Close
Close
    JT3370 is offline I'm new here!

Default Alpha DSLR's and MD lenses

Can anybody relate to how well the picture quality is when using MD lenses with Sony's Alpha series cameras?. I am also interested in how well they work with using the adapter and the Alpha systems functions. I have read some reviews of the pro and cons for using the lens adapter however I would really like to hear from someone who has actually worked with this setup. I have invested in several of these lenses and would prefer to still use them if they will work well with another system.

slh
    slh is offline dPS Forum Member

I have'nt used any Minolta MD lenes but I have used old Pentax lenes on my A230 with a pk-ma adapter. I think it works quite well. You do have to shoot totally manuel as there is no communacation between the lens and camera body. Here are a couple of examples, if you are interested, just excuse the sensor dust

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94056407@N00/5065184715/
    DSC02454 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Last edited by slh; 02-07-2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: wrong link

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

I'm a Canon shooter, not Sony, but I do use adapated manual focus lenses, and I think the only mounts you could easily adapt MD lenses to would be micro four-thirds or Sony NEX, really. Otherwise, you're in the same situation as Canon EOS shooters with FD/FL lenses.

Because the MD mount had a smaller film-to-lens-flange distance than the Alpha/Minolta AF mount, to achieve infinity focus, you need adapters with glass elements in them that act as teleconverters, so you have all the drawbacks of teleconverting no matter what you do: reduced max. aperture, increased focal length, and decreased sharpness are just par for the course. Throw in the fact that with a cheap adapter, you've got cheap glass and....

It might be worth it if the lens is outstanding to begin with, but optimally, you'd want to look for someone to convert the lens's mount for use on Alpha/Minolta AF.

I think your best source for first-hand accounts on this would be the dyxum forums or the mflenses forums.
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic G3. flickr stream and equipment list

Thanks SLH. From the looks of your photos I may give it a go...

Inkista, Thanks for the assistance. The lenses are all Minolta MD along with a matched 2X multiplier with macro. They produced some teriffic images. I'll check the sources for additional info..

S3000 is offline I'm new here!

I am using a md lens and the quality is very good. You can try it.
    Sony A300 / Minolta 70-210 F4 / Sony 28F2.8 / Minolta MD 35-105 / Flash: Metz 48 AF / Sony 16-80 Carl Zeiss / Tamron 70-300 DI LD

Quote Originally Posted by S3000 View Post
    I am using a md lens and the quality is very good. You can try it.
    S3000, thank you for the reply, I noticed the adapter is made by different manufacturers. Who manufactured yours?

S3000 is offline I'm new here!

It is a cheap China make I found on e-bay but works very well
    Sony A300 / Minolta 70-210 F4 / Sony 28F2.8 / Minolta MD 35-105 / Flash: Metz 48 AF / Sony 16-80 Carl Zeiss / Tamron 70-300 DI LD