Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    krenka is offline dPS Forum Member

Default The secret to magical natural light

I'm a huge fan of natural light photography - for me nothing can quite capture the mood and tones of sunlight. Here's my simple tip to getting the most out of it:

1. Shoot when the sun is at its lowest - just after sunrise or just before sunset are best. I will try to time my shoots around these times so that I can get the best light possible. When shooting weddings, I try to get the party in the nicest location at that time.
    2. Shoot into the sun. This is key for beautiful sparkly creamy bokeh in the background. To do this it's best to shoot in manual and expose for the couple's faces. I usually fire a couple of shots before getting the exposure right.
    3. Decide where to shoot from. If you're wanting hazy dreamy shots, shoot from a position where the sunlight is directly hitting the camera. Focusing can be a bit tricky in this situation - I tend to put my hand in front of the sun so that I can auto focus on the subject and then pull it out of the way to shoot. If you're wanting higher contrast shots, shoot from a position where your camera is in shadows.

And that's it! Below are a few examples of putting the technique in action for some fun, colourful shots
    Attached Images Attached Images

OfficialSilky is offline I'm new here!

I love natural light too.. i took this with the sun in shot

michaelkrtikos is offline dPS Forum Member

How do you set the settings for these shots? I always get a black subject! Then i have to recompose with different settings and merge the 2 pictures in Photoshop which takes very long time with mask layers, curves, levels adjustmets etc etc...

Could you please share your trick?
    My portfolio: http://kmphotography.eu visit for 2D and 3D galleries*
    Forums: http://kmphotography.eu/forum

*(requires a 3D monitor or 3DTV)

MelSpring is offline Just me and my Nikon D700

Quote Originally Posted by michaelkrtikos View Post
    How do you set the settings for these shots? I always get a black subject! Then i have to recompose with different settings and merge the 2 pictures in Photoshop which takes very long time with mask layers, curves, levels adjustmets etc etc...

Could you please share your trick?

Are you shooting in manual mode or automatic?

Darren C is offline Used to be shruggy63

To get shots like this I'd set ISO as low as possible & if your camera has any dynamic range extension settings then put them at their highest. Then set both focus & exposure to a centre spot.
    Then take the shot by putting your main subject central, press the shutter button halfway to get the right exposure/focus, then re-compose & fully press the button. It sounds complicated but with a few practice shots you'll find it easy.
    I personally like AV mode for these shots to make it quick & easy to keep the aperture at F2.8-5.6 for nice background blur.

CloverLynn is offline I'm new here!

I shoot in manual. I'd love to know what setting you used.

PixelGun is offline Focal Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by CloverLynn View Post
    there are no magic settings in manual mode. Every camera is different, environments vary as well as the weather conditions.

Low ISO
    Open up the aperture
    shoot into the direction of the sun
    spot metering

I like to increase the exposure compensation on my cameras to get the effects I like when shooting for this effect.

Narshada is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by CloverLynn View Post
    I'd say spot metering is key here. If you're using evaluative, the camera will try to average out the scene, which probably won't be what you want. If you use spot metering, you're telling the camera to ignore most of the lighting information in the scene, (i.e. the bright sky,) and only use the lighting info from a small spot around the focus point, usually the centre one unless you've set it manually. Then if you take a metering from your subject - normally a midtone on their face - the camera will use that info to expose for the subject & not the sky. In that instance, the subject should be correctly exposed, but you will find the sky may be blown out. There are a few things you can do to help, such as play with a higher shutter speed while keeping ISO & aperture the same, but sometimes it's a choice of what you want exposed correctly, which is generally your subject.
    Hope this helps.

D Allen Martin is offline I'm new here!

Default blacked out subjects

michaelkrtikos; Getting the right distance from the subject and using fill flash will prevent you from getting silhouettes. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

LaurynG is offline I'm new here!

Love shooting at sunset!! These are great images. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last