Close
Close
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
    trvl_girl is offline I'm new here!

Default Difference between shooting in AF or MF??

Hi everyone, I'm a new Canon Rebel Xsi user and am trying like everyone else, to teach myself. Tired of the point and shoot cameras.

One question I have is: I am shooting with a 50mm 1.8 canon lens. Can someone explain to me the difference of shooting with the the lens in AF vs. MF? Again, being NEW, and wanting to learn to shoot in manual, I guess I figured I need to have my lens on the MF setting. I'm sure I'm so wrong here, but if someone doesn't mind explaining it to me and how and why I'd use each one, please feel free. (That is, after you stop laughing at my question.)

autofocus is online now I'm old here...

Quote Originally Posted by trvl_girl View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm a new Canon Rebel Xsi user and am trying like everyone else, to teach myself. Tired of the point and shoot cameras.

One question I have is: I am shooting with a 50mm 1.8 canon lens. Can someone explain to me the difference of shooting with the the lens in AF vs. MF? Again, being NEW, and wanting to learn to shoot in manual, I guess I figured I need to have my lens on the MF setting. I'm sure I'm so wrong here, but if someone doesn't mind explaining it to me and how and why I'd use each one, please feel free. (That is, after you stop laughing at my question.)

Personally, I shoot mostly (99%) in auto focus mode. It's not only faster, but lends itself much better to moving targets, like kids or pets. The only time you may want to switch to manual is when the camera is struggling to focus in auto focus mode. Very low light might be those times, or when the camera cannot find a specific thing to focus on. More often than not, the camera will focus fine...just be aware of what it's focusing on. If you're shooting in the full auto mode (green box) make sure one of the focus points is on the subject, particularly the eyes in portrait work. If you shoot in one of the creative modes as in aperture, shutter, program, or manual modes you can dial in the focus point to where you want it. This way you have pretty good assurance that your subject will be in focus, and not your neighbor's car in the background. Many people will also use the center focus point only while holding the shutter half way down, recomposing the shot in the view finder, and then completing the shot by pressing the shutter the rest of the way. However, I prefer the former method of dialing in the focus point, but that'll be your choice. Hope this helps

Vinnie
    Vince "...the law of unintended consequences, sometimes, you get a truly memorable photograph"
    Gear: Canon G2, Canon 20D, Nikon D300...bunch of lenses
    My Flickr
    www.montalbanophotography.com

Sime is offline Must. Get. Coffee. Quick.

Hi, Welcome...

Let's start with this... MANUAL mode on your camera, and MANUAL FOCUS mode on your lens - they're two different things.

Now, I think rather than throw you right into MANUAL mode, unless that's really what you want - and you certainly don't get looked down on for trying auto mode in this here forum... I'd start with the P mode on your camera and the AF mode on your lens.

That means that you still have control over what your camera does, but that your lens automatically focuses on stuff - you don't have to worry about manually focusing and setting the camera settings...

Does that make a little more sense?

Sime

Wouldn't shooting in P mode be kind of cheating? I want to learn to shoot in manual and am having a tough time, making my head understand aperture, shutter speed and ISO all at the same time.

Maybe I should try the AV mode, because the toughest thing I have issues with is the shutter speed.

But, if I do that, will that hamper my learning of how to shoot fully in manual?

I'm new with a ton of questions and if you don't mind me asking....

Thanks tons: Kim

autofocus is online now I'm old here...

Quote Originally Posted by trvl_girl View Post
    Wouldn't shooting in P mode be kind of cheating? I want to learn to shoot in manual and am having a tough time, making my head understand aperture, shutter speed and ISO all at the same time.

Maybe I should try the AV mode, because the toughest thing I have issues with is the shutter speed.

But, if I do that, will that hamper my learning of how to shoot fully in manual?

I'm new with a ton of questions and if you don't mind me asking....

Thanks tons: Kim
    Kim, let's start slowly...learn some of the basics first. Before you jump into manual mode learn the camera...get comfortable with it. "P" or program mode gives you some control over the camera's fully auto mode (green box mode) In P mode, you can make changes to your ISO, your exposure values (EV) your exposure modes, and how and where the camera focuses, etc. Next, play with aperture mode, and remember, as you make changes to the aperture setting the camera will automatically be making adjustments to your shutter speed. Try shutter priority mode..once again, changes to the shutter speed will also make the camera make changes to your aperture. You might say all of these modes are semi-automatic...you change one thing and the camera changes the rest. Once you learn how, and when to deal with these modes, then it might be time to go full manual...Lastly READ YOUR MANUAL, and then read it again so that you'll get a better understanding of all the features on your camera.

Vinnie
    Vince "...the law of unintended consequences, sometimes, you get a truly memorable photograph"
    Gear: Canon G2, Canon 20D, Nikon D300...bunch of lenses
    My Flickr
    www.montalbanophotography.com

Okay, I get your point. I really want to try to learn in Manual, as I think doing a program mode will be a handicap to me. (I'm anal and want to learn from scratch, not have the camera do the work for me)

BUT, I think I will try the AV mode for the week, as it sets the shutter speed for me and that's what I am having issues with.

If anyone wants to be my tutor, pipe up. I'm ready to learn, grasp things rather easily and can be pretty funny at times too!

My main reason for wanting to learn is so I can capture amazing moments in life with my children and capture their story forever.

Thanks for all your help so far. I appreciate it

Sterling is offline dPS +1000 Club

I think using P, Av, and Tv and paying attention to what happens to the other setting when you change either the shutter speed or aperture would go a long way in learning how those relate to each other. There's cold, undeniable logic in how they operate together. Starting off with M will just lead to a long period of trial and error, IMO.

teaking is offline dPS Forum Member

The people posting in this topic are trying to help not hinder you and I believe they are right in what they say, from my own experience Manual is a lot to take in a solid understanding of AV TV and P modes will help no end so when you come to manual and you need depth of field you know how the shutter speeds will change with the aperture and the reverse when you need shutter speed.

And there have been many a shot I have made hard and longer for my self trying to do it in manual mode when P would of gotten quicker and the same results... and in the end more shots from my time.

If you do go ahead to full manual I will say one thing learn your metering modes and how your light meter work as this will help you with exposing difficult scenes.
    You cant fool all of the people all of the time, some of the time all of the people will some of time but not all of the time as some of the time all of the people will some of the time but all of the people will not all of the time !!

wulf is offline Ninja Moderator

I shoot in manual mode (taking control over ISO, aperture and shutter speed) with manual focus on my lens 99% of the time. However, I spent the first few months of my time with a DSLR using other modes on the camera and autofocus on the lens.

When I felt fairly competent at using the other modes, I then set up a static scene at home and took a series of photographs using manual mode and experimenting with the different combinations that would give a decent exposure. After that I began to use manual mode more, accelerated by getting my wonderful 50mm lens (which doesn't work with auto-anything).

Don't feel that you're behind the curve if you are still shooting in aperture or shutter priority mode a couple of months into having a DSLR, let alone a week!

Wulf
    Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
    Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

RLucas is offline Looking for something

trvl_girl, I feel your pain. I have shot in manual mode from day one. I am one of those anal types that have to do everything myself as well. It may or may not have been a hindrance to my learning, but it is just how I do it.
    I am not saying you haven't been given good advice, as from what I have read, everyone is correct. I am just saying you are not alone.
    I would suggest you do a lot of reading, especially the exposure triangle articles.

I do agree with Sterling about using the Av and Tv modes as a learning tool to see the changes your camera makes to compensate for the changes you make. Just don't use it as a crutch.
    Good luck and happy shooting!
    Luke

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last