And then some incredible views from the top (best on a clear day - golden hour)

• Mridula February 5, 2012 05:40 pm

The great big Himalayas.

• George February 5, 2012 04:36 pm

Sedona, AZ USA
    The sky is so blue people often think its manipulated in PS, The earth is a rusty red color.
    It's the most amazing place to shoot landscapes.

• Dave February 5, 2012 04:17 pm

One? It's so difficult to pick just one from so many beautiful spots, but I'll nominate Grand Teton National Park. It gave me beautiful reflections across Jenny Lake at sunrise like this one, and gorgeous reflections across Lake Jackson a few hours later like this one, and several other lovely shots in one pretty day that you can see in this Flikr set.

• Doug Sundseth February 5, 2012 02:41 pm

I'll second Bryce Canyon NP, but more broadly southern and eastern Utah in the US is absolutely amazing. In addition to Bryce, there's Zion NP, Canyonlands NP, Arches NP, Capitol Reef NP, Natural Bridges National Monument, Grand Staircase Escalante NM, Canyons of the Ancients NM, Monument Valley Tribal Park (mostly in Northern AZ, and Colorado NM just over the state line into Colorado.

Rather than linking to a single photo (no single photo could do justice to the area), I'll point to a Photo Collection on Flickr. Sorry I'm not being more specific.

For photography, you'll need to be prepared for the desert: Quite hot and very dry in summer, cold and windy and dry in the winter. Many of the best sites need hiking to get to, and you need to understand how to hike in desert mountains in order to be safe.

It's not a day trip area, since there's not much near there, but it's an amazing place for a week or a month.

• Allie February 5, 2012 02:02 pm

I thought of one other great place for landscape photography, at least for the adventurous traveler: Kosrae, Micronesia. If you ever go, the one picture you are required to take is of the Sleeping Lady - after all, the island is nicknamed "The Home of the Sleeping Lady". You can see her from the bridge between the main island and Lelu Island - she's hard to miss. In order to get the best vantage point, either go out onto the peninsula from the bridge, or take a boat out on to the water. I was in Kosrae for about a week and took close to 100 shots, all from different PoVs, times of day, etc. Here's one example:

The rest of Kosrae is beautiful too for landscapes, but taking pictures of the Sleeping Lady was by far my favorite.

• raghavendra February 5, 2012 01:18 pm

favorite landscape is a good topic.
    Nature unveiling the beauty through landscape is the best

• Rob B. February 5, 2012 12:12 pm

Ricketts Glen State Park in Pennsylvania. Home to 24 waterfalls.. Here is one of them.

• Allie February 5, 2012 10:59 am

Southwestern Wisconsin in the USA - all of the farms out there. I've only driven through it once on accident, but I happened to get this shot (end of Feb/beginning of March or so). I'd like to go back in the next few weeks and scope out the area more.

• Riff Renton February 5, 2012 09:41 am

The roof of the world,Everest.
    I will climb and shoot it before my time.

• Matt February 5, 2012 09:34 am

Rural southern italy - plenty of hilly fields. Early summer until autumn.
    As the landscape offers little details, i favor days with big puffy clouds: they cast interesting shadows on the fields patterns.
    As in: http://www.flickr.com/photos/likearollingstone/5146688656/in/photostream/lightbox/

• Rick February 5, 2012 09:25 am

Here's my favorite spot, only ~30 minutes from my house. I didn't take this photo, but it's the best one I've seen from this location:

• Lori Burrows February 5, 2012 09:11 am

Tampa Florida and Sanibel Island. I am going there very soon and working with a pro for a day and hoping to get some great landscapes. Love the ocean and beaches also the sunrise and sunset.

• Scottc February 5, 2012 09:08 am

There were a few great view points within a few minutes waking distance of our home in Germany. I've spent time there at all hours of the day. We've since moved, I've got a new place in mind but have yet to try it.

• Limitedxposure February 5, 2012 08:57 am

I would have to say France. So many different kinds of landscapes from the South of France into the mountains into wine country. I just came back from a tour in September ... here are the articles:

France Travel Posts

• MikeC366 February 5, 2012 08:35 am

Hi Folks,
    This is my favourite place. It's just amazing. It's the only place in the world where I can go, be totally alone. I'll lie on my back in the heather, just under the rocks. The sun will warm my face, and just for one moment I'm at peace. It's just me and the sun. It's rare that I smile. Life has dealt me that one, but on occasion, it shows me just what it could be like.

Here is a link to my blog with a couple of shots:

The place is called Salt Cellar Boulder. It sits in the Peak District in England, just above Ladybower Reservoir.
    It you wish to know exactly, open Google maps and copy & paste the following in: 53.396341,-1.703514

All I ask, is that should you be up there one day, and you see someone lying on their back, in the heather, with the sun and smile on his face, just leave him be ;-)

Mike.

• Melli February 5, 2012 07:35 am

I consider myself lucky enough to live in a beautiful town in Germany - Leipzig, my hometown. Not too far from the city center there is beautiful park (Rosental)/ forest (Auewald)- so quite in the center of the city you suddenly have a a place of peace and quiet, to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

I took this image of this majestic about 130 year old oak tree in the park: http://mellimage.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-town-shining-through.html

For other images of my town (and from the park, follow the link: http://mellimage.blogspot.com/search/label/Leipzig

• Danny February 5, 2012 07:14 am

I spent a week in Bryce Canyon National Park in Southern Utah, U.S.... I can't wait to go back as the opportunities are endless... With the trail system you can photograph from above, level and below the beautiful and fascitating geography.... And the light is always changing....Its a must if you are ever in the area..

• Wayne February 5, 2012 06:53 am

I like Ringing Rocks Park in Upper Black Eddy, Bucks County, PA, US. It has an unusual boulder field and you can tap the 'rocks' with a hammer to produce a unique ringing sound, hence the name of the park.

It's also home to the highest waterfall in Bucks County, which I have captured in the following post on my blog.

If you visit, bring a hammer. If you want to photograph the waterfalls, be prepared to climb down a fairly steep bank with large rocks, some of which are wet and a bit slippery. As far as the photography side, bring a monopod as it can double as a walking stick. A wide angle zoom with a 4X ND filter and a CP filter will be a good combo. I recommend TPE to predict the light.

• My Camera World February 5, 2012 06:34 am

Since I',m spending winters in San Miguel de Allende in Mexico I would have to state that this is a very colorful, bright and vibrant town. Not only is the town visually stunning, the people are simply wonderful. A very large population of English speaking expats, but this is not a standard tourist town. They don't take American money, only pesos.

This town is known for its diverse artistic community. I

I have a set on Flckr about San Miguel. See link below.

Flickr sets

Niels Henriksen

• Janelle Dudzic February 5, 2012 06:28 am

My favorite landscape location is Alberta Canada. Each summer the canola fields provide spectacular views, while in the summer as the crops are harvested vast patterns form in waves. In the winter the large expanses of snow are breath taking.

• John February 5, 2012 06:14 am

Stony Brook in Norfolk MA USA which is about 45 minutes outside of Boston. It's an awesome little place to take some Nature/Wildlife photos.

However, it is pretty small so don't expect to make all that much out of it, but there are some cool perspectives and a TON of wildlife. As far as time of day I'd say just after sunrise or before sunset would be ideal. You're going to get the peak hours for wildlife and of course the best light.

They have these boardwalks that walk you out into the middle of the marshlands and in the summer you're able to see some giant snapping turtles come right up to the edge.

I took this Sunset shot about a week ago - One of my favorite captures thus far - Hope you like it! http://www.phogropathy.com/sunset-over-the-boardwalk/

• David February 5, 2012 06:13 am

There is a jetty about 10 mins from me at Oxford Island, County Armagh, Northern Ireland. If I ever get a new piece of kit then Oxford Island receives a visit. It is perfect for long exposures on Lough Erne.
    http://www.flixelpix.com/featured/long-exposure-jetty/ shows the old jetty just behind the Discovery Centre.