Close
Close
    katiescott724 is offline I'm new here!

Angry Front Focus vs. Back Focus

I've been attending a seminar the past few weeks and a few people that shot canon were speaking about how you can focus with your thumb with the button that looks like * so that when you recompose you don't lose the focus. Do Nikon's have this capability? I shoot currently with a Nikon D70s. I'm wondering first if I can do it on my camera. Then, I'm wondering how to do it and why. I think it has something to do with AE mode?? What does that mean? I'm reading my manual, but not understanding!!!!

Murtasma is offline Critique Moderator

I'm not really sure what they are talking about here perhaps someone can shed some light. However to me it sounds like they have set their auto focus mode to servo mode I believe which is the mode that when you focus on an object the camera will keep that point in focus while you zoom in and out or follow the action.

Not sure if the D70 can do that but I'm pretty sure it can. Look in your manual for Auto Focus Modes.

jdepould is offline Critique Moderator

I think you're referring to the AE-L/AF-L button, which locks exposure, focus or both depending on your settings.
    JamieDePould.com + OneYearPhoto.com
    Nikon D300, D700, Sony NEX5n
    Zeiss 2/25; 1.4/50; 1.4/85

Please read the rules before posting a critique thread. Rules here.

clockdoc is offline dPS +1000 Club

Hi,
    I just looked at a Canon Digital Rebel on www.stevesdigicams.com and jdepould is correct in saying ir is the auto exposure/auto focus lock button. The button also serves as an image magnification button in the playback mode. My Nikon D80 has a similar function button but it is located on the camera back. It has to be a little confusing with the class using the Canon camera when you have a Nikon. Please let us know if you have additional questions.
    Sincerely,
    Lee -clockdoc-

neilwood is offline dPS Forum Member

The reason for using the setup (which is a custom function on Canon cameras) is to seperate the focus and exposure controls.

Can basically be used 2 ways -
    1) AF/ No AE - locks focus but not exposure. Ideal for AI servo where tracking - the exposure is locked on pressing the shutter button.
    2) No AF/ AE - locks exposure but not focus. Ideal for shots where you want to keep a light reading and then recompose the image.
    Armed with a Canon and not afraid to use it!
    flickr, My blog, My Gear
    Feel free to edit and repost my images only on DPS