Close
Close
    climbhigh19 is offline I'm new here!

Default Around the town - 1st attempts at HDR

All taken with a Nikon D90 - 18-200 - in Castle Rock, CO.

All at ISO 200, tripod mounted, f/11. Photomatix Pro to Photoshop for the finishing touches.

The makeup of the HDR is -1, 0, +1. I tried -2/2, but there was too much light for where I was standing. I keep reading that -2/2 should be the settings, but I can't seem to make it work with the amount of light at night. Any thoughts?

Downtown Firehouse
    sta1hdr

B&B Resaraunt (I didn't notice that the sign was blown out until I got back to the computer...even on a -2 exposure)
    B&BHDR

Castle Cafe
    CastleCafeHDR

dave.turley is offline dPS Forum Member

Hi
    These are great, and I'd just say that the increments you used are suited to the situation. If your D90 is like my D5000 there are increments of spacing between 1 and 2 on the auto bracketing. These work well for me. As always, I like to point anyone considering HDR towards this tutorial. This guy produces amazing results, and his whole website is fascinating.
    HDR Tutorial | High Dynamic Range Tutorial
    Dave

ColoradoBrit is offline dPS Forum Member

Old Tavern

This is a real spooky coincidence!

I almost always shoot a single night shot and then use Photomatix (you can then copy the single shot and + or - to whatever you want the other two to be). It's really difficult (in my opinion) to shoot a three stop shot at night (passing traffic and people e.t.c.). The above shot was a single picture (then copied +2 & -2), converted the RAW in Elements and then used Topaz Adjust to give is some finer detail. The amount of light at night is mainly determined by the time allowed for the shot. If you want more light then increase the exposure length. I always try five second intervals to get a good bearing on the light i need to expose the shot. You can always adjust ISO but beware of the increased noise, that at pitch black nightime can be a pain! You didn't say how long your exposures were?

I was down in the old part of Castle Rock only last week! This shot is of the same building but a different angle. Great minds think alike.........

As Seen At: Flickr: MrD5000's Photostream
    Last edited by ColoradoBrit; 12-06-2010 at 03:19 PM.

climbhigh19 is offline I'm new here!

Nice! Thanks for the tips. My exposures varied in length since it was set on Aperture priority....and yes, getting a 3-shot set at night was a little tricky....just involved waiting for people/cars to pass through.