Close
Close
    SteveSalt is offline I'm new here!

Default new view on fireworks

I read the DPS article on Fireworks and started thinking. (http://digital-photography-school.co...aph-fireworks/)

Last weekend was the big fireworks display here in Madison. I've taken some fireworks pics before, and frankly, a lot of fireworks pics start to look alike. I've looked at experimenting with different things, like:

length of exposure (3/5):
    rhythm and booms-8513.jpg

length of exposure (1/40):
    rhythm and booms-8566.jpg

intentional movement on my part (the camera):

rhythm and booms-8450.jpg

But the one i like the most came from a friend of mine as we sat there with our cameras trained to the sky. He said, "hey, zoom in and keep unfocused. dazzling." (ok i paraphrased as i could barely hear him).

rhythm and booms-8419.jpg

So thanks for writing the article, and to all those who commented at the bottom. Hope folks can go out there shoot some great shows...

and there's couple more pics on my flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ssalt/ (but not too many!)

Add some of yours below:

kewlpack is offline dPS Forum Member

The last shot is very cool. Being rich in color but abstract, it would work for several kinds of publishing.
    Photo Gear: Canon 400D | EF-S 17-85mm IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm IS | EF 50mm/1.8 | Promaster 5750DX
    My Flickr | TheStompBox.Net | My Facebook

HockeyFan is offline dPS +1000 Club

What ISO do you guys like to shoot fireworks at? I'm figuring you shoot for 5 to 10 seconds? Also interested in what fstop works best (DOF). What can you tell?
    Canon EOS 40D, 400D (EF 75-300mm, EFS 18-55mm, Sigma 50-200mm, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L)

Earth Home Construction Project Site: Stockton Underground
    Also: Photos @ Google
    and Photos @ Flickr

kewlpack is offline dPS Forum Member

You should be able to try anything from 2s-30s (or Bulb) @ f/8-f/16 (f/11!) @ ISO 100.

Use a TRIPOD!

Careful with really long exposures as your sky may become too light (maybe you want that though).
    Photo Gear: Canon 400D | EF-S 17-85mm IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm IS | EF 50mm/1.8 | Promaster 5750DX
    My Flickr | TheStompBox.Net | My Facebook

Default photo properties

my ISO varied greatly from 100-800. Mine photos are on flickr, you can see all the details in the "more properties" button in the right column...

SJH Foto is offline Banned

Nice pics! The third shot looks like squadrons traveling through hyperspace (I've gotta start turning my TV to something besides the sci-fi channel...)

Default sci-fi

i understand, i actually called the first one "death star explodes."

Grinma is offline I'm new here!

Default Loved your firework pictures

I loved your firework pictures. I put some of mine from last year in my first album on this site.

Hugs Grinma