Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Lightning

highping is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Lightning

Here are some of my lightning shots taken over the last couple months. I know the setup isn't the greatest on these shots, but these are the best views I can get from the dryness of my home. These were just 'learning the ropes' shots, but now that I have the technique somewhat down, I plan on investing in some rain gear so I can go out and get some better framed shots. Question... Is it worth trying to post the wires out of the second two, or should I just wait until I can get some better shots?

Lightning - 01 by highping, on Flickr

Lightning - 02 by highping, on Flickr

Lightning - 3 by highping, on Flickr

Keenlearner is offline Capturing Nature's Beauty

Wow! Beautiful captures. This is something I haven't tried yet...we don't have many thunder storms where I live, but maybe over winter I will get the opportunity. Thank you for sharing these shots with us.
    Canon EOS 450D,Canon PowerShot S5 IS, CanonPowershot A470,
    Pauline
    "The camera opened my soul to see all of the beauty that God has given this world to behold. ~ "
    For viewing in larger size, please go to: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pndbethell

Heaterguy is offline ZONE V DUDE!!

Nice shots. TFS.
    Nikon D-300, Nikkor 50mm & 35mm f1.8, Nikkor 18-70mm, Nikkor 70-300mm VR, AF Nikkor 60mm 1:2.8, SB-800 Speedlight, Fong Lightsphere, Lally Cap, Polaris Flash Meter,(2) Nissin Di866 Speedlights

gingindhs is offline dPS Forum Member

Yes definitely post the wires out if you have the knowledge. It will make a huge difference to the overall look of the photo.
    Pictures remind us when our minds can't!

Thanks for the comments guys!

gingindhs: I think I will try to post them out. I have not done any post work to any of my shots yet, but have been browsing the before/after section of the forum and I'm realizing what a huge difference it can make to a shot. I may have some real gems that I have overlooked because they didn't come out of the camera as 'gems'.

Keenlearner: You really should try it. It's not as difficult as one might think. Some quick tips to get you started... First, shoot at night.... Day lightning is a WHOLE different game requiring much more skill (skill that I don't have yet). At night, it's really not that tough. You just need a tripod, a storm and some patients (and a timer is helpful too). I used trial and error to get the settings right but here's what I have settled on for a starting point: f11, ISO 200, then find the longest shutter speed that doesn't overexpose the terrain. In the case of the second 2 shots, I was at 13 sec exposure. Then you just shoot over and over and over (this is where the timer is helpful). With the shutter open for xx seconds, sooner or later you will catch one. The part that I have found most difficult so far...focus. It's so hard to set focus on something you can't see.
    Note: these settings are just what worked for me and may be a good place to start.

Edit: Safety is a big factor for anyone shooting lightning. Make sure you shoot from a 'safe' location
    Last edited by highping; 03-03-2012 at 04:11 PM.

ok... here's my very first attempt at post...

Cleaned up version of shot 2 above ...

Lightning_2_After by highping, on Flickr

Better? Wow, that was easier than I thought... gonna really have to start learning/doing post processing!!

lrpinsonrendon is offline I'm new here!

Default .

That is really sharp.

Image 3 after a little post...

Lightning_3_After by highping, on Flickr

I am really starting to like the idea of processing now... still seems a little like 'cheating' but I do see the advantages.

Claudia5573 is offline dPS +1000 Club

Very nicely done. Hard to believe you have done post processing before.
    Stunning photos.

Thanks Claudia. Very nice of you
    I think these were good images to begin my PP journey with. The lack of detail in the sky made it fairly easy to blend out the wires. I could see where it would get much more difficult with a more detailed scene though.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last