Close
Close

Thread: Grandchildren

vshelley1 is offline I'm new here!

Default Grandchildren

0441_edited-1
    Hi again. Apologies for not getting this right. Hopefully right now. As you can see I really am new to all this. I took this pic of my grandchildren on Canon EOS1100, set on basic portrait mode as I am still learning about the creative modes. I feel the overall colour isn't very good and particularly his hair which looks very red and is really light brown. I would really appreciate any advice. Apologies again and many thanks.
    Last edited by vshelley1; 03-13-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Doug Sundseth is offline Not quite older than dirt

Picture is set to private, so is invisible to anyone but you.

Also, you'll probably get more responses if you take a look at the Critique Forum Rules and edit your post accordingly.

BigFuzzy is offline Cookie Eating Moderator
    Under a bridge, somewhere in northern Europe.

Besides reading the Rules as Doug correctly suggests, may I also point you to THIS thread which will help you properly embed the public image so we can all see it on this thread without having to go to flickr to see it (which we can't do right now since it's set to private on flickr).

Thanks, and welcome to DPS!

Doug Sundseth is offline Not quite older than dirt

White balance is just a bit warm. You can fix this in post with almost any image editor pretty easily.

I don't know which you're shooting in, but I'll note that it's easier to fix problems like this if you shoot in RAW than it is if you shoot in .jpg.

Thanks Doug. Still learning about white balance. I shoot in jpg. Not confident enough yet to use raw. Thanks.

rachb is offline i like chocolate milk

At least shoot RAW+Jpeg if you're unsure. Then grab an editing program that can edit RAW and you will be set. Trust me, you will be amazed at why you only shot Jpeg until now. This would be a really easy fix in RAW, but you can only do so much in Jpeg. I started shooting RAW last year, and I definitely wish I would have started using it sooner- I have tons of photos that could have been saved!

Check out this comparison and you can see the differences:
    RAW vs JPEG (JPG) – The Ultimate Visual Guide tutorial

The good thing about your photo is that it's pretty sharp- good job on that. Of course the color is the main negative, like others have said. Keep posting though, and you'll get some great advice here!
    www.rachelbaldwinphoto.com

Canon T3i, 18-55mm, 50mm f/1.8, 18-200 f/3.5, 70-200mm f/4L, Speedlite 430EX II, Speedlite 580EX II...

ccting is offline Banned
    Taking Photo is to elicate, aim, method, measure, result, trace & improv

Wow.. very pretty grandchildren.. ;D

Great photo with bg harmony

Quote Originally Posted by ccting View Post
    Wow.. very pretty grandchildren.. ;D

Great photo with bg harmony
    Thank you. I just really wish the colour had been better. But I'll keep trying.