Close
Close
    Birdland is offline I'm new here!

Default HDR Farm - Is it overdone?

HDR Mini Silo

Hello! I'm starting to play with HDR and I would like to know if you think if I over processed it. And if so, what can I do to fix it? I would like it to look more realistic than surreal, but I don't want to lose the whole surreal effect.

I combined 3 photos using Photomatix, -2 0 +2.
    Handheld
    ISO 400
    Canon Rebel xt, 18mm

Please let me know what you think!

Astro Visual is offline I'm new here!

You're going to struggle to keep the 'surreal' yet not overdo the HDR effect. I think you will need to choose one or the other in most cases.

The halo around the tower is quite evident. It's hard to avoid that with programs like Photomatix but it usually does detract from the photo I believe. Using a dodge tool in PS or similar can help to feather out that halo and make it less obvious.

The horizon here is tilted to the left and as a result it makes the tower and barn lean more as well. It appears that straightening the horizon and possibly then using the a perspective tool to straight the tower and barn a little might strengthen this as well.

Apart from that .. it looks to me like your foray into HDR is off to a great start. Keep it up!

dave.turley is offline dPS Forum Member

Hi,
    I agree with Astro, and HDR is a bit of an art. There's a balance that needs to be struck in my opinion. The best starting point and a struggle that I've been having is you absolutely have to start off with an interesting subject and a well exposed starting photograph.
    Have a look at this guy. His tutorial here is a fantastic user friendly introduction by probably the best HDR exponent I've seen. Some of his pictures are jaw dropping in their clarity and depth.
    Dave

HDR Tutorial | High Dynamic Range Tutorial

Birdland is offline I'm new here!

Thank you both. I guess if I had to choose, then I want it to be realistic looking.

Astro Visual is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdland View Post
    Thank you both. I guess if I had to choose, then I want it to be realistic looking.
    It's a nice feeling when people really like your photo and then have to ask if it's an HDR or not. It means you've processed it just enough I reckon.
    Having said that there's some awesome over the top HDR out there as well. Usually architecture or similar though but not always.