- Guaranteed for 2 full months
- Pay by PayPal or Credit Card
- Instant Digital Download
DPS offers a free weekly newsletter with:
1. new photography tutorials and tips
2. latest photography assignments
3. photo competitions and prizes
Thanks for subscribing!
I remember when I bought my first plastic camera that was “sealed” so that I could take it swimming. I also remember, to my horror, opening the back of the camera to take the film out and water running out onto the kitchen table! Well, I don’t think that will be happening with this new Olympus µ TOUGH-8000.
Billed as “Hard as Nails” Waterproof to ten meters, shock proof, freeze proof and crush proof! This sounds like one very tough little camera! I emailed Olympus today to see if we could get hold of one for our very own evaluation – Watch this space!
The Olympus µ TOUGH-8000 – main features:
• Shooting in toughest situations – shockproof to 2m**, waterproof to 10m***, crushproof to 100kg**** and freezeproof to -10°C
• Available in Platinum Silver, Midnight Black or Steel Blue
• High-precision 3.6x wide optical zoom (28-102mm*) to capture great scenes through to stunning close-ups even in extreme conditions
• Avoids camera shake and blurry images thanks to Dual Image Stabilisation (combines mechanical and digital image stabilisation)
• TAP Control Menu for great convenience also when wearing gloves
• 12 Megapixels to make poster-size prints if you want to
• 6.9cm/2.7″ HyperCrystal III LCD for best ever preview even in brilliant sunlight and at extreme angles (230,000 dots)
• Face Detection for perfectly focused and exposed faces. In combination with Shadow Adjustment Technology, other main parts of the picture are also correctly exposed.
• The easy way to perfect images – Intelligent Auto Mode detects the five most commonly used scenes and adjusts settings, focus and exposure automatically
• Easy checking of air and water pressure thanks to on-screen manometer
• LED illuminator to lighten up underwater or macro sceneries
• Liven up your memories with movie recording with sound
(up to VGA resolution at 30fps)
• xD-Picture Card and microSD Card compatible
Tough by name, tough by nature
The Olympus µ TOUGH-8000 & µ TOUGH-6000
London, 7 January 2009 – Olympus’ unique range of waterproof, shockproof and freezeproof TOUGH cameras has grown with the addition of the 12 Megapixel µ TOUGH-8000 and the 10 Megapixel µ TOUGH-6000. Both models feature 3.6x wide zoom lenses, starting a 28mm* great for taking awesome wide-angle photos of rugged terrain and for zooming in on the distant bits that you can’t get to! Blur caused by camera shake is virtually eradicated on the two new TOUGHS, thanks to Dual Image Stabilisation. Olympus are especially proud to have achieved this feat since the Tough range have floating CCD’s which enable them to be drop proof but which makes mechanical stabilisation a real challenge! Both cameras feature TAP Control so they can be operated by simply tapping on their casings – very handy if you’re wearing ski gloves. The µ TOUGH-8000 and µ TOUGH-6000 let you take extremely good photos in extreme conditions, and enjoy the experience. They will be available mid-January and early February respectively and retail for around £290 and £350.
The new top-of-the-range µ TOUGH-8000, is hard as nails and perfect for those who want to push things to their limits. It’s waterproof to 10m***, shockproof to falls from up to 2m**, freezeproof down to temperatures as low as -10°C and crushproof to weights of up to 100kg****. Fellow newcomer, the µ TOUGH-6000 is no wimp either. As well as being freezeproof, this model is waterproof to 3m*** and impervious to drops from up to 1.5m**.
Both models inherit the versatile 3.6x wide optical zoom first seen on the EISA Award winning Olympus µ 1030 SW. Starting at 28mm* wide-angle, fantastic for landscapes and architectural photos, this lens zooms up to a useful 102mm*, which is ideal for concentrating on more distant subjects. And Dual Image Stabilisation significantly reduces image blur caused by camera shake, even when the µ TOUGH-8000 and µ TOUGH-6000 are being used in challenging situations, such as being buffeted by the waves.
Being tough doesn’t mean that the new models aren’t sensitive. The µ TOUGH-8000 and µ TOUGH-6000 are packed with features that make beautiful photos a cert. And, with 12 and 10 Megapixels resolution respectively, results can be enlarged as big as you wish. Capable of recognising up to 3 faces, the µ TOUGH-8000’s Face Detection Technology guarantees that human subjects are always perfectly focused and exposed. The µ TOUGH-6000, which boasts Advanced Face Detection Technology, goes one better and can detect up to 16 faces. It also has a handy Smile Shot feature which automatically takes the picture as soon as the subject smiles and, for even happier results, Beauty Mode can retouch their skin as the shot is being taken, removing lines and wrinkles for a smooth glowing complexion.
To further improve picture quality Shadow Adjustment Technology has been included to boost shadow detail that would otherwise be lost. And for the ultimate in photography convenience, Intelligent Auto Mode analyses the image being photographed and matches it to one of five commonly-used scene modes, automatically selecting the best choice.
As an alternative to the intuitive on-screen menus displayed on their 6.9cm/2.7” HyperCrystal III LCD screens, the µ TOUGH-8000 and µ TOUGH-6000 also feature Tap Control. This allows fast access to a range of settings simply by tapping the camera body – even when wearing gloves, such as when skiiing.
The µ TOUGH-8000 and µ TOUGH-6000 are waterproof, shockproof and freezeproof, and available in a range of great colours – so picking the right one might prove tough too! Expect to see them in UK stores in mid-January and early February 2009 respectively.
* Equivalent to a 35mm camera
** Equivalent to MIL Standard (Olympus test conditions)
*** According to IEC standard publication 529 IPX8
**** According to Olympus test conditions
microSD is a trademark of SD Card Association