Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    kirbinster is offline Always carry your camera

Default Possible to batch convert nef-->jpeg

Is it possible to batch convert a bunch of raw Nikon nef files to jpegs? IF so how? I have both photoshop and capture nx. Thanks.

I found that you can do it in capture NX but I don't like the way it does it - the quality does not seem as good as the small jpg that my D40 creates at shoot time when it saves the raw. Do I really have to do each one manually to get better quality?
    Last edited by kirbinster; 08-05-2007 at 11:29 AM.
    Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E III AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, SB-900 speedlight, 4 YN-622N transceivers, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
    Flickr Photobucket
    Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums

McNicks is offline dPS Forum Member

Angry

There are ways to do this in Photoshop, but I use the Photoshop Automator Actions from Complete Digital Photography:

http://www.completedigitalphotograph...ndex.php?p=339

To build an automator task. I have one that adds IPTC data, resizes and then saves as JPEG for files I want to upload to Flickr. By saving the task as

I normally tweak my shots in Photoshop and save as JPEG or PSD but, as far as an application, I can just drag the task into my dock and then drag and drop photos that I want to convert onto it. I have just checked that I can drag my RAW files too. It works great, although I think that ACR will be converting the RAW using the default settings only.

Does anybody know a good site that I could use to upload and share a PDF? I can print the Automator task as PDF so that you can all see the steps.

Edit: I have no idea why the little angry face was added to my reply there!

Nicole is offline Dr. Super Moderator

Yup, I've used those automator actions from there and they're pretty good

You could also make your own action in photoshop and then run it... there must be a way to batch apply actions that I'm just not thinking of right now. I'm sure there's an easy way to do it to your satisfaction though
    Nikon D600 | D90 | Sony NEX-3
    Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
    My Flickr

McNicks is offline dPS Forum Member

In Photoshop, you can record a bunch of things that you do to an image as an action, which you can then apply to other images using a keystroke or in a batch. This is how I do stuff to more than one image ...

Open all of the images that you want to modify in Photoshop. Click on the Actions tab, which is next to the History tab at the right-hand side (unless you have moved your windows around). Click on the folder icon to create your own actions folder - I normally create one called 'My Actions' just to keep them separate from the default Photoshop actions. Then create a new action by clicking on the file icon. Give your action a name in the little dialogue box that pops up then hit the record button. You should see the little record icon (the red disc) highlighted at the bottom of the action pane.

Now work through the things you want to do with the top-most image. For example, you might resize is to 6" x 4" @ 72ppi and then save it as a JPEG using quality setting 12. Once you have done what you wanted with the top-most image, click the stop button - the blue square - at the bottom of the actions tab.

Now you can process the rest of the open files using the action that you have created. Go to File -> Automate -> Batch ... and select the action you have just created in the Play section of the dialogue box that appears. Choose Opened Files as the source then hit the OK button. Photoshop will apply the action to each of the files you have opened.

I have no idea how to work Adobe Camera Raw into the action, but if you open all of your RAW images at once, then you can apply the same ACR settings to all of the files by modifying the first one, clicking Select All at the top-left and then clicking Synchronize. Then you can click Open N Images at the bottom right of ACR to open the images in Photoshop, which puts you in a position to record an action and run it as a batch over all open files as above.

smc1377 is offline Critique | Share My Shots Moderator

Using Adobe Camera RAW is super easy.

The way I batch convert with Adobe Camera Raw, I first open Adobe Bridge and point the program to my folder with the RAW images. I then select all the RAW files I want to convert to JPG, then right click on one of them and select "Open in Camera Raw..."

Then on the left top of the new screen, I choose "Select All" and then at the bottom right, I click on the button "Save X images" with x=the number of images you have selected.

A new window will pop open asking you to specify a few things like where to save the images, what format you want them saved in and what compression, how to name the files, etc.

Super easy.

kirbinster is offline Always carry your camera

Is there a way to do that so that I end up with a starting conversion that would automatically be the same (but higher resolution) than the small jpeg file that is created by the camera if I shoot as RAW+small jpeg (my D40 will only do Small in conjunction with raw).

The point is that I find it takes me a long time to adjust the raw to get to a base starting point. I would like to get the same output as if I shot jpeg and then start tweaking from there.
    Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E III AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, SB-900 speedlight, 4 YN-622N transceivers, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
    Flickr Photobucket
    Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums

ToddC is offline dPS Forum Member

Here's another way to convert Raw to JPEG:

1. Open Photoshop and Click on File/Scripts/Image Processor

2. Follow the Instructions in the Dialog Box...It’s that easy!!!

Good Luck...Todd

smc1377 is offline Critique | Share My Shots Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kirbinster View Post
    Is there a way to do that so that I end up with a starting conversion that would automatically be the same (but higher resolution) than the small jpeg file that is created by the camera if I shoot as RAW+small jpeg (my D40 will only do Small in conjunction with raw).

The point is that I find it takes me a long time to adjust the raw to get to a base starting point. I would like to get the same output as if I shot jpeg and then start tweaking from there.
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you want the image to basically be just like the small jpg that your camera creates when you have it in RAW + JPG mode.

Which in that case, the answer is no. No as in cameras have their own algorithms and processes that they do in camera to make the pictures look the way they look.

If you were to take a RAW image and not adjust a thing and save it, it will look different from the small jpg.

You could possibly replicate the processes that are done in-camera. And if you could figure it out, then in the process listed above using Adobe Camera RAW, once you SELECT ALL IMAGES, you can then adjust all those sliders on the right side (a bunch of options) and apply to all images first, then save them all.

In other words, in Adobe Camera Raw, you batch adjust images by adjusting on one image, then applying the adjustments to all pictures with the click of one button.

kc_gladys is offline I'm new here!

Thanks for the super easy way to convery NEF to JPEG. This was really easy. I am new to Photoshop & beginer SLR user.

IABoomer is offline Too busy to shoot lately

I just tried this with a bunch of Nikon NEF files from Christmas. IRFanView should batch convert RAW files to JPG using whatever the JPG mode settings from the camera are. I shot RAW files over Christmas with the Nikon "Vivid" setting on the picture control, since that's similar to how I would probably edit the images. IRFanView converted the NEF files to JPG files with that vibrant look, not he flat dull look of the RAW.

IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide
    My flickr

Nikon D5000 / Nikon 35mm f/1.8 AF-S lens / Nissin DI-866ii flash

Page 1 of 2 12 Last