Close
Close
    vitalygeyman is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Tree Photography Tips

Photographing trees can be a very creative and yet challenging process. First of all unlike photographing people most trees are tall and therefore one is shooting from below creating a slightly distorted view. To overcome this problem try photographing from a distance with 300mm lens. There are many advantages of doing this, one is you can cover the whole of the tree from top to bottom including protruding branches. Secondly you get rid of the distortion and finally you can blur out the background which often can be distracting to the eye.

Here are some examples of my B&W tree photography using these techniques:
    - Black and White Tree Photography

Look forward to your comments.

Vitaly
    - Fine Art Flowers and Tree Photography, Black and White Nature Photography
    Last edited by vitalygeyman; 09-15-2010 at 04:18 AM.

RecurrentNerve is offline dPS Forum Member

Some very nice shots in your gallery there, and good tips. If only I had a 300mm lens!
    Seeker of the Peace, Part-time Chandelier Cleaner, a Legend in his own Time, Oppressor of Champions, Soldier of Fortune, World Traveller, Bon Vivant, Defender of Reason, All-round Good Guy, Casual Hero, Philosopher. Equations Solved, Revolutions Quelled, Banquets Organised, Governments Run, Test Rockets Flown, Bears Wrestled, Photos Taken.

kirbinster is offline Always carry your camera

You have some very nice shots there, I particularly like "236 Moses Tree B&W". I really prefer color to black and white for this type shot. I love taking those of the streaming light too, here are two I recently took:

Early Morning Sunlight in the Fog _ASC4923

Early Morning Sunlight in the Fog _ASC4917
    Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E III AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, SB-900 speedlight, 4 YN-622N transceivers, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
    Flickr Photobucket
    Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums

Default Tree Photography

Yes I love trees in color as well check out:
    - Tree Photography

These images are great with a little Photoshop enhancement you can turn them into works of art.

Vitaly

Barbara V is online now contemplates clouds

Love that 'evening glow ' photograph. How did you manage that?
    "No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." (Minor White)
    "Aim well, shoot fast, and scram." -- Henri Cartier-Bresson
    Nikon D800, Nikkor 50mm 1:4, Nikon D3000; Nikkor 18-55mm, and 55-200mm (kit lenses).
    www.roadsidegems.blogspot.com

Default Tree Photography

I have two versions of that image "Evening Glow"
    1. Evening Glow In Color
    2. Evening Glow B&W

Both were taken with a 300mm lense as I described above to blur the background. Then I used a number of Photoshop techniques to burn and dodge and add a little glow. They key I believe is not just techniques but developing an eye for composition, which is the most valuable asset of good photography.

So as you can see the pavement in this image curves nicely around the trees allowing the eye to follow into the distance. The evening sunlight lighting up the trees at angle creates a contrast and drama. There is an interplay between shadow and light. All together it creates an interesting composition.

Does that answer your question?
    Last edited by vitalygeyman; 09-15-2010 at 01:01 AM.

Default Tree Photography

Also wanted to mention that I often use a regular 18-55 mm lens the key is to distance yourself from the tree as much as your lens will allow you and then zoom in. And by the way I can write a whole article about professional photography with minimal equipment. Most of my equipment is second hand and very basic. I don't thing we always need the latest and the greatest, we just need to be creative.