In this video by DIY FixMan, you’ll learn a cool, easy way to make a DIY photography softbox!
Materials and tools
What you will need to make your own DIY Photography Softbox:
- A lamp
- A cardboard box
- Hot glue
- Aluminum foil
- Spray Paint (optional)
- an hour of your time
Steps to making your DIY Photography Softbox
- Cut out your cardboard to a size that will fit your lamp.
- Ensure you cut the angles of the sides so they are the same so that they will piece together.
- Get your foil and cut it to the size of your cardboard pieces (use your cardboard as a template to trace around.
- Attach your foil to the individual pieces of cardboard. Masking tape works fine for this.
- Attach one of the longest sides to a short side using the hot glue gun. Then attach the other sides – holding in place until set.
- Once set, take your lightbox frame to a well-ventilated area and use your spray paint to paint it.
- Once dry, fix in your long lamp.
- Attach to a stand using a bracket.
Editors Note: You could also cut a piece of white material and attach it to the front of the softbox with velcro so you can diffuse the light.
You may also find the following helpful:
- Try this DIY Neutral Density Filter for Long Exposure Photos
- DIY Photography Backlighting for Beginners
- How to Make a DIY Lens Hood to Eliminate Lens Flare
- How to Make Easy and Affordable DIY Food Photography Backdrops
- How to Make Your Own DIY Light Box with Tape, Paper and a Window