Close
Close
    Triglav is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Create a negative image

I am doing this great photography course in Amsterdam. It is really nice to talk to other wannabe photographers about each others work. Also we get assignments. One of them is to hold a presentation about a photographer and following that you have to recreate one of the photographers photo's.

I chose Lynn Davis as photographer. The photo I chose to reconstruct is this one:

To get to the question after this long introduction: How can I recreate that negative effect in photoshop? I could not find a descent tutorial, maybe you guys can help me out.

Thanks!
    My Photoblog
    My homepage
    ~the running man~

Nicole is offline Dr. Super Moderator

Triglav- I've got some ideas on how this was done. I'll post up something better when I've got it better worked out. But, from some preliminary stuff, it looks like if you desaturate the the blue, and depending on what the foreground is (I'm guessing dirt?), then partially desaturate the rest of the image, then invert the picture, you'll get a pretty similar result. Will post again in a little bit after I try out a few things. Just to add, I don't think it's a simple Invert (Ctrl + I in photoshop).
    Nikon D600 | D90 | Sony NEX-3
    Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
    My Flickr

Default Ok, try this

So, this is based purely on trying to recreate the look in the picture that you posted, so I'm not sure if you're only looking for a tutorial on that or on negative images in general, but hopefully this helps.

My first step was actually inverting the sample picture that you provided to see what it would look like in the positive. This presented a mostly greyscale and desaturated yellow picture. The other thing I realized was that if you invert blue, you actually get orange, hence my theory that the blue has been desaturated.

Here's the before and after:

1. First, I created a new hue / saturation adjustment layer. I desaturated both the blue and the cyan to -100. I then desaturated the master colour to approximately -35. This kept some of the colour, but made it more muted.

2. I merged the layer down and inverted the image using Ctrl + I (or Apple + I if you're using Mac).

3. This created a close approximation, but I then created a new levels layer and moved the grey point closer to the white point.

4. To finish it off, I used the burn tool on the cloud highlights to darken the clouds a little bit.

I realize it's not perfect, but that kind of gives you the basics, and with these steps, hopefully you'll be able to work more on your own image and get it even closer.

Hope that helps
    Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
    My Flickr

I am impressed! Thank you. I will try this as soon as I get home from work.

yes, i am at work now
    My Photoblog
    My homepage
    ~the running man~

mikem12188 is offline dPS Forum Member

Nicole,

Are you helping someone with their homework?????

I must admit..it felt a bit like cheating on an exam...
    My Photoblog
    My homepage
    ~the running man~

lol man, I'm seriously passing up an opportunity to make some money as a tutor Seems like I'm always helping someone with their homework I'm just too helpful lol Besides, Triglav asked nicely

PS Congrats on your 100th post Triglav
    My Flickr

He..cool..I never noticed..

thanks!
    My Photoblog
    My homepage
    ~the running man~

Saralonde is offline Administrator

Nicole, as a Photoshop klutz, I'm impressed!
    Linda
    My Gear
    OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
    flickr